Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2006 4:34:24 AM EDT
He is ok the perps ended up in a shoot out the the police .
I guess they were robbing a store that he was delivering milk to???
anyone else hear about this????
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:36:31 AM EDT
[#1]
No pics?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:38:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Is this were the cops chased them and they had a shootout on I-95? 2 Cops went to hospital, 1 bg dead the other was captured. They robbed a Mobil station in East Haven. Both Officers have been released from the hospital.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:40:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Two cops shot on Q-Bridge
By William Kaempffer and Mark Zaretsky, Register Staff
03/15/2006
Email to a friendPrinter-friendly

An East Haven cop is brought into the emergency room at Yale-New Haven Hospital last night. Mara Lavitt/Register  
NEW HAVEN — Two police officers were wounded and an armed robbery suspect killed in a dramatic gun battle on the Pearl Harbor Memorial Bridge Tuesday night.

A state trooper and East Haven officer both suffered wounds to the lower extremities when a suspect opened fire after being cornered.

The trooper also was shot in the torso but his bulletproof vest may have saved his life, police sources said. Both were taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital.

One suspect was dead, shot in the chest, a public safety official said. A second was in custody.

Portions of the highway southbound remained closed early today and at one point about two dozen police cars blocked off lanes on both sides of the bridge. Traffic backed up for miles.

"I've been working in town for 29 years, 20 years as a firefighter and 9½ as the mayor," said East Haven Mayor Joseph Maturo. "I believe this is the first time one of our officers was hit by a bullet that I can remember."

"We can all pray that the two police officers will recover and come back ... to protect the lives and safety of citizens," Maturo added.

The harrowing ordeal came just minutes after the two suspects allegedly held up a Mobil Gas Station on North Frontage Road at 9:23 p.m. Police said one of the men entered the store brandishing a handgun. The gunman and his accomplice fled in a champagne-colored Nissan Altima.

East Haven police spotted the vehicle on Interstate 95 south toward New Haven and they attempted to stop it as it was approaching the Q bridge, East Haven Sgt. Joseph Slane said. The Altima struck an East Haven cruiser, then crashed into another vehicle, Slane said.

A police source said the fleeing suspect barged through the traffic, sideswiping vehicles as he went.

The officers approached the vehicle and were taking the driver into custody when the second suspect, hidden in the back seat, opened fire, police said. Police returned fire, and it was unclear whether it was the getaway driver or gunman who died.

The East Haven officer, Dave Cari, was shot in the upper leg and thigh. The trooper was not identified.

"I think every single police officer performed with exemplary valor and courage," said East Haven police Chief Leonard Gallo. "They did their duties."

The trooper who was wounded was working extra duty at the site, police said. A source said the trooper had put his vest on only moments before gunfire erupted. The source said police forced the suspect vehicle to stop and were pulling the driver out of the car when the second suspect opened fire.

New Haven police Lt. Leo Bombalicki loaded the wounded trooper in a squad car and rushed him to the hospital. They arrived at Y-NH at about 9:45 p.m. The East Haven officer arrived by ambulance a few minutes later and soon dozens of officers and troopers began arriving to check on their colleagues. Police said neither of the officers' injuries appeared to be life-threatening.

A public safety official who was on the highway in the aftermath described a surreal scene. Cars were scattered everywhere, some damaged in the chase and others parked at every angle as motorists tried to get out of the way. The suspect's body lay in the center lane and evidence technicians put markers over all the spent casings from the gunfight, he said.

The official said one shaken pregnant woman recounted her ordeal to emergency workers, describing how she franticly ducked for cover when the shooting started and her boyfriend threw his body over hers.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:53:51 AM EDT
[#4]

i lived in the north-end of hartford for a few years. i am 100% happy i left that shit-stain of a state that's slowly becoming another NY suburb.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:07:53 AM EDT
[#5]
It's a shame he didn't drive an ice cream truck.  Then he would have had the weapons to fight back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top