Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2001 1:52:05 PM EDT
At about 16:45 yesturday 08/14/2001 our 6 month old Cocker Spaniel puppy was hit by a car and killed. The driver did not skid or stop just kept on going. He hit my puppy so hard he was thrown 50 ft into a lake. My wife is taking it extremely hard as Buster was her baby. She would be a lot better off right now if the person would have just stopped and said they where sorry. From the time of day I believe it was one of the high school students.

In Loving Memory
Buster (B Brown) Lubecky
April 16, 2001-August 14, 2001
It was a great 4 Months and at least you died free.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 1:54:45 PM EDT
[#1]
If a Moderator would please E-mail me so that a picture may be added to my post. I don't know how to do it and would greatly appreciate any assistance. Thank You.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 1:58:25 PM EDT
[#2]
My sympathies to you and your wife. Four years ago I had to put down my 13 year old Lab and 14 year old black & tan. Even though I knew it was the right thing to do, it was the hardest thing I've had to do 'til I watched my Dad die. The devotion of a good dog is a wonderful thing.

"I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am."- Unknown
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 2:03:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry to hear that.

e-mail the pic to: [email protected]

I'll upload it to my FTP space and post it for ya.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 2:05:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 2:28:40 PM EDT
[#5]
You and your wife have my sincere heart felt sypmathies.
As to the drive he may have experienced a wide range of emotions and was simply frightened to stop. I know it is not something that you or I would do but especially if he/she were younger we can see where they may not have stopped.
If you believe in such things (I do not) if there is a Heaven I believe that there must be a special place for dogs. Either way they are so much more than that. They are family. Hang in there buddy, some of us share your pain.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 2:32:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
From the time of day I believe it was one of the high school students.
View Quote

uhh what does that have to do with anything?  Sorry about your loss.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I tried hold this back but I can't; was your puppy on the road or was car in your yard?  If you "have lost all faith in humanity" for this you are going to have a tough row to hoe later on.  I again feel very sorry for your loss, as a dog owner myself but, for you give up now you are missing a lot of chances to give up on some of the truly sick individuals in this world.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I am sorry that you lost a pet to someone who was such an inconsiderate person.  He/she should have stopped and at least expressed his condolence at your loss.  But in today's society can you blame him for not stopping?  

I also have to wonder what the dog was doing in the street in the first place if you cared for him so much?  Did he run away, or escape from the yard? All street wise dogs have survived their close encounter with a car, the rest end up casualties.  

Pets are a responsibility of their owner.  They should not be in the street, or running loose if you truly care about their welfare. I don't like to keep my dogs confined, but it is for their safety and the safety of others that it is done.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 2:51:46 PM EDT
[#9]
No lectures or arguments, fellas.

The man's puppy is dead.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 2:57:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No lectures or arguments, fellas.

The man's puppy is dead.
View Quote

Yes, but the point is that everyone is responsible for the well being of their pet(s).  I was not lecturing, merely bringing my opinion on the responsibilities of all pet owners to keep their animals safe to the board.

I have buried 3 of my 4 dogs in the past 18 months.  I know what it is like to lose a pet.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#13]
The puppy was at a friends house being pet sat when it happened. The person claims that she was playing with him and her dog and went into the house to answer the phone. I do take responsability for my pets I had arranged for him to be in a safe place where he could run and play all day while I and my wife where at work instead of him being cooped up in our apmt. My wife is a nanny for the people who where watching him and another family so she could watch him 3 days a week when she was there. The other two days we relied on the other person to watch him.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry to hear that bro . . .
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I feel empathy for you and your wife and least
not your pet sitter.
My family to had a cocker named Buster.
I agree, get another soon, it does help the
grieving process.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#16]
[img]http://www.mcuzi.com/frankthespank/MVC-009F.jpg[/img]

Cute doggy, very sad.....
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry to hear about your loss.  Buster was a very pretty little puppy.  

My dogs are my kids & I would be extremely upset to see something like this happen to them...or any other pet.

I hope your pain lessens with time.

They are not "only" or "just" dogs...they are loved family members.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#18]
First of all I'm sorry for your loss, I know how attached you can get to animals. But for you to lose all faith in humanity because someone hit your dog and did not stop is silly. I would be very hesitant if I hit a dog to stop and tell the owner, if the dog is dead, what is the point, besides the owner could very well be some crazy and take it out on you. Your dogs death is no ones fault but your own, you are responsible for your animal, not strangers driving down the street, if you have anger, have it for yourself for being careless with your pet.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#19]
That is a nice looking doggie.  I have a cocker too, and always worry about something bad happening to him.  

If you want another cocker, check the rescue groups.  You can help to save a cocker spaniel that might get put down otherwise:

[url]www.cockeradoption.com[/url]

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 11:49:17 PM EDT
[#20]
 This helps to keep me going

Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here,
that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they
can run and play together. There is plenty of food and water and sunshine,
and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who have been ill or old are restored to health and vigor;
those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we
remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy
and content, except for one small thing-they each miss someone very special
to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent, his eager body starts to quiver. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain
upon your face, your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once
more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life, but
never absent from your heart.
Then together you and your special pet cross the Rainbow Bridge.
-Author Unknown

I know I've got a lot to look forward to when I get there.

Link Posted: 8/16/2001 12:48:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I would be very hesitant if I hit a dog to stop and tell the owner, if the dog is dead, what is the point, besides the owner could very well be some crazy and take it out on you.
View Quote

That reminds me of something I witnessed in front of my house.  My neighbor across the street had some guests over.  The guests had a large poodle with them.  They were all out in the front yard talking when the poodle ran out into the street.  Sure enough, a truck came along and hit it.  The dog died on impact.  I watched as the man stopped, got out of the truck and proceeded to apologize profusely.  He looked genuinely sorry.  The owner of the dog just screamed at him, calling him every name in the book. Finally, she told him to just go away.  He backed up still apologizing and got back in his truck and drove off.

All I can say is WHAT A BITCH!!!!  Even though he didn't have to, he had the guts to stop and apologize and that's how he gets treated.  They didn't have the dog on a leash.  It was her fault it ran into the street.  I couldn't believe what I saw.

That's why people are afraid of stopping after something like that happens.

Sticking to the original message, I'm truly sorry ADTECHARMS for what happened.  In that picture, he's a real cutey.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 1:28:50 AM EDT
[#22]
My condolences as well.

Uspc..... I've seen the same thing.  Some people just piss me off.  

Link Posted: 8/16/2001 2:53:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The puppy was at a friends house being pet sat when it happened. The person claims that she was playing with him and her dog and went into the house to answer the phone. I do take responsability for my pets I had arranged for him to be in a safe place where he could run and play all day while I and my wife where at work instead of him being cooped up in our apmt. My wife is a nanny for the people who where watching him and another family so she could watch him 3 days a week when she was there. The other two days we relied on the other person to watch him.
View Quote

Not trying to be a smart ass during a difficult time for you, but in your position I would definately have lost faith in my pet sitter...
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 3:53:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Man thats really a bummer. I used to have a cocker spaniel when I was a kid and someone hit the dog the same way. I know how you feel.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 3:56:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would be very hesitant if I hit a dog to stop and tell the owner, if the dog is dead, what is the point, besides the owner could very well be some crazy and take it out on you.
View Quote

That reminds me of something I witnessed in front of my house.  My neighbor across the street had some guests over.  The guests had a large poodle with them.  They were all out in the front yard talking when the poodle ran out into the street.  Sure enough, a truck came along and hit it.  The dog died on impact.  I watched as the man stopped, got out of the truck and proceeded to apologize profusely.  He looked genuinely sorry.  The owner of the dog just screamed at him, calling him every name in the book. Finally, she told him to just go away.  He backed up still apologizing and got back in his truck and drove off.

All I can say is WHAT A BITCH!!!!  Even though he didn't have to, he had the guts to stop and apologize and that's how he gets treated.  They didn't have the dog on a leash.  It was her fault it ran into the street.  I couldn't believe what I saw.

That's why people are afraid of stopping after something like that happens.

Sticking to the original message, I'm truly sorry ADTECHARMS for what happened.  In that picture, he's a real cutey.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
View Quote

Been there, done that.

Was traveling along at 55 mph a few years ago, when a kid rolled right into the highway in front of me on his bicycle.  His dog was right behind.  Missed the kid, thank God, but the dog was smeared for about a hundred feet in the slide.  I ended up stopped sideways in the highway.  Sitting there a moment to collect my wits, here comes a car backing up fast.  Out jumps this clown wanting to know why I didn't miss the dog as well! Although still in shock from the event, we exchanged choice words about each other with the crying child providing backround music.

Since then, I have hit several other pets in the road.  Remembering this incident, I have not stopped.  

Never stop for roadkill, it is not worth the abuse you will take for something that was not your fault.

Link Posted: 8/16/2001 4:14:50 AM EDT
[#26]
All I can say is WHAT A BITCH!!!! Even though he didn't have to, he had the guts to stop and apologize and that's how he gets treated. They didn't have the dog on a leash. It was her fault it ran into the street.
View Quote

Amen to that!
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 4:28:17 AM EDT
[#27]
That's too bad!  Sorry for your loss, you clearly were attached.

I will admit to you that if it were me I wouldn't have stopped either.  About 10 years ago, a friend and I were driving through a residential neighborhood when a puppy ran out in front of us and we hit it.  We stopped.  Big mistake.  The owner was beside himself and could have easily committed a crime of passion.  I beleive that the only reason he didn't attack my friend (the driver) was that I was there as well, and good sense told him not to do anything.  He treated the situation like we drove right through his living room and and ran over his dog sleeping at the foot of his sofa.  It was an eye opener to see how wild eyed someone can get.

Having that guy stop would have made the situation seem less offensive, but would not have changed it much in fact.  Many pet owners are not rational when it comes to their pets, so if this ever happens to me, I'll keep going simply to avoid making things worse.  

Remember that only you knew that you weren't going to go off!  
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 10:34:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Sorry for your family and your little pet. I hope that you can find that *censored* and to say to him what ou think about...
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 10:50:59 AM EDT
[#29]
i am so sorry. both for you and yours, but especially sorry for the cold-hearted, un-feeling bunch of testosterone driven f*#ks that decided to reply.

listen people, i'm sure that it would be "easier" to avoid the responsibility of apologizing face to face with someone who you have wronged, but are you such a bunch of sissys  that you run and hide whenever you f*#k up? scared of someone's reaction to you running down their pets? what sort of men are you? sheesh! the guy comes out and posts this, hoping for a little sympathy to ease his and her suffering, and you go and blame him?

remember that the punk who did this was speeding. to blame anyone but him, would be wrong. to run and hide from responsibilty like a little pansey is wrong.

lack of back-bone is what is bringing this country down, and people who shirk, just add to the problem and fall right into the anti's plot, which ultimately seeks to take personal responsibilty away from the private citizen, and place it into the hands of the government.

if this incident didn't make him lose faith in human nature, than this thread definately will. [V]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Me Too!

[moon]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 11:19:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 11:37:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Thank you very much
View Quote

anytime.

Wronged?
View Quote

yes, to hurt a man, woman or family, and running away is wrong.

[red]Sissies ?[/red] I got a serious problem thinking any one here is a sissy. [red]F*#k'd up?[/red] Says who?  
View Quote

so did i, until i read this thread.

The kind that say what we think, rather you like it or not.  
View Quote

from the safety of the web...big men indeed! but when it comes time to "face the music" nowhere to be found!

Empathy yes, sympathy no. Emotion does not negate responsibility. I am responsible for every thing I do.  
View Quote

i agree, and i hope you are.

Nowhere did I see anything to suggest that the vehicle that hit this animal was speeding. Blame, who says their has to be absolute blame for an unfortunate circumstance.  Accepting responsibility and taking blame are two very different things.    
View Quote

ok, i re-read it, it said that people "often go 75 in a 35"  not that this kid (or whomever) was speeding. correction noted. as to your blame point, yes they are two different things, but the person responsible (he who has the bloody car) should at least own up, be a man, and say something - anything.

...run and hide, pansy? Big difference in avoiding unnecessary confrontation and running and hiding.  
View Quote

sounds like justification to me. i could avoid the confrontation of my shitty job by collecting welfare, but i don't, i won't hide.

So now the government is to blame as well?
View Quote

no, you missed the point! those who don't accept personal responsibility will become hapless pawns of govt. - just like the anti's want.

If this incident and thread is all it takes to loose faith so be it.  The weak need not apply.
View Quote

you're speaking absolutely, what i was referring to is more or less temporary, his faith may or may not be re-affirmed in the future.

[i][b]"If you're not part of the Solution,
you/re part of the problem"[/i][/b]
View Quote

that was my point to begin with.

Link Posted: 8/16/2001 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#36]
SGB and FattyM4 please stop.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Sorry about your loss
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 2:31:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Having an 8 month old puppy myself, I can understand the shock you feel for losing your dog.  After all, they only offer unconditional love.  

The unfortunate thing is that your pup is a breed known to take off to investigate whatever catches his eye (or nose).  It does sound, however, that the driver was speeding and only made the problem worse by doing so.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 3:07:07 PM EDT
[#40]
My sympathies. I hope your sense of faith is soon restored. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#41]
I have to admit, sometimes it doesn't pay to stop.

Years ago I drove an icecream truck for a living.  The truck had a governor on it for "cruising" the neighborhoods.  You would set the gov, cruise along ringing the bell (Oh god, that was when I started hearing the VOICES), and stop at corners to sell the kiddies their daily sugar rush.

In one neighborhood, this little dog would chase me all the way down the street.   Now, I can't stop cause the dog waits.  I can't speed up as that would be dangerous (you do not want fast icecream trucks.  Little kids are not rational about them).  So after time I ignored the dog, set the gov and did my thing.

The dog would circle the truck barking for the whole block.  I mean, the gov is set for 4 MPH.  So the dog literally circled the truck while I drove.

Well, one day rover "slipped".  About a foot in front of a tire.  By the time I hit the brakes both tires rolled over him.  Dead on the spot.  I stopped and got out.  The kids start crying.  I say I'm sorry, when their mother runs out.   She gets a bit irrational on me telling me I'm gonna pay and calls the cops.  I decide to leave.  Cops come (hell, I'm only four blocks away, I'm still working man).  They take a report.  The lady is going ballistic with them until she hears them ask me if I want to file a complaint for an unleashed dog.  That shut her up.

I guess I can see the impulse to stop and apologize.  I can also  see the reasoning to keep going.  

Whatever.  Sorry about your dog man.  It always sucks to lose a pet.

James
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Kolchak, I copied and printed the poem you posted. Although it she cried she loved the poem and it made my wife very happy.

A personal thanks to all that have posted here and the ones who have simply read it. This thread has done a lot to help restore my faith. Your condolances are very much appreciated and have helped my wife and and I greatly. Thank You
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 10:09:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

if this incident didn't make him lose faith in human nature, than this thread definately will. [V]
View Quote

Amen, I am appalled by some of the replies.
DOUBLE[V][V]
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 12:18:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Your dog is playing with all the pets you have lost over your lifetime. The little guy is up in heaven right now, god took away all its pain and will keep him company until you can meet up with him someday.

Paper

Link Posted: 8/17/2001 12:43:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Paper

GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!   [puke] [puke]    [:D]
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 1:32:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Paper

GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!   [puke] [puke]    [:D]
View Quote

My post wasn’t meant for you, perhaps you should think about that before you make rude comments. This guy lost something that was very important to him and his family. Many people consider their pets as members of the family and when one dies its not easy.

Paper

Link Posted: 8/17/2001 4:31:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Adtecharms, I'm sorry to learn of the death of your pet.  I hope that the pain of this difficult time will soon be forgotten.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 9:53:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Firstly, I am sorry about your dog. I know how attached people become to their pets, and to a lot of people, it IS losing a member of the family when a pet dies. Secondly, it was an ACCIDENT, people. Noone meant for it to happen, but it did. Nowhere is it said that the driver "ran down" the dog. What'd he do, zero in on the dog using the hood ornament as an aiming device? I doubt it. Before anybody goes cursing the driver to the fires of hell, remember what kind of people are out there. Remember the thread about people keying cars and breaking windows just for a pro-2nd bumper sticker? Huh? How do you know the person who's dog you just ACCIDENTLY killed isn't some nut who's gonna come after you with a baseball bat. People get murdered every day over things FAR less important than hitting someone's pet; I'm sure any of the cops on the board can testify to this. Yes, if I accidently hit someone's pet, I'd stop. But I can't blame the driver in this instance for not stopping. Maybe they thought about it, and decided the risk of getting their head blown off wasn't quite worth it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top