Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/17/2006 2:20:26 PM EDT
I've drafted legislation that I believe is vitally important to protect motorists from dangerous vehicles known as Hot Rods. These vehicles - some of which are capable of exceeding 75 mph - have absolutely no legitimate use on public highways. I urge you to contact your legislators and voice your support for this important legislation:

Section 1: Title. This Act shall be known as the Dangerous Vehicle Act of 2006

Section 2: Findings
1) The legislature finds the following:
   a) Hot Rods are street racing-syle vehicles designed to operate at high speed. The driver can
       simply accelerate - as opposed to carefully steer - the vehicle to effortlessly bring the vehicle
       to an unsafe speed.

b) According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Hot Rods are a
       factor in 135 fatal crashes each year.

c) Automobile manufacturers have for many years made, marketed and sold to civilians, high
       performance versions of racing vehicles designed with features specifically intended to
       increase the speed for racing and law enforcement applications.

d) The availability of racing-style Hot Rods poses a valid threat to the health and safety of
       motorists.

Section 3: Definitions.
1) The term "Hot Rod" shall mean:
  a) Any carbuerated or throttle body injected vehicle capable of producing at least 150 horsepower
      and that also posseses any of the following:
         i)   If the vehicle is a car, a spoiler located rear of the quarter panel;

ii)   If the vehicle is a car, a manual transmission in any configuration, including but not limited
              to a four speed, a five speed with overdive or an automatic with a manual valve body, that
              allows the driver of the vehicle to grasp the gear shift with the shifting hand such that the
              web of the shifting hand, between the thumb and forefinger, can be placed below the top of
              the knob to facilitate manual operation of the transmission;

iii)   If the vehicle is a pickup, a tonneau cover of any type or configuration, including but not
               limited to a hinged cover, a rollaway cover, or a hydraulically assisted cover;

iv)   A driveshaft loop or shroud;

v)    An automatic transmission brake;

vi)   Any dash mounted feature capable of indicating engine RPM;

vii)  If the vehicle is carbureted, any carburetor capable of flowing more than 600 cubic feet of
              air per minute, or consisting of more than two barrels;

viii)  If the vehicle is throttle body injected, any throttle body with a diameter greater than 60
               millimeters;

b) Any vehicle capable of accepting a 5 inch diameter muffler;

c) Any vehicle with a rear tire width exceeding 10 inches;

d) Any vehicle capable of accepting a nitrous bottle;

e) Any vehicle with more than 6 cylinders;

f) Any conversion kit or other combination of parts from which a Hot Rod, as defined herein, can be
     assembled if the parts are in possession or under the control of any person.

2) The term "Carburetor" shall mean any device which consists of an open pipe, throat or barrel in
    the form of a venturi, through which the air passes into the inlet manifold of an engine.

3) The term "Throttle Body Injection" shall mean any device which centeraly injects fuel in the part
    of the intake system responsible for controling the amount of air flowing into an engine in reponse
    to driver input, subsequently sending an induction mixture through intake runners.

4) The terms "driveshaft loop" or "driveshaft shroud" shall mean a covering, other than the
    floorboard, that completely encircles the driveshaft of the vehicle and that allows the motorist to
    agressively operate the vehicle for extended periods of time, without being harmed by a broken
    driveshaft.

5) The term "Transmission Brake" shall mean any device which keeps an automatic transmission
    mainshaft from turning, while the transmission is in gear.

Section 3: Prohibitions.
  a) No person shall manufacture, possess, purchase, sell or otherwise transfer any Hot Rod, or any
      Hot Rod conversion kit, except as authorized by subsection (c) of this section. Any Hot Rod or
      Hot Rod conversion kit manufacture, possession, purchase, sale or other transfer is prohibited
      under this Section as a public nuisance.

b) No person shall possess or have under his or her control at one time both of the following:
        1) a carbuerated or throttle body injected vehicle capable of accepting an internal combustion
             engine; and
        2) Any internal combustion engine that contains more than 6 cylinders.

c) Subsection (a) of this section shall not apply to any of the following:
        1) The posession of a Hot Rod whose fuel tank is empty for the purpose of permanently
             reliquishing it to a law enforcement agency, pursuant to regulations adopted for such
             purpose by the legislature. Any Hot Rod relinquished pursuant to this subsection shall be
             destroyed;

2) The transfer of any Hot Rod by a licensed manifacturer or dealer to a law enforcement
             agency for use by that agency or its imployes for law enforcement purposes;

3) The posssession of a Hot Rod that was legally possessed on the effective date of this act, if
             and only if the person legally possessing the Hot Rod has complied with all of the
             requirements of subsection (e) of this section;

4) The posession of a Hot Rod that has been permanently disabled so that it is incapable of
             being started.

d) Subsection (b) of this section shall not apply to any person:
        1) While lawfully engaged in driving at a duly licensed, lawfully operated race track;
        2) While lawfully participating in a racing event oficially sanctioned by a club or organization
             established in whole or in part for the purpose of sponsoring racing events.

e) In order to continue to possess a Hot Rod that was legally possessed on the effective date of
      this Act, the person possessing the Hot Rod shall do all of the following:
        1) Within 90 days following the effective date of this Act, submit to a background check
             identical to the background check conducted in connection with the purchase of a firearm
             from a licensed gun dealer.

2) Unless the person is prohibited by law from possessing a vehicle, immediately register the
             Hot Rod as an unsafe vehicle with the Department of Motor Vehicles, pursuant to the
             regulation adopted for such purpose by the DMV.

3) Safely and securely store the Hot Rod pursuant to regulations adopted for such purpose by
            the DMV. The DMV may, no more than once per year, conduct an inspection to ensure
            compliance with this subsection.

4) Annualy renew both the registration and the background check.

5) Posess the Hot Rod only on property owned or immediately controlled by the person, or
             while engaged in the legal operation of the Hot Rod at a duly licensed race track, or while
             traveling to or from either of these locations for the purpose of engaging in the legal use of
             the Hot Rod.

f) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Act, any person who, after the effective date of this
     Act, acquires title to a Hot Rod by inheritance, bequest, or succession, shall within 30 days of
     aquiring title, do one of the following:
        1) Comply with all of the requirement of subsection (e);
        2) Dispose of the Hot Rod pursuant to subsection (c)(1); or
        3) Permanently disable the Hot Rod wo that is is incapable of being started.

g) The DMV may charge a fee for each registration and for rach registration renewal pursuant to
      section (e). However, such fee may not exceed the costs incurred by the DMV in administering
      the registration program established under subsection (e).

Section 4: Penalties
  a) Any person convicted of violating subsection (a) or subsection (b) of section (3) of this Act
       shall be guilty of a felony.

b) Any person convicted of violating subsection (e) of section (3) of this Act shall be guilty of a
      felony. Any such violation shall also result in the immediate revocation of the registration of
      every Hot Rod registered to such person.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#1]
how did you paste that in there like that?

nm, "code" "/code"
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#2]
no wonder you have over 7000 post in a year
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:23:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Like what?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:24:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
no wonder you have over 7000 post in a year

What? That took a long damn time to type!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#5]
lets do it.
for the children.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Any carbuerated or throttle body injected vehicle capable of producing at least 150 horsepower       and that also posseses any of the following:          i)   If the vehicle is a car, a spoiler located rear of the quarter panel;

a)

You just made nearly every BMW, AUDI, Porsche, etc. illegal.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:30:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like what?

Use the "code" tag.  It will allow large spaces and vertical alignment.  Basically, type your text in "notepad" and paste it inside the "code" tags.   It will look the same as it did in notepad, with all the letters aligning to a grid.  This helps make lists, and tables show up straight and not all squiggly because of different character widths.

For an example, quote his post to see the use of the tags, but don't actually post it.  Just see what it looks like in the reply window.

I just figured it out last week!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:32:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#10]

b) According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Hot Rods are a
       factor in 135 fatal crashes each year.

What about SUVs? How many fatal crashes are THEY a factor of each year? Certainly more that 135, I would think. Why not ban them, too? After all, they're Assault Vehicles. They were DESIGNED for road-raging, and the TV advertising reflects this. They have targeted our youth in their advertising campaigns.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Dude......  Are you for real ?  

If so, that's the stupidest thing I've ever read.

Maybe I'm missing the joke here somehow.......

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Any carbuerated or throttle body injected vehicle capable of producing at least 150 horsepower       and that also posseses any of the following:          i)   If the vehicle is a car, a spoiler located rear of the quarter panel;

a)

There's absolutely no legitimate need for anyone other than law enforcement to operate those kinds of vehicles on public roads. When our founding fathers envisioned unrestricted travel, they weren't talking about Hot Rods. You can get from point A to point B just fine in a Geo Metro.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I love my assault rifles and assault vehicles
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:37:32 PM EDT
[#14]
ban them.... for the children
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't see anything about spinners
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice parody work

I wrote up something similar several years back regarding "dangerous computers" for the benefit of an acquaintance of mine who couldn't grasp the issue with "gun control".  Prohibitions against "high capacity memory", "drop in overclocking adapters", etc.  Wish I could find a copy of it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:40:14 PM EDT
[#17]
SEMA will prevent this from happening.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:41:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I guess my 454 Chevy pickup with CFI would be classified as a Hot Rod, even without the tonneau cover

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:41:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

it would seem so.

and a massive, raging +1 to the author of this thread.  there's no need for these deadly vehicles to be in the hands of civilians.  i demand a ban IMMEDIATELY!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:42:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Oh, that was sarcasm.  No, we don't get that here.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:43:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I don't see anything about spinners

That's right, spinners.

This could be added at the last minute, like right before Thanksgiving recess or something. Sound familiar?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:43:17 PM EDT
[#22]
wow!!

i think i need to stay out of GD, thats easily the dumbest shit i've read all day.

only 135 a year???

i bet more couch commando's die takin a crap in a year than that.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:43:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

a)

I've seen minivans with small spoilers over the rear hatch...and hell almost every car has over 150hp..
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
SEMA will prevent this from happening.  

The Hot Rod lobby is without a doubt, VERY powerful. There's no doubt about that, my friend.

If we stand together, we can defeat the SEMA extremists and support common sense traffic laws. Our cause is a noble one.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:44:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

a)

There's absolutely no legitimate need for anyone other than law enforcement to operate those kinds of vehicles on public roads. When our founding fathers envisioned unrestricted travel, they weren't talking about Hot Rods. You can get from point A to point B just fine in a Geo Metro.

Hell, lets ban cars and require everybody to use mass transportation then. And hell, lets ban garlic mashed potatoes, as regular is "just fine."
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:46:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
wow!!

i think i need to stay out of GD, thats easily the dumbest shit i've read all day.

only 135 a year???

i bet more couch commando's die takin a crap in a year than that.

Sarcasm
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:48:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Seems like good legislation.  I just can't see why people need cars that go fast like that.  I just saw a show on it the other day on 60 minutes.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#28]
How about motorcycles with greater than 15.26 cubic inches of displacement?  My little quarter liter bike will do over 100 MPH!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#29]
I really, really hope this is a joke.  
If not, it is the biggest bunch of commie bullshit I've ever read.  I couldn't imagine a world without V8's, and in this guy's case, V6's, inline fours, inline fives...

If it were up to this asshole, everyone would be Fred Flintstone-ing everywhere.

I bet your kids get their asses kicked at school.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#30]
 if not, what about direct/port injected vehicles are they exempt???
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:51:55 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Hell, lets ban cars and require everybody to use mass transportation then. And hell, lets ban garlic mashed potatoes, as regular is "just fine."

Now wait just a minute. I support the right of every American to own vehicles and I support the right to free travel. I just don't think that means ANYBODY can just walk into a dealership and buy a Hot Rod. Don't misrepresent my position. I'm all for civilian ownership of vehicles, but I think some common sense regulation is needed to curb the street racing epidemic that plagues our society.

Anyone who has ever lost a loved one in a fatal street racing crash knows EXACTLY what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:52:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Now we can have Preban cars!

Fucking retarded if that is real. I guess my Xterra is a hotrod with that massive ground pounding, earth shaking, 170HP V6.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:54:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now wait just a minute. I support the right of every American to own vehicles and I support the right to free travel. I just don't think that means ANYBODY can just walk into a dealership and buy a Hot Rod. Don't misrepresent my position. I'm all for civilian ownership of vehicles, but I think some common sense regulation is needed to curb the street racing epidemic that plagues our society.

Anyone who has ever lost a loved one in a fatal street racing crash knows EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

SO you think slow cars help? see:

This

"The passenger car with the highest death rate? The tiny GEO Metro, not surprisingly, but the Pontiac Sunfire runs a close second."
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:56:06 PM EDT
[#35]
wider tires = safer car
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:57:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Great  little joke you have there and notice the number of people who didn't get the joke.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:58:14 PM EDT
[#37]
It's a parody, people...calm down.

par·o·dy [ párradee ]

noun  (plural par·o·dies)

Definitions:

1. amusing imitation: a piece of writing or music that deliberately copies another work in a comic or satirical way

2. parodies in general: parodies as a literary or musical style or genre

3. poor imitation: an attempt or imitation that is so poor that it seems ridiculous

transitive verb  (past and past participle par·o·died, present participle par·o·dy·ing, 3rd person present singular par·o·dies)

Definitions:

imitate somebody or something comically: to write or perform a parody of somebody or something

[Late 16th century. Via late Latin < Greek parōidia < para "secondary, indirect" + ōidē "song"]

pa·rod·ic [ pa róddik ]adj
pa·rod·i·cal [ pa róddik'l ]adj
pa·rod·i·cal·lyadv
par·o·dist [ párradist ]n
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:58:57 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SO you think slow cars help? see:

This

"The passenger car with the highest death rate? The tiny GEO Metro, not surprisingly, but the Pontiac Sunfire runs a close second."

buddy of my got hit by a 18 wheeler, he was pretty close to the rear  of the front end. soe he decided to speed up, but not enough power to get him pass the 18 wheeler.. the 18wheeler hit him, he ended up in the ditch.. that my friend is why you need high power vehicles.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:00:03 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

a)

Yes because the car lobby has been selling these death machines for decades and don’t care about the crime and carnage they cause. Nobody needs a racecar to go to the store or to hunt deer. The only reason to own one is so you can run from the police after robbing a bank.

Sports cars allow gang members to make quick getaways after drive by shootings. Their superior handling means they can weave in and out of traffic at a high rate of speed. Their streamlined shapes are designed to literally slice through pedestrians that get in their way.

Why would anyone want to own one anyway. What if your kid, or a neighbor’s kid decided to take it for a drive at 190mph and crashed into an orphanage or animal shelter?

We must ban these murder machines now, for the children.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:00:57 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

And here folks, we see an example of the Hot Rod lobby ALREADY trying to find loop holes while ignoring the spirit of the law.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:04:29 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And here folks, we see an example of the Hot Rod lobby ALREADY trying to find loop holes while ignoring the spirit of the law.

OMG you’re right… What about the car show loophole. We definitely need a 7 day waiting period on car purchases.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:11:09 PM EDT
[#42]
I'M THE ONLY ONE HERE PROFESSIONAL ENOUGH TO HANDLE A HOT ROD!!

Military and Law enforcement are the only people who need those evil hot rods! Civilians just don't need them! Ban them! Do it for the Chillen!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:12:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, that was sarcasm.  No, we don't get that here.  

Well, I figured, but around HERE, you just never know    Duh on me, I guess.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:22:23 PM EDT
[#44]
LOL... CRC did you see Pete Wilson's veto message when he veto'd an amendment to the California AWB some years back?  Your post reminds me of his droll humor.

He said:  "If this bill's focus were high speed sports cars, it would first declare them "chariots of death" and then criminalize possession of Ramblers equipped with racing stripes and wire wheels."
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Why not ban the stupid Hondas, Toyotas, Acuras, et al with the lime green paintjobs, the neon, the black hoods and the stupid spoilers, instead of the V-8's and such?  Anyone can get from A to B in a regular Civic.

Subnet, if you have lost anyone in a tragic street racing accident, my sincerest and deepest condolances.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:27:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Moron,
      you just classifed my Silverado as a Hotrod!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:30:14 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Why not ban the stupid Hondas, Toyotas, Acuras, et al with the lime green paintjobs, the neon, the black hoods and the stupid spoilers, instead of the V-8's and such?  Anyone can get from A to B in a regular Civic.

Subnet, if you have lost anyone in a tragic street racing accident, my sincerest and deepest condolances.

Shhhhh.

This is just the first step. Soon we will ban more and more cars until all vehicles are under government control where they belong.

Then, everyone can rely on public transportation to get around. And if the Government don’t got no bus goin there then you probably ain’t got no business goin there neither.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:34:57 PM EDT
[#48]
We also need to ban further importation of "high Powered" vehicles with one or more features that serve no purpose to civilians than helping make the vehicle faster. Civilians obviously dont have the training that LEO's do
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:36:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Subnetmask, this IS NOT EVEN THE SLIGHTEST BIT FUNNY.

WTF are you trying to prove ?

Make your point already...

It's obvious you are trying to show similarity to "common sense" gun legislation. I just hope to God your aren't actually serious.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:39:35 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Subnetmask, this IS NOT EVEN THE SLIGHTEST BIT FUNNY.

WTF are you trying to prove ?

Make your point already...

It's obvious you are trying to show similarity to "common sense" gun legislation. I just hope to God your aren't actually serious.

I hope to register a cool sounding domain name, and put together a comprehensive site educating the public on the issue.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top