Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 10:15:48 PM EDT
I've already had " Tuna Rolls"  But the wife and I are going out to eat tonite with friends, and he likes the stuff, so what are some good things for a beginner to try.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:17:36 PM EDT
[#1]
If you like spicy, try a volcano roll.  Tempura rolls are good too, if you like crunchy.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:18:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I reccomend that you stick with the tuna.  Just get any "arrangement" made out of tuna.  I like the spicy tuna best.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Salmon sashimi, california roll, unagi (broiled freshwater eel) roll / nigiri, shrimp tempura roll

If you have eaten a tuna roll without issue the above suggestions shouldn't be a problem.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:21:47 PM EDT
[#4]
unagi (eel) is fantastic.  (it's cooked)

softshell crab (spider) rolls are good, but kind of intimidating
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:24:18 PM EDT
[#5]
How about gee guys I like my fish smoked,grilled,fried or such! I like smoked oysters ,but damn well won't eat one jucy (unless on an Island no fire)!

Maybe a new wife!

Bob
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I would eat all of those except for the crap, I'm not a fan of the bottom feeders
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:30:01 PM EDT
[#7]
California Rolls are really good for beginners ... Cooked Crab and Avocado in an inside out roll with some Tobiko on the outside ... Tobiko is basically the eggs from a type of fish and is used to add a little salty flavor to many types of Sushi.

Since you've already done Tuna rolls, go ahead and try salmon rolls ... You can usually get smoked or regular salmon. They might have something called "Philly Rolls" also, which is smoked salmon, with a thin sliver of cream cheese and a bit of lettuce or cucumber.

Another "Cooked" sushi that's really good (not all places do it though) is "Spider Maki" or "Spider Rolls" ... don't let the name freak you out ... it's soft shelled crab, deep fried and wrapped in a roll.

If you're feeling brave and want to try something a little different try "Unagi". It's very good. It's another cooked one and has kind of a sweet, barbecue kind of sauce marinated in it. It will taste a lot like chicken ... It's actually a type of eel.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:40:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn you mean SUSHI   is cooked fish?    I allway thought it was RAW fish!!!

If it is cooked I'm in!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:13:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Get swordfish (kajiki) sashimi and tuna (maguro) sushi. Whatever you do, try the raw fish first, don't bother with smoked/sauteed/etc.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:53:59 AM EDT
[#10]
rainbow roll.

5 types of raw fish with avocado, on cali roll
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:16:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
rainbow roll.

5 types of raw fish with avocado, on cali roll

+1  good step up from tuna roll and always tastey,
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:24:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Try some natto.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:28:39 AM EDT
[#13]
The incubated tapeworm roll is fantastic.  Also try the pinworm scratchy bottom suprise.  

I dont eat raw fish after what happened to a buddy, gave him a worm.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:30:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:45:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Try some natto.

Don't listen to him! He speaks lies!

I tried natto once. When I microwaved it to that it, my entire house smelled like a cross between foot fungus and old farts. And it tasted even worse.

If there ever is a more appropriate time for the emoticon, I haven't seen it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:32:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Damn you mean SUSHI   is cooked fish?    I allway thought it was RAW fish!!!

If it is cooked I'm in!!!

Bob

Some sushi is cooked, some isn't.  Some doesn't even have meat.  It's a BIG world of food.

I started with smoked salmon nigiri, unagi, and spider rolls, all of which are cooked.  Spider rolls are still my favorite sushi of all, closely followed by almost all nigiri but yellowtail and tuna.

I'd avoid sashimi for now.  I still don't care for it.  I want rice with my meat!

A little primer:

Nigiri is the sushi with a cut of meat on top of a riceball, sometimes tied with a piece of nori.
Sashimi is just a cut of meat by itself.
Maki is a roll, which can have the rice inside or outside the nori.
Nori is the thin, papery sheets they use to wrap stuff in.  It has almost no taste.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:50:17 AM EDT
[#17]
eh, anything is good with soysauce and wasabi smeared on it.  I have eaten tons of raw halibut, salmon and even octopus slathered with Wasabi...yum.

Fricken' seaweed makes me wanna gag though...yech.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:03:35 AM EDT
[#18]
+1 on the smoked salmon nigiri.  Most people can understand, and like, smoked salmon and rice.  It's the gateway drug sushi.  Trying it will usually lead to other, more addicting forms of shushi.

jd1
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:06:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Tuna Tataki - seared tuna in vinegar and soy sauce with sesame seeds.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:11:14 AM EDT
[#20]
All of the above, plus Spanish mackeral is one of my favorites.  It has a very mild flavor.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:12:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Link to watchable videos on the different kinds of sushi, etiquette and how to prepare.

www.eatsushi.com/demos.asp
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:13:48 AM EDT
[#22]
get a sampler platter, same as at the pizzaria.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:40:33 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
All of the above, plus Spanish mackeral is one of my favorites.  It has a very mild flavor.

I love catching those spanish!

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:03:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:10:40 AM EDT
[#25]
You can also try Tuna or Salmon tataki, which is seared, very rare fish. Raw on the inside, cooked on the outside.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:14:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Make sure your try unagi, the eel.  That's my favorite roll.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:17:17 AM EDT
[#27]
If raw fish is not appetizing, try tamago (cooked egg omelet on rice ball wrapped with a strip of nori) or kappa maki (cucumber with rice wrapped in nori).
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:27:25 AM EDT
[#28]
As has been mentioned, anything made with eel is awesome. I have yet to have any sushi I didn't like with the exception of squid or octopus, I can't remember which... but it was a far cry from calamri and vaguely reminiscent of a bicycle tire.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:35:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Stay away from the urchin (don't recall its Japanese name) unless you are an adventurous eater.

The most important thing is to have a trustworthy restaurant, i.e. one with very fresh fish, clean, and preferably owned and run by a Japanese.  Stay away from grocery store sushi, mall sushi, convenience store sushi, and any other asian besides Japanese sushi.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:42:23 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The most important thing is to have a trustworthy restaurant, i.e. one with very fresh fish, clean, and preferably owned and run by a Japanese.  Stay away from grocery store sushi, mall sushi, convenience store sushi, and any other asian besides Japanese sushi.

Big +1
The real deal is great, but some of the raw fish on top of rice imitation stuff is plain crap
It looks so easy/simple to make, but somehow a pro makes it taste so much better

BTW MagKnightX, why did you microwave natto
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:01:49 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Stay away from the urchin (don't recall its Japanese name) unless you are an adventurous eater.

There are a lot of Korean owned and operated Japanese restaurants. The food tastes the same.
Asian grocery store sushi is okay. American grocery store sushi is so-so.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:16:03 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

There are a lot of Korean owned and operated Japanese restaurants. The food tastes the same.
Asian grocery store sushi is okay. American grocery store sushi is so-so.

...And Filet Mignon is just meat, wine is just fermented grapes...

Spoken like a man with a truly discriminating palate.  Well, it's your health and your money - enjoy...
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:39:06 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

It's called uni, also known as delicious!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:04:18 AM EDT
[#34]
I didn't eat any Sushi or Sushi style food for over 10 years because of a "bad experience" with a place with quesionable quality fish.  I used to eat it all the time, and when very fresh too (I'm a charter boat captain/fishing guide, so I've had my share). It took a REALLY good looking girl to make me go back (on a date) and the first thing I tried was conch on rice, which was about the best thing I've ever tried. Very sweet and tasty.  Now I'm back with a vengeance.  As said above, the spider rolls are great.  Try some unusual things (in small amounts) to see what you like.  Also, don't eat too much "white tuna" suchi, which is really a fish called an escolar.  We caught one while out swordfishing and one of my buddies found out why you shouldn't eat too much of it, by having to hang around the bathroom for three days while the fish "swam" through him.
Also, last weekend we caught a nice small yellowfin tuna on the boat. We bled and iced him, and when cold cut him into some sashimi (we already keep the wasabi and soy on the boat just in case).  That was YUMMY!!

Good luck!!

SnF
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Big +1
The real deal is great, but some of the raw fish on top of rice imitation stuff is plain crap
It looks so easy/simple to make, but somehow a pro makes it taste so much better

BTW MagKnightX, why did you microwave natto

That's what the instructions said.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top