Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2001 12:43:05 PM EDT
I just recieved a package from NRA asking for me to send postcards to my senators, asking for support of Project Exile.  On this issue, I am truly torn.

If the true NRA sponsored version became law...without any changes, the NRA promises that only violent criminals will be prosecuted with maximum sentences.  It underlines and bold faces the word [b][i]violent[/b][/i], so to not scare off gun owners.  The common fear being, of course, that innocent gun owners will become victims under this project; from liberal judges, etc, imposing max sentences on post ban lowers w/ pre ban uppers...and similar cases.

But we have to face some facts.  One being that if Project Exile has any chance of becoming law, i.e.; passing the Senate, there will be changes to the NRA sponsored bill, and to the worse, no doubt.  Feinswine and the cronies will but that opportunity to good use.  Our only hope is that W vetoes a sabatoged bill.

Is this Project Exile a good idea for dropping gun crime; and making the prohibition movement on guns less powerful?  Or is it just a new door for unwanted prosecutions and civilian abuse?  
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I hate to say it, but I am opposed.  The NRA version is a good thing, and as it was originally executed in Richmond, VA, it worked.  However it has since devolved.

I am against putting even more power into the hands of a government that has demonstrated time and again the willingness and propensity to abuse that power.  

All of the evidence I have seen to date tells me that there is a large contingent of people in the halls of government who intend to do whatever is necessary to render the Second Amendment null and void and to disarm the law-abiding  in this country.  (Yes, I know that sounds paranoid.)  I can no longer support even "common sense" (their term) restrictions because I [b]firmly[/b] believe that any laws of this type will be twisted to meet these ends.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 1:09:45 PM EDT
[#2]
The NRA should be focusing on getting ALL of the crap victimless gun laws are repealed first. Otherwise Project Exile will end up just like the "zero tolerance" mindlessness that is going on in schools today.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I've decided that I can no longer back NRA ideas like "illegal guns", "keep guns out of the wrong hands", "enforce the laws that are already on the books", or Project Exile. I didn't want any gun control laws passed; why would I want them enforced? I agree with Imbroglio that the only goal I can endorse is the total repeal of all federal gun control laws. I would much rather risk the occasional criminal attack than to have the government try to pursue the utopian goal of "no guns in the wrong hands".
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 2:06:32 PM EDT
[#4]
all gun laws are unconstinual anyway by supporting exile the NRA is basicly saying ok some unconstinual laws are ok
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#5]
'violent criminals' include those convicted of common assault, which might be nothing more than a yelling match or a shove.  Surely it is useful to draw a distinction between a habitual bank robber and a guy that habitually gesticulates when he argues.  The crimes for Exile qualification should be specifically listed and should not be minor offences, technical infractions or mere gun regulation violations.  IF those standards are met, I'd be happy to dish out Exile sentences to serious armed robbers, hitmen and the like - but why include just gun crimes?  Include all weapons.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 2:08:28 PM EDT
[#6]
There is not a gun law on the books that is OK.

Get rid of all 25,000 gun laws, allow people to defend themselves.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 2:09:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Original version: YES

New 'Exile Light': NO!!!!!

CB
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 2:17:43 PM EDT
[#8]
It violates my 2nd and 10th? Amendments.

Just say NO.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 2:37:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There is not a gun law on the books that is OK.

Get rid of all 25,000 gun laws, allow people to defend themselves.
View Quote

Exactly.  There is no such thing as a gun crime.  There may be crimes in which one was used as a tool....but the gun itself in any form is not a crime.

Zaz
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Project Exile in any form is a bad idea, because it takes routine law enforcement activities away from the states where the Constitution left them, and gives more micro-management power to the federal government.

Federal law enforcement powers should be limited to the few crimes mentioned in the Constitution, plus those serious crimes that DIRECTLY involve GENUINE interstate commerce. None of this "a migratory bird shit on your property so everything that occurs there falls within the jurisdiction of the federal government" stuff. And yes, Clinton's Justice Department lawyers really did try to use that basic argument at least once.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I agree with Imbroglio that the only goal I can endorse is the total repeal of all federal gun control laws.
View Quote

That is another problem/issue;  state laws.  I have seen several members say that the 2nd bars the just the federal gov't from passing gun laws.  [i]They[/i] say it is perfectly fine for states to pass gun laws.  I disagree with that statement, of course.  I would be screwed anyway...look at the state I live in.

I guess I can agree that Project Exile shouldn't be made law.  I cringe at the idea of giving the federal gov't ANY more power than it already has.  If they are going to inact a version of exile, at least do the NRA version, with just madatory state sentences, not federal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top