Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/17/2006 1:34:30 PM EDT
Man I don't know how to take this.. The North American Regional director just offered me a Project manager position in Paris France, Its a 2 year position. It would be cool to go back to Europe again.. I lived in Germany for 3 years while in the Army.. But that would mean no firearms for 2 years.. but there are a couple of top notch engraving schools there that would be hella cool to attend. And it would be a major step toward upper management..

Wow I just don't know...

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:36:04 PM EDT
[#1]
go.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Bad thing is, 2 years from now this country might not be worth coming back to...
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:37:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Could you bring your mp661k?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:37:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
go.

+1
If'ns ya don't, you'll regret it!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:38:01 PM EDT
[#5]
FUCK the French! (but go anyway and steal their knowledge!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Bad thing is, 2 years from now this country might not be worth coming back to...

I know and I would be taking a 10 yr old and a 5 yr old. The schooling has got to be better than here..
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:39:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Plus, they DO have guns and private ownership of firearms over there, dude.  Link up with a few of our French members, and also you can go all over Europe and Scandanavia too.

Hell, you MIGHT even get laid over there!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:39:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Women in Paris...

You have nothing to lose by going, IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I am positively stunned at how bad the schools are here...
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:41:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Make sure you take a white piece of cloth,you will need it to fit in there.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Plus, they DO have guns and private ownership of firearms over there, dude.  Link up with a few of our French members, and also you can go all over Europe and Scandanavia too.

LOL Im married..

This is the only down side.. Is I also co own a gunshop, so That would have to close up.. Im not at all ready for that..

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:54:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

In 2 years France's flag will have changed to:

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:56:32 PM EDT
[#13]
It would take at least $300,000/year to get me to live in france.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:58:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Do it. As of the tone of your statements in my thread, you already have the arrogance down.

Just think, in 2 years, you could be running for your life from muslims in France or you could get some really good lessons on how to be an asshole. The french have perfected that to an art.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Do it man!

Except everyone will be speaking a foreign language.  Oh wait, you're in Medford!  Most the people there already speak a foreign language, so that shouldn't be a big deal.

Oh yea, and I hear they burn cars for fun and sport.  I want a picture of a flaming Renault for my collection!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:01:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.flagfocus.info/worldflags-large/flag-Islamic-Conf.GIF

not unless Muslims are pumping out millions of kids a year there, which they aren't. France will only have to really fear Muslims taking over the government in the late 40's,early 50's of this century.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Do it. As of the tone of your statements in my thread, you already have the arrogance down.

Fat_McNasty isn't arrogant, he's just a smartass!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:02:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL Im married..

This is the only down side.. Is I also co own a gunshop, so That would have to close up.. Im not at all ready for that..

Hmmm.  Gun liquidation sale coming soon?  Seriously, just picture yourself 2 years from now not taking the position.  Now, picture yourself 2 years from now after taking the position.  Which image is more pleasing?  Also, if upper management is where you want to be and this is your ticket, you'd be a fool not to take it.  Do what you think is best for you first.  Then your wife and kids.  If you aren't happy, then your family will suffer for it.  $$$ isn't everything. Yes, money does help alot, but happiness goes a whole lot further.  If you are happy doing what you do, then stay.  If you think this offer will make you more happy, then go for it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I would only do it if I was w/o kids.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:05:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I would think that it would be a great chance for kids to explore a different culture and pick up on a language from its home country.

Just stay away from the Ghetto suburbs of Paris and you will be ok.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:06:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Fat_McNasty: My friend exported a Colt 1911A1 via Kings Gun Works Glendale, CA(10 miles n. L.A.) to France.  So it possible to own handguns there.  Also from what understand shotguns are a bit easier.  Time to bone up on some trap & skeet.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:06:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Paris is a shithole, it's the Miami of France. JMHO.

The countryside is nice but after you've seen the Eiffel tower you've seen Paris. Oh, and watch you step, there's dog shit everywhere.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would think that it would be a great chance for kids to explore a different culture and pick up on a language from its home country.

You mean Turkish?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:16:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean Turkish?

That's just stupid.
They don't speak turkish in North Africa  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Do it! Expand your horizons and quite frankly, you'll regret it if you don't.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd do it in a heart beat.  France is incredibly beautiful, and outside of Paris, I found the people to be rather nice.  Good wine and food too.  Just avoid the horse meat.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:28:29 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

But France will always be worth leaving.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

He did say that this could lead to upper management.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
go.

+2, sounds like an awesome opportunity!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I've been to a few countries, and I wouldn't live outside the US again for any amount of money, unless it was my own private island or something.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Mcnasty,   if you go, remember to RENT all of your cars.  They seem to have a high mortality rate over there.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:01:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Are they paying in dollars or Euros?  And how much?  If it makes financial sense then I'd do it.  I know some people who have done expat work for a few years and the pay (and savings) were great.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:03:01 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know and I would be taking a 10 yr old and a 5 yr old. The schooling has got to be better than here..

French schools, on average, are worse than US schools.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Unfortunately I dont think you are all that far from the truth.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

+1.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

+2!

You'll find that the French are like people anywhere else, and you'll learn a lot, as will, above all, your kids. It is an especially wonderful opportunity for them, that they'll likely never get again. they will learn the language quickly enough. I went to school and university in Germany, and I'd never trade those experiences for anything.

And yes, there are a LOT of guns in France. Many more there than in Britain or Germany....
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:33:13 PM EDT
[#37]
I would not go to France if they gave me the country.  Do what feels right for you.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Me too.

Don't forget the company car also.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Oh, sorry.  Since you used the words "position" and "France", I thought the answer might be:

BENT OVER AND READY TO TAKE IT UP THE POOPER!

OR

BELLY-UP LIKE A WHIPPED PUPPY!

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Go!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:42:22 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

French schools, on average, are worse than US schools.

And neither side provided links.

I agree firsthand foreign exposure for the kids would be awesome, the only downside is where it is.

Tough call. Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#42]
France is on the verge of surrendering to itself... do you wanna be anywhere near that new Muslim state when that happens?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Just keep rubbing in the ToureDefrance thing the hole time you're there. All day, Lance Armstrong, Lance Armstrong, Lance Armstrong, Lance Armstrong, all day and see how long it takes to get thrown out of the country
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
France is on the verge of surrendering to itself...

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:17:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Do it.  It will round out your kids a little, and hopefully one of you will figure out how to make them pastries they gots over there.  God I miss the pastries.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean learn how to surrender and say "I surrender" in french?

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.flagfocus.info/worldflags-large/flag-Islamic-Conf.GIF

not unless Muslims are pumping out millions of kids a year there, which they aren't. France will only have to really fear Muslims taking over the government in the late 40's,early 50's of this century.

They don't need millions of kids, there are enough there now to accept the surrender of the french-anglo government.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:36:37 AM EDT
[#47]
If you go, be sure to take one of your guns; you could take over the whole country.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:22:41 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
And it would be a major step toward upper management..

Is this a French company? Are you working at or near the home office today? Don't count on it doing anything for your career, unless the people you will be working for in France are in a position to promote you. Remember, while you are gone for two years, the guys back home will be putting themselves into position for the good jobs. You'll be out of the picture. Rarely, do these moves work out for the better.

By the time you return, the guys you know and who know you could be gone. Then you're alone and have to rebuild your network.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:30:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Ugh.  Paris.  

I hated Paris.  I liked a lot of France but I hated Paris.

That said, you would be stupid to pass up the opportunity to live abroad for a couple of years.  IMO
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:56:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top