Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2006 2:33:26 AM EDT
Hello,

I'm traveling with my friend 6 weeks in SE Asia, starting next week. The plan is to go to Vietnam thru Laos first. See all the old war zones like Hue, My Lai, Khe Sanh, Con Thien, Lang Vei, DMZ etc. After that we'll spend a few nights in Saigon (HCMC) and after that we'll go to Cambodia. Finally we're gonna chill 2 weeks in Thailand. Are there any really cool places to visit in Vietnam? We're looking for a paradise like beaches. We might try the former SOG Camp Do Do islands located just off coast of Da Nang. Anyone been there lately? Thanks!

Cylinder
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:43:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:40:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:46:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Never get off the boat.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:52:34 AM EDT
[#4]
tag for thailand ideas
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:55:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Never get off the boat.

+1
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:20:19 AM EDT
[#6]
From what I understand you can visit the Tunnels of Cu Chi, fire some full auto goodies, maybe even an RPG.  The tunnels are really amazing.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:26:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Cylinder,
you have GOT to post pics and tell us all about the trip
when you get back.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:29:51 AM EDT
[#8]
in Thailand go to Phuket and stay at the Rembrandt hotel off Sukhumvit Rd. when in Bangkok.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:49:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I would have to go through the Ashau Valley or do a flyover.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:58:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Grab a copy of the Ravens by Christopher Robbins to get some good ideas about Laos, or go to The Ravens
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:02:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
From what I understand you can visit the Tunnels of Cu Chi, fire some full auto goodies, maybe even an RPG.  The tunnels are really amazing.

If it's 30 year old ordnance.....
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:08:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If it's 30 year old ordnance.....

What an avatar ya got there!
know her?

sorry for the hi-jack, carry on
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:09:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Cylinder,
when you get back.

+1.  IF you get back.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:35:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Cylinder,
when you get back.

Yes, please post pics. I was in Saigon three years ago but it was a business trip and I didn't have time to see any good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:40:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Terve, don't listen to the peanut gallery, Vietnam is a very safe country.  

I'd say minimize your time in Saigon, that place is mad.  The north is gorgeous, so is the countryside and Dalat (check out the waterfalls).  There are beach paradises everywhere, the way to find it is just travel down the coast and stop at the small towns.  The big beach towns like Vung Tau (sp?) and Nha Trang aren't very appealing.

Have fun!

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks guys. I'll post a photo thread when (and if) I get back. Friend of mine told me that the Khe sanh and some other areas were full of UXO (unexploded ordnance). I would not want to become a vietnam war casualty 30 years after the war ended....Gotta watch me step.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:51:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Get a little sucky sucky while you are there
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:04:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah just watch out for the godam tigers, and don't get off thr boat unless ure goin all the way. "Says ,STREET GANG "
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I've never been to Viet Nam, but I  would visit the "Tunnels of Cu Chi "A historical battle-site where the VC/NVA had dozens of miles of underground fighting tunnels.  (I read the book)

Then I'd try to vist some coochi
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Thanks guys. I'll post a photo thread when (and if) I get back. Friend of mine told me that the Khe sanh and some other areas were full of UXO (unexploded ordnance). I would not want to become a vietnam war casualty 30 years after the war ended....Gotta watch me step.

If you go to an old battlefield just stay on the well-used trails.  Khe Sahn is supposed to be safe as long as you are on the paths.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#21]
find a good tailor and get some custom suits made..
and if your 2 klicks south by south East of the plain of jars..I lost my high school ring around there, see if you can find it please..
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I hear the food in Hanoi is excellent.

I'd like to see a VC tunnel base.

Other than that, I guess ancient ruins and French colonial stuff.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Definately check out the VC tunnel exhibit (saw it on TV).

Avoid areas with unexploded cluster bombs and other munitions.

AVOID POULTRY FARMS!

DON'T EAT THE CHICKEN!

POST 666

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:03:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:56:22 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I go to Cambodia every month, but the border towns SUCK.

How is Bhattambang (sp?).  Also, have you ever been to that huge lake in Cambodia?

One other thing..in Hanoi check out the John McCain Memorial, and try to figure out where the gun emplacement that Jane Fonda operated was located.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#26]
take money if you go to shoot at cu chi. i understand it costs about $200 to shoot an ak w/a 30rd mag. damn japanese tourists have really jacked the prices up there...

i heard da nang is now a "closed" city, no foreigners, due to military/industrial development there.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:21:18 AM EDT
[#27]
I have Vietnamese co-worker whose been there numerous times in the past few years no problem all.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:34:12 AM EDT
[#28]
I was there in 2002. Hue City is nice, the Citadel there has been restored. It's much like the forbidden city in Beijing, save on a bit smaller scale.  If you visit Hue, also try to find the Heavenly Lady Pagoda. Ha Noi is also pleasant- Uncle Ho is stuffed like Lenin, and you can pay him a visit if you like.
Remember- when crossing the street, just go. The motor-scooters circle around you.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:39:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Don't drink the water.

Don't eat anything you can't identify.

If you end up on a scooter, be careful. Very careful.

Don't drink and drive.

Stay away from the drugs.

If you're gonna tap it, wrap it.

This concludes your safety brief, have a good trip.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:49:19 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Give me an IM when you're in Thailand.  I am currently living on Soi 8 off of Sukhumvit Road in Bangkok, but spend a lot of time at my G/Fs place on Nawamin Road.

I go to Cambodia every month, but the border towns SUCK.

Pattaya is definitely worth a visit.   I have friends down there, one of which is a former Legionnaire who owns a couple of hotels.

Cool!! This really is an international site! Where coming to BKK 07:45 on Wed morning (3/22) and taking a flight to Hanoi on Thu. We're coming back to BKK on 31st, though...and probably heading out to Koh Chang. In BKK we're staying on Khao San road (whatta suprise)...Can you do shooting in BKK? It would be extrmely cool to meet and perhaps hit a range, especially if there's a rifle range somewhere.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top