Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/17/2006 6:00:30 AM EDT
I am not a smoker, but this is just stupid.

-----------------------------------------------------

www.keyt
Calabasas Smoking Ban
The nation's most restrictive smoking ban goes into effect Friday. The city of Calabasas has essentially banned smoking in public places.

Smokers will not be allowed to light up where people congregate: outside office buildings, on sidewalks and restaurant patios. California recently classified second-hand smoke as a "toxic air contaminant," like auto emissions or industrial pollution.

There will be designated areas for smokers. Violators of the new law face a $500 fine
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:03:15 AM EDT
[#1]
One thing for sure, if people stop smoking this will cut into Calif tax renvenue because we have $1.00 tax on cigarettes and 100%(?) on chewing tobacco courtesy of Rob Reiner's anti-smoking proposition a few years back.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:05:09 AM EDT
[#2]
In before the people who want to pee on my food.....
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:05:54 AM EDT
[#3]
whats next....apple pie?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:11:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I think ill have a smoke now.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:12:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
whats next....apple pie?

Just wait until the health gestapo get around to fatties. Then apple pie will be shown to cause cancer and heart attacks. You'll have to pay a tax on sugar, and won't be allowed to consume it in non-fattie sections. Eventually, they'll decide that the presence of fat people causes depression, and you won't be allowed to be fat in public areas.......

We're the Government, and we know what's best for you. Try our kool-aid......
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:14:34 AM EDT
[#6]
It wont stop until voters start.

Smokers make up a huge majority of voters.

Just like us gun owners.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:15:15 AM EDT
[#7]
They should stick to jumping frogs.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:18:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Source?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:21:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Source?

You are kidding, right?

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:22:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Source?

Sarcasm.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:22:30 AM EDT
[#11]
As a confirmed non smoker forever who finds the practice quite distasteful, I think bans on smoking are idiotic.

Just don't blow smoke in my face.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:35:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Works for me.  I won't dignify the hand-wringing analogies to gun banning and obesity with a response.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:37:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Smoker Nazis
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:38:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
whats next....apple pie?

Just wait until the health gestapo get around to fatties. Then apple pie will be shown to cause cancer and heart attacks. You'll have to pay a tax on sugar, and won't be allowed to consume it in non-fattie sections. Eventually, they'll decide that the presence of fat people causes depression, and you won't be allowed to be fat in public areas.......

We already pay tax on sugar. That's why all the candy manufacturers are moving to Canada.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:41:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
whats next....apple pie?

We already pay tax on sugar. That's why all the candy manufacturers are moving to Canada.

Worse than that, pay attention to the healthcare industry. I see some slippery slopes with regards to "higher risk" folks.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:09:33 AM EDT
[#16]
I quit almost 4 years ago and would never go back , PERIOD!
I use to think laws regarding smoking were an infringement on my rights to do with my body as I wished.
I now believe that smoking puts a huge burden on everyone with the added costs of health insurance.
I wonder how much health coverage would be if no one smoked?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:13:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I use to think laws regarding smoking were an infringement on my rights to do with my body as I wished.
I now believe that smoking puts a huge burden on everyone with the added costs of health insurance.

About the same.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:14:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

There was a study done in Poland IIRC that showed that smoking actually saved society money in reduced retirement benefits. I have no idea if this study is applicable to the United States or how legit it was. Just thought I'd bring it up.

eta: The study was funded by philip morris However, the only sources I could find that were disputing it were anti-tobacco organizations. It would be interesting to the see results of a non-biased study.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There was a study done in Poland IIRC that showed that smoking actually saved society money in reduced retirement benefits. I have no idea if this study is applicable to the United States or how legit it was. Just thought I'd bring it up.

eta: The study was funded by philip morris However, the only sources I could find that were disputing it were anti-tobacco organizations. It would be interesting to the see results of a non-biased study.

Probably from them dying sooner, in general.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#20]
But on the bright side, chewing tobacco sales are up!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:22:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Agreed.
How much for chemo treatments, vs a nice, healthy stay in a nursing home at $25,000/month for 10-15 years?  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Ohio just took a poll and 54% of voters support a statewide ban.  
Primarily college-age and senior citizens support it.

I would like to believe the enough people would not support such a repressive law,
but I can't see any light at the end of the tunnel.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:26:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ohio just took a poll and 54% of voters support a statewide ban.  
Primarily college-age and senior citizens support it.

I would like to believe the enough people would not support such a repressive law,
but I can't see any light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm actually suprised that such a thing is being considered on a state level, given how much we tend to keep things local. I'm shocked, actually.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:27:59 AM EDT
[#24]
WOW, Just like Nazi Germany!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:37:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Just some facts on CA and smoking

Ranks #2 in lowest Adult smoking rate <15%.  Vermont is the lowest at 10%make that Utah

Ranks in the middle on taxes PER PACK.

Gets about $1 billion in revenue from taxes, the most of any state but not the most per capita.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:43:14 AM EDT
[#26]
It looks like smoking will be banned here in CO as well. I fucking hate smoking, but I support people's  right to smoke if they want to, and for private businesses to make ecnomic decisions as to whether they want to allow smoking. If I don't want to be in a bunch a smoke, I don't go to smokey bars. My choice.

Fucking nanny state assholes.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:45:45 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Just like us gun owners.

Average is around 20% of the adult population.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:52:04 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lung cancer usually kills quite quickly.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:53:02 AM EDT
[#29]
As long as I don't breath it in you can smoke out your ass in public.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hence my post.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:52:57 AM EDT
[#31]
You mean people still smoke?? How dumb!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Calabasas is an incorporated city in Los Angeles County.

Calaveras County is where the jumping frogs reference is from.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Been there and watched it happen.  It ain't quick, and it ain't pretty.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:06:15 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
As a confirmed non smoker forever who finds the practice quite distasteful, I think bans on smoking are idiotic.

Just don't blow smoke in my face.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are correct, except that it was done in the Czech Republic.  It was also demonstrated that there were savings in some very expensive medical areas because the three years, on average, that were taken off of lives were also the most expensive medically for non smokers.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:02:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Hmm thats Calaveras County, not the City of Calabasas.  Hey the voters got the City Council they deserved.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:06:09 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Calabasas is an incorporated city in Los Angeles County.

Calaveras County is where the jumping frogs reference is from.

FINALLY someone notices!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#38]
what's the big deal?   people want to ban smoking, let them.   if they want sound ordinances that prohibit loud musicbefore 8 am / after 10 pm, let them.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:36:41 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

www.keyt
Calabasas Smoking Ban
The nation's most restrictive smoking ban goes into effect Friday. The city of Calabasas has essentially banned smoking in public places.

Hooray for those of us who like to breathe fresh air while walking inside or outside a building!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Source?

You are kidding, right?

Not at all.  75% of Amercians are of voting age.  Only about 23% of Americans smoke.  So even if all smokers were of voting age, that makes 23% smokers and 57% nonsmokers.

Your statement seems implausible, at best.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:46:22 PM EDT
[#41]
When is Sara Brady going to die?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.keyt
Calabasas Smoking Ban

Hooray for those of us who like to breathe fresh air while walking inside or outside a building!!!!!!

^  This is the typical reply from smoke nazis.  Try this on for size:

" News Flash!!! Outdoor rifle ranges to close Statewide"  -  "Hooray for those of us who like to enjoy peace and tranquility while outdoors!  Why should we have to put up with all that noise generated by these NRA gun nuts?"

This is a perfect example of "Tyranny of the majority".  "50%+1 support this, so it must be a good thing!"

However,

Quoted:
what's the big deal?   people want to ban smoking, let them.   if they want sound ordinances that prohibit loud musicbefore 8 am / after 10 pm, let them.

At least it hasn't been implemented at the Federal level (they'll try, once they manufature some vague relationship to interstate commerce), but at the State level.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#43]
I personally hate cigarette smoke, but maybe they should rename their city Calafacists.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:24:39 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
When is Sara Brady going to die?

About 30 years too late, it seems.    
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

^  This is the typical reply from smoke nazis.  Try this on for size:

Nothing like making up some wild bullshit claim to support your smoking case. I notice that the first thing you smokers do is insult whomever would dare to suggest they not have to breathe your toxic fumes.

As for your bullshit premise, I notice that no one has ever died from shooting sounds. In addition, I also don't seem to hear shooting sounds outside of every single GD building I try to walk in or out of, either. Not to mention one has to travel to a range in order to hear firing sounds either, eh?

You wish to smoke, knock yourself out. But why are smokers so GD lazy they can't walk 10 feet away from a buildings entrance?????????

Smoke at home, smoke in your car, smoke out in the wilderness; I could care less. But god forbid a non-smoker should be free to not smell that obnoxious smell of ciggarettes.

Oh, yes, BTW, THANKS for using the world as your own personal ashtray as well. Nothing more fun that seeing piles of butts at each curb when I stop for a redlight.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:43:43 PM EDT
[#46]
If they want to ban Semi auto rifles let them

whats the big deal right??

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have no idea how stupid that is.

Banning smoking in PUBLIC.  PUBLIC!  If they banned smoking in your own home, then you would have a point.  We don't shoot in public, we can't drink in public, why can't people just step inside to private property to smoke?  It's totally irresonsible to expose people, especially children, to toxic fumes against their will.  

I hate walking through a fucking smoke cloud whenever I go to a shopping center.

I'm completely against smoking bans on private property (such as bars and restaurants.  If you don't like the smoke, go somewhere else.  However, public places are different.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't see anywhere in the Bill of rights mentions made about your right to smoke.    Just think of it as an anti smog/ air pollution measure, which CA is famous for doing already.

don't you guys think local governments have the right to enact laws, however inane?

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:23:46 PM EDT
[#49]
This may be LEGALLY ok,  but morally it isn't.  Just wait.  I bet that in just under 1 week, you will have people with anger issues popping up everywhere.  Hell, if I had to stop cold turkey during my workday...I'd be pretty frigging angered.  

This is just wrong on so many levels.  Hell, if you live in LA and the only thing you can bitch about is smokers....you need to lighten up.  The smog problem in LA is probably much worse for your health than the smoker's smoke is.  You know how many times I have been enveloped by another smoker's smoke that I was actually annoyed by it?  I can't remember.  

On an aside

You go to a bar, and you get mad about the smokers in there, you should consider what you are doing at a bar.....drinking probably?  Assholes.

If you are for banning public smoking....you are for banning the American way of life.  Go back to Germany.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

If you are for banning public smoking....you are for banning the American way of life.  Go back to Germany.

Wow.

I'm glad we have people like you to speak for us.  

Blow toxic fumes in people's faces, it's the American way!  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top