Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2006 3:00:47 AM EDT
The FBI said the leadership in these types of gangs will look for people who are young and interested in joining the organization and then encourage them to join the military.

"They will hand pick them, ask them to keep their record clear so that they can enlist in the military and then once they're in the military, they want them to try and gain access to weapons and explosives and basically try to filter that back to the street level," said Francis.

www.kfoxtv.com/news/7978035/detail.html?taf=orl
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:08:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Seems like an awful lot  of work for stuff they could make or smuggle through Mexico.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:25:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:45:22 AM EDT
[#3]
We had some gang problems in the Corps, no one looking to steal weapons and explosives in a gang conspiracy, that seems far fetched if you ask me, but there were some gangs roaming the barracks of other Companies looking for trouble.

We had a Marine in my platoon get jumped and robbed by a gang, right at the entrance to the barracks. But we took care of the problem locally.

Stealing weapons in the Corps would be damn near impossible to get away with. Our Platoon Sgt. 'lost' his .45 during a field op in the Mojave desert. When he discovered it was missing the entire platoon formed a search line and didn't stop searching for three hours until it was found. We covered every square inch of the area. It was eventually found, and there was suspicion that a particular Marine Shitbird was involved but no proof, oddly enough he was the one who found it. This search would have went on indefinitely until that weapon was found, and if needed everyone's gear would have been searched.

When it comes to weapons, the Corps was beyond compulsive with cleaning and security. Walk away from your weapon and leave it unsecured for even a minute and you would be digging a 6x6x6 hole with your E-tool, and that is no joke; been there, done that.

Explosives were always issued in our Company, we trained with the real thing. Any ammo or Odinance that was not used during an op was put in the Platoon Commanders WAR CHEST. Actually it was several large wooden crates containing everything we used. Of course he reported all of it as expended so it was off the books so to speak. We all knew where it was, it was basically unsecured during the day, only guarded at night when the area was closed. No one ever touched it, this was an unwritten rule, sure some of it could have been taken but getting caught meant a certain fate

Platoon Sgt. would issue these items to his Marines in addition to our standard load out, I suppose this is where I get my preparedness compulsion from. This was basically our Platoon 'Bug Out Bag' if you will. In the crates you would find all the stuff we needed.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:40:21 AM EDT
[#4]
This is just a serious case of overreacting just like yesterdays game in San Diego.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:00:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
snip

That was pretty much my experience in The Corps as well.
WAY too many people counting and watching for you to sneak out with any of that stuff.
Sure you might be able to hide a magazine once in a while from some dummy who isn't watching his stuff, or sneak off the range with some stripper clips, but no way you're getting a weapon out without someone knowing.

We had a Marine who came off the rifle range, went straight back to the barracks and fell asleep. Forgot to turn in his rifle. Soon as they do their count, which is right after the range closes, they found one missing.

They shut the base down. No one leaves the base until that weapon is found.
Marines just don't screw around with that kind of thing.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:03:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Instead of "recruiting" bangers into the military to steal weapons, which would prove difficult and time consuming vs other modes of illegally obtaining weapons; the more plausibile reason to send these shitbirds into the mil would be the training.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:26:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Sure they might join, but from what I've seen, the moron gang bangers don't take the training very well, if at all. It takes a pretty stupid person to join a gang anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about them "infiltrating" the military and stealing all our secret squirrel stuff or absorbing and passing on the training we get. Gang bangers are nowhere near as tough as they like everyone to think they are. Send them to downtown Najaf and the insurgents there would eat them alive. I'd go over again just to see that...
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:09:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Instead of "recruiting" bangers into the military to steal weapons, which would prove difficult and time consuming vs other modes of illegally obtaining weapons; the more plausibile reason to send these shitbirds into the mil would be the training.

Bingo.

This was the case in Germany in the late eighties/early nineties.  We actually DID have gang problems in the Army, according to many of the MPs I spoke with.  Most of which seemed to be related to the more prevalent black gangs of that era.  I was absolutely dumbfounded that this was an issue....and it was.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:20:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bingo.

This was the case in Germany in the late eighties/early nineties.  We actually DID have gang problems in the Army, according to many of the MPs I spoke with.  Most of which seemed to be related to the more prevalent black gangs of that era.  I was absolutely dumbfounded that this was an issue....and it was.

IS
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:23:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

That was pretty much my experience in The Corps as well.
WAY too many people counting and watching for you to sneak out with any of that stuff.
Sure you might be able to hide a magazine once in a while from some dummy who isn't watching his stuff, or sneak off the range with some stripper clips, but no way you're getting a weapon out without someone knowing.

We had a Marine who came off the rifle range, went straight back to the barracks and fell asleep. Forgot to turn in his rifle. Soon as they do their count, which is right after the range closes, they found one missing.

They shut the base down. No one leaves the base until that weapon is found.
Marines just don't screw around with that kind of thing.[/
quote]

No doubt.  Count and recount.  If it is on the CO's CMR it is and will always be accounted for.   Rifle (not mine) came up missing in Kuwait after we retrograded and operations ceased until it was found - in another camp I might add and 24 hours later.

If this kind of theft is happening it probably occurs at a distribution/storage point where military and civilians work together, like CIF or something.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:28:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Sure they might join, but from what I've seen, the moron gang bangers don't take the training very well, if at all. It takes a pretty stupid person to join a gang anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about them "infiltrating" the military and stealing all our secret squirrel stuff or absorbing and passing on the training we get. Gang bangers are nowhere near as tough as they like everyone to think they are. Send them to downtown Najaf and the insurgents there would eat them alive. I'd go over again just to see that...

+1
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

We had a Marine in my platoon get jumped and robbed by a gang, right at the entrance to the barracks. But we took care of the problem locally.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:03:12 AM EDT
[#14]
In '99, Ft. Hood's CID took down a gang, being run by a female Major.  They exist.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:07:25 AM EDT
[#15]
They existed as late as 2002 in Germany. We IDd a gang in our brigade after they got into a few rumbles with the locals. Had a uniform they wore off post, white T-shirt and their Army boots.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#16]
THe COrps has had weapons and explosives come up missing.

There was a Sergeant who had been at Pendleton, and was transferret to LeJeune, and he was busted by CID or NIS dealing military weapons to his gang back in Cali.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#17]
This is old news.  While in the 101st in the mid 1990's one afternoon the first sergeant pulled me into his office and remarked that I had to go to an interview at CID.  Well, after talking to the investigator, he informed me that one of my soldiers-a real dirtbag-was an active member in the gangster disciples, a gang out of chicago.  The soldier in question came up hot on piss tests, was involved in many fights, I even found a .380 under his wall locker during a health and welfare and eventually got chaptered out of the army.

My unit changed it's SOP, now for a piss test you have to take off your shirt and any unusual tatoos get a picture taken and forwarded to CID.  I can't believe anyone would join the army for weapons training, or to try and get guns, I would just go to a gunshow and pay cash.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Remember around April of 1967 @ San Onefre (sp) Area 52 at Camp Pendelton.
While going through stagging Bn.
Some privates out of bootcamp were guarding ITR's armory.
A 5ton 6x pulled up, around 3am, with a Gunny with a DI hat and 3 others & told the Pvts they were get arms for range for the am.
The 2 Pvt's helped load up the 6x, took racks & racks of M16's and M60's.
In the AM the NCO of the armory opened up to find that they were wiped out.
Needless to say there was a big investigation, never found out what happened to the Pvt's.
After that, there was always 2 people inside of every armory and comm shack.
hinking.gifhinking.gifhinking.gif
Walte
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:06:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Yup.  Many black gangs in USAREUR Germany in the late 80's.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bingo.

IS

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Even worse they are learning combat tactics to go back and teach their worthless homies, to use against other gangs and Law enforcement.

Oh well this is why i train to take out multiple assailants with my handgun and Ar-15, so the only person surprised is them.

BTW, I work at a Delinquent youth Drug and Alcohol facility full time and i can confirm Gangsta's are just fronting their toughness, they are basically pussies deep down.

And yes i do say that to their face, that is my job to call their bluff, you get in their face and raise your voice and watery eyeball city and trembly voices to go around.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#21]
stealing is bad
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:21:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Nothing new I just hope once they're found out they're drummed out

LAPD and Chicago PD have had Gang Members within their ranks
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:25:19 PM EDT
[#24]
seems like far more trouble than it would be worth
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
No doubt.  Count and recount.  If it is on the CO's CMR it is and will always be accounted for.   Rifle (not mine) came up missing in Kuwait after we retrograded and operations ceased until it was found - in another camp I might add and 24 hours later.

The exact same thing happened to my unit over there you weren't with IMEF TSG were you?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top