Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2006 11:43:00 AM EDT
working on a old truck, got the thing running pretty damn good for being 30 years old and a junkload of miles.

Only problem is I see the timing is waaaaayyyy far advanced but the damn distributor just wont budge.

I backed the bolt off all the way so there is no pressure holding it  any tips am i forgetting something dumb?

thanks-
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:45:14 AM EDT
[#1]
coked oil would be my guess.  Try a pair of channel locks on the shaft (outside, not where the rotor goes)
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:56:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Strap wrench and some wd40.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#3]
slap wrench like a oil filter wrench?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:00:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Working on an old ford huh ?  Man , it's almost like it's welded to the block when they get corroded in that little cubbyhole up front .

I went and bought a rebuilt one and  then used a pipewrench to get the old one out.

Luck to you.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:07:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Get it running long enough to heat up the block.  That might loosen it up.  Put a little Marvel Mystery Oil around it too.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:12:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Strap wrench and some wd40 Pb buster.

fixed..

apply, wait 12 or so hours..
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Is it a Ford with the distributor  in the front of the engine  ?

If so ,  your usually SOL on freeing them up without
destroying the dist .  A good penetrating oil ( PB , Kroil )
and some heat will help , but even at best your chances are
about 20%

Good news is that if it is this setup . The replacement dist's are
cheap and easy to find .
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:32:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Tannerite, definately tannerite...

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:51:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you checking the timing with the vacuum line disconnected?? If not and it's hooked to manifold vacuum it will be way advanced.

rj
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:53:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Part 2. If it is not knocking and pinging don't worry about it. The slip ring on the harmonic balancer may have moved out of position and the timing mark is no longer in the right spot. Fords are really bad about this.

rj
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:58:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Working on an old ford huh ?

Luck to you.

yeah we finally got it running
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top