Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2006 9:49:24 PM EDT
Mar 16, 2006
12 Arrested In Pot Candy Distribution Ring
Marijuana Treats Packaged To Look Like Real Candy

(CBS 5) OAKLAND A Lafayette man is facing charges of distributing marijuana in packaging made to resemble brand-name candies and other products, after a series of arrests Thursday by the Drug Enforcement Administration.

The DEA says 39-year-old Kenneth Affolter, along with 11 other unidentified individuals, were arrested after agents served a number of warrants in at warehouses in Oakland and Emeryville and at Affolter's residence in Lafayette.

Agents say they seized thousands of plants from four marijuana growing operations, a large amount of currency, three firearms and hundreds of pot-laced candies and soft drinks.

The DEA says the probe began in October 2005, investigators learned Affolter was allegedly operating Beyond Bomb, a manufacturer of marijuana candy in Oakland. The marijuana-laced products were packaged to mimic well-known brands.

Among the products labels seized: Stoney Ranchers, Munchy Way, Rasta Reece’s, Buddafingers, Pot Tarts, Double Puff Oeo, Tri-Chrome Crunch, Keef Kat, Twixed, Budtella, Puff-A-Mint Pattie, Puffsi, Bong’s Root Beer, and Toka-Cola.
The investigation is a joint effort among the DEA and other federal and local law enforcement, including the police departments from Richmond, Oakland, Vallejo and Lafayette.

cbs5.com/topstories/local_story_075201033.html
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Among the products labels seized: Stoney Ranchers, Munchy Way, Rasta Reece’s, Buddafingers, Pot Tarts, Double Puff Oeo, Tri-Chrome Crunch, Keef Kat, Twixed, Budtella, Puff-A-Mint Pattie, Puffsi, Bong’s Root Beer, and Toka-Cola.
The investigation is a joint effort among the DEA and other federal and local law enforcement, including the police departments from Richmond, Oakland, Vallejo and Lafayette.

Sorry…

But after all the double entendres “joint effort” made me laugh so hard I almost puked.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:02:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:00:03 AM EDT
[#3]
God Bless Capitalism.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:06:43 AM EDT
[#4]
That guy should get a job in marketing....pays probably not as good but he's already shown some creative ingenuity.

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:08:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Man, I haven't had a pot brownie in years.  Highschool sure was fun, if a bit hazy.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:09:33 AM EDT
[#6]
If he thinks that he's in trouble now, just wait until the lawyers for all those candy companies sue him for copyright infringement.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:11:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If he thinks that he's in trouble now, just wait until the lawyers for all those candy companies sue him for copyright infringement.  

I'd imagine the back taxes he owes (even though the product they were selling was illegal) is going to be pretty bad anyway.  I find it so strange that you're required to pay income tax on illegal income.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:19:00 AM EDT
[#8]
God bless pot heads.
They are some of the most ingenious people I have ever met, yet none of them have the motovation to get off the couch.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:43:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I'd imagine the back taxes he owes (even though the product they were selling was illegal) is going to be pretty bad anyway.  I find it so strange that you're required to pay income tax on illegal income.  

That's how they nailed Al Capone - tax evasion.  The IRS taxes your income - the don't discriminate on how you get it.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:47:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Pity that they spent so much time, money and effort on such a stupid thing.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:59:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
God bless pot heads.
They are some of the most ingenious people I have ever met, yet none of them have the motovation to get off the couch.

capitalism destroyed by stupid laws.
way to go America

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:03:40 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

so becuase it isn't your thing, it's stupid.
how gun grabberesq of you.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:40:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I wanna see the "nutrition facts" label on the back...
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:18:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
God bless pot heads.

except for Mr. dubbie Wonka in oakland....
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:26:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:27:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Rasta Reese's.

I'm going to laugh about that one for a looooong time.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:51:43 AM EDT
[#17]
That is a good sized product line.  Must have been quite an operation...
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:59:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Now I'm hungry.....
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:28:37 AM EDT
[#19]
It looks like it would be hard to light them.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:00:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Its a product with a customer base, its the American way.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:32:56 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its a product with a customer base, its the American way.

The American way is to lie to the public about pot, while serving alcohol to the ones doing the arresting, who in turn drive home.
this guy has some serious potential as an entrepreneur.

He should be able to sell his product under the same rules as the alcohol companies. but naaaaa, those in power like to drink, not smoke pot.

why would they care, it doesn't affect them anyway.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:27:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Wonder if we could get the recipies?  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:36:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Oh MY GOD!!!!  

POT Tarts!!!!

buwahahahahahahaha

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#24]
That's a dangerous item that seriousley needed to be stopped!
I mean come on, your weed and in your munchies in the same item? The vicous circle ramnifications are endless - almost as bad as a hooker with a coke dispenser on her ass.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#25]
I sleep better at night knowing that these criminals are behind bars
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
That's a dangerous item that seriousley needed to be stopped!
I mean come on, your weed and in your munchies in the same item? The vicous circle ramnifications are endless - almost as bad as a hooker with a coke dispenser on her ass.

thats awesome !!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:29:17 AM EDT
[#27]
This is the most unappreciated thread of all time.....

FOR GOD'S SAKES!!!  Toka Cola!!!!  That's friggin' hilarious!!!!  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
This is the most unappreciated thread of all time.....

FOR GOD'S SAKES!!!  Toka Cola!!!!  That's friggin' hilarious!!!!  

they can't give credit to a pot head, it'd go against they steady flow of reefer madness propaganda they gobbled up for so many years.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Haha. If you watch the video on the link, the cops are wearing Multicam trousers.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:20:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
God bless pot heads.

This operation was busted late 2005, in TN. Completely blew me away. Underground cave 50 yards down, hydraulic doors, huge hydroponic grow system, living quarters. Hurts my puny THC afflicted brain just thinking about the complexity of this thing
"This is how they grow it in Tennessee . This grow was underneath a house in a cave. The entrance was through a secret hydraulic door in the garage that led to a concrete ramp that went about 50 yards into the ground. Inside the cave was living quarters and a secret escape hatch that
led you through a tunnel that exited via another hydraulic door that opened up a rock on the outside. It was very elaborate. The set up allowed them to harvest every 60 days which resulted in multi-million dollar sales. One of the guys busted was living in a house on the water in FL and had a nice yacht. One of the agents here in Nashville worked on this for 5 years before the warrant was finally served in December."

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:29:14 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
God bless pot heads.

This operation was busted late 2005, in TN. Completely blew me away. Underground cave 50 yards down, hydraulic doors, huge hydroponic grow system, living quarters. Hurts my puny THC afflicted brain just thinking about the complexity of this thing

I don't recall reading that the operators of that indoor pot farm were pot smokers themselves.  You can assume that these folks were ingenious and motivated criminals.  Presuming that they were potheads is assuming facts not in evidence.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
God bless pot heads.

I don't recall reading that the operators of that indoor pot farm were pot smokers themselves.  You can assume that these folks were ingenious and motivated criminals.  Presuming that they were potheads is assuming facts not in evidence.  

I have to ask,  have you ever met a pot grower in your life?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:39:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes I have.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:10:09 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes I have.

Can't say I ever saw one who didn't smoke back in the day.
thanks for the reply
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:24:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes I have.

thanks for the reply

You are welcome.

Years ago, I met two brothers who were pot growers.  One smoked pot, the other didn't.  The pot-smoking brother lived in a dumpy house and grew enough weed for himself and to sell to a small circle of customers.  The non-smoking brother had a huge house, fancy cars and a couple of boats.  Apparently his production and sales were more robust than his brother's.

That being said, I don't automatically assume that every pot smoker or pot grower will act exactly as those two guys did.  

You posted the photos and story about the fancy indoor pot farm in order to show that pot smokers can be ambitious and motivated.  At least that's what I got from reading your post.  

I ask again: Do you have any facts to back up the contention that those pot growers were also pot smokers?  

I'm not ready to assume that they were smokers or abstainers.  Apparently, you are ready to assume that they are pot smokers.  I prefer to see facts before I jump to conclusions.  

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:29:53 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes I have.

thanks for the reply

You are welcome.

Years ago, I met two brothers who were pot growers.  One smoked pot, the other didn't.  The pot-smoking brother lived in a dumpy house and grew enough weed for himself and to sell to a small circle of customers.  The non-smoking brother had a huge house, fancy cars and a couple of boats.  Apparently his production and sales were more robust than his brother's.

That being said, I don't automatically assume that every pot smoker or pot grower will act exactly as those two guys did.  

You posted the photos and story about the fancy indoor pot farm in order to show that pot smokers can be ambitious and motivated.  At least that's what I got from reading your post.  

I ask again: Do you have any facts to back up the contention that those pot growers were also pot smokers?  

I'm not ready to assume that they were smokers or abstainers.  Apparently, you are ready to assume that they are pot smokers.  I prefer to see facts before I jump to conclusions.  

Joe357 posted those.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Joe357 posted those.

Sorry.  I guess I need to start smoking pot so I can calm down and focus.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:35:10 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Joe357 posted those.

Sorry.  I guess I need to start smoking pot so I can calm down and focus.  

we've all done it man.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#40]
My brother old roomate worked there, they took bong breaks not coffee breaks.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes I have.

thanks for the reply

You are welcome.

Joe357 posted those.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top