User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2006 9:36:50 PM EDT
www.azstarnet.com/dailystar/dailystar/120510

Officers kill fleeing man
He pointed gun after South Side chase, cops say
By Alexis Huicochea
arizona daily star
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 03.17.2006

A man fleeing from police was killed when three officers from two agencies fired on him after a brief pursuit.
Tucson police gave the following account of the incident, which unfolded in a matter of minutes just before 1 p.m.:
The Fugitive Investigative Strike Team was doing surveillance on a home in the area of South 12th Avenue and West Irvington Road when officers began to pursue Ricky Andrew Romero, 25, who was driving in a gold Cadillac.
Romero was wanted on a federal warrant in connection with a 2002 conviction for possession with intent to distribute cocaine, said Sgt. Decio Hopffer, a Tucson Police Department spokesman.
At 12:51 p.m., FIST, which included the Pima County Sheriff's Department and the U.S. Marshals Service on this particular day, asked for assistance from Tucson police in conducting a traffic stop on the Cadillac.
One minute later, officers were attempting to box in the Cadillac at South Alaska Drive and West Nebraska Street, but Romero managed to evade the officers. As he drove away, a three-year veteran deputy of the U.S. Marshals Service fired at the car.
It was not clear if Romero was hit, but he continued to drive until he broadsided a black Ford pickup truck at 12:55 on West Drexel Road and South Liberty Avenue.
Romero tried to restart the car to drive away but could not. Meanwhile, officers closed in on him.
As Sgt. Randy Carpenter, a 15-year-veteran of the Tucson Police Department, got out of his patrol car to approach Romero, Romero brandished a handgun, Hopffer said.
Romero pointed the gun at Carpenter, at which time Carpenter, along with a 10-year-veteran deputy from the Marshals Service fired their weapons several times.
The man was shot and was pronounced dead at the scene. An autopsy will be conducted, said Sgt. Mark Robinson, a Tucson Police Department spokesman.
The driver of the truck that the man crashed into was slightly injured and was taken to a hospital for treatment, Robinson said.
The names of the two deputies from the U.S. Marshals Service were not released. All three will be placed on paid administrative leave as is standard in these situations.
Several neighbors said they could hear the cars speeding past their homes during the pursuit.
Valerie Adair, 48, said she could hear everything through soundproof windows that usually keep out airplane noises.
Then, a police officer on a loudspeaker warned people in the neighborhood to stay indoors, she said, noting that she was glad Apollo Middle and Liberty Elementary schools were in session when the shooting took place.
On StarNet: If you want to know more about crime and criminals in Tucson than what can fit in the pages of the Star, check out the StarNet Police Beat blog at azstarnet.com/crime
● Star reporter Becky Pallack contributed to this story. Contact reporter Alexis Huicochea at 629-9412 or [email protected].
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Fugitive Investigative Strike Team? So are the members called Fisters?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:43:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Fugitive Investigative Strike Team? So are the members called Fisters?

I guess when they are on an investigation, they are Fisting.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Good shots...glad to see another POS dead and gone!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#4]
If his car is disabled, then he brandishes a firearm and points it at cops, it's "suicide by cop."
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:47:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Romero was wanted on a federal warrant in connection with a 2002 conviction for possession with intent to distribute cocaine...

Romero brandished a handgun

And the problem here is?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#6]
The headline "Officers kill fleeing man" conjures up an image of a guy running away from the cops being shot in the back.  

I realize headlines have to be short, concise and attention-grabbing but I would have hoped for something that was a little closer to what actually happened.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:56:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The headline "Officers kill fleeing man" conjures up an image of a guy running away from the cops being shot in the back.  

I realize headlines have to be short, concise and attention-grabbing but I would have hoped for something that was a little closer to what actually happened.  

+1. I was thinking this was another cop bashing post, You know they shot him in the back.  Headline should read " Police shoot, fleeing armed felon".  Much closer to the truth.  

Semper Paratus
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:06:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1. I was thinking this was another cop bashing post, You know they shot him in the back.  Headline should read " Police shoot, fleeing armed felon".  Much closer to the truth.  

Semper Paratus

Yes, please be aware I didnt make up this title, its the one they made, sorry to have misled anyone. It just cuts down on not finding dupes if everyone uses the article title as the topic.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:09:25 PM EDT
[#9]
If he is running from the law, he cant be a good guy can he?  I dont think so.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:12:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Semper Paratus

Yes, please be aware I didnt make up this title, its the one they made, sorry to have misled anyone. It just cuts down on not finding dupes if everyone uses the article title as the topic.

I'm not scolding you, just the liberal rag in which the criminal biased article was printed.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:27:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You didn't mislead us.  I specifically pointed out that the HEADLINE was misleading, not your post title.  

I agree with your comment about using the actual article headlines in post titles.  It's kind of hard to find dupes when someone posts an article under "Y'all Ain't Gonna Believe This" or "This Really Ticks Me Off."

You done good.  Thanks for posting the story.  

(edit for spelling)
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:54:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If he is running from the law, he cant be a good guy can he?  I dont think so.

Did he know they were cops?  Were they in marked units (for surveilence?)  Were they in uniform?

Just tell me they were in clearly identifiable uniforms, and you won't hear a peep from me bashing cops.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top