Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2006 6:05:34 PM EDT
This incident spurred a multiple page thread about the Dallas PD in particular, and police officers in general.....now what ya got to say???????

Skater indicted on assault charge

05:32 PM CST on Thursday, March 16, 2006

By ROBERT THARP / The Dallas Morning News

A Dallas Roller Derby skater was indicted Thursday on a felony charge of assaulting a Dallas police officer stemming from a January 2006 incident in which she and several witnesses say the officer was the aggressor and used excessive force.

Reports related to the indictment charge that Michelle Metzinger, 25, was belligerent and fought with Dallas officer Ceaphus Gordon after the officer asked to see her identification because he said she had been roller skating recklessly through traffic on Elm Street in Deep Ellum.

The officer then tried to force Ms. Metzinger to the sidewalk using a “straight arm bar take down,” but instead she “rolled from the police car to the ground.” Ms Metzinger continued scratching and kicking the officer on the ground, he said in his report.

Officer Gordon described his injuries as three, 1/8th inch scratches near his right eye and scratches and bruises on his chin.

He described Ms. Metzinger’s injury as a “small laceration that required a stitch” although his report indicates that she spent five hours at Parkland Hospital before she was taken to jail.

Kevin Clancy, Ms. Metzinger’s attorney, said he was disappointed that he was not allowed to present evidence to the grand jury that would have offered a different account of what happened.

Eight witnesses to the arrest have filed sworn affidavits saying that Ms. Metzinger was not intoxicated and that she did not resist the officer.

The witnesses state that after Ms. Metzinger was forced to the ground, Officer Gordon put his knee on her back or neck while he was handcuffing her, which is not described in the officer’s reports.

“I think it’s a travesty that this poor girl was charged with this,” he said. “I really do think that the grand jury did not look at the evidence.”

A separate investigation into the incident by Dallas police internal affairs is ongoing.

Mr. Clancy said Dallas police have so far not interviewed any of the witnesses.

Officer Gordon has had 27 complaints filed against him in his 14-year career, most of which were ruled “unfounded” or “inconclusive.” Of those inconclusive complaints, at least two involved allegations of excessive force.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#1]
No doubt had she been hit & killed while buzzing thru traffic her family would've sued the po-po for not stopping her from doing so.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Haha, serves her right.  

"Poor girl" my rear end.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#3]
The cop is STILL an a--wipe.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#4]
A prosecutor could indict a ham sandwhich.

Come back and taunt when there's a conviction and no multi-million dollar settlement on behalf of officer jackboot.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
No doubt had she been hit & killed while buzzing thru traffic her family would've sued the po-po for not stopping her from doing so.  

Gimme a fucking break.

Hopefully nobody here is surprised by this report.
It's one of hundreds of incidents that occur daily amongst PD's on a daily basis.

HS1 (not an LEO apologist)
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

No kidding, fxntime.

Who's side are you on, ryann?

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#7]
ryann, you do realize that an indictment is not a verdict, right? I hope so.....

And if a 230+ lbs cop can't control a <100 lbs woman without trying to throw her through the rear end of a car, maybe he needs to find another line of work....
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No kidding, fxntime.

Who's side are you on, ryann?

The side of clear thinkers that don't succumb to hype.  Is that wrong?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:27:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

A prosecutor could indict a ham sandwhich.

Come back and taunt when there's a conviction and no multi-million dollar settlement on behalf of officer jackboot.

+1
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
ryann, you do realize that an indictment is not a verdict, right? I hope so.....

And if a 230+ lbs cop can't control a <100 lbs woman without trying to throw her through the rear end of a car, maybe he needs to find another line of work....

Uhhhh yeah I know that duh!  Would you agree that an indictment at least sheds a different light on the incident????
Would you at least acknowledge that a drunk female on roller skates could hurt you if she wanted too? I wouldn't want kicked in the shins with roller skates, would you?

If you believe in the justice system at all you have to accept that a grand jury looks at an incident before they indict.  Of course an indictment isn't a guilty verdict, but it's a part of the wheels of justice.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Do we know if the girl has any priors?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#12]
"The witnesses state that after Ms. Metzinger was forced to the ground, Officer Gordon put his knee on her back or neck while he was handcuffing her, which is not described in the officer’s reports."

It's "not described in the officers resports" because its SOP for cuffing a proned out suspect. He probably didnt specify that he put one handcuff on her left wrist and one handcuff on her right wrist either. or that she was handcuffed behind her back. or that the handcuffs were locked. or that the suspect only hand two arms.  He didnt mention any of those things in the report becuase everyone knows thats how you handcuff someone and its uneccessary irrelevant detail.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:34:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I guess its time for round 2 of this
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Officer Gordon has had 27 complaints filed against him in his 14-year career, most of which were ruled “unfounded” or “inconclusive.” Of those inconclusive complaints, at least two involved allegations of excessive force.

Non-Officer Another Dude wouldn't have his job after 27 complaints over 14 years.

Why talk to 8 people who were witnesses and signed statements when you've got the fine words of Occifer Jackboot who is trying to cover his ass for beating down a girl while she was on rollerskates?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#15]
A cop is never guilty according to their bosses on the force. When this goes to trial, she wins
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#16]
no it just means between you and a cop you get charged up the wazoo while he/she walks
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:44:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Non-Officer Another Dude wouldn't have his job after 27 complaints over 14 years.

- The mere presence of complaints doesn't mean anything. I've had people file complaints against me for false arrest when I served arrest warrants on them.

Why talk to 8 people who were witnesses and signed statements when you've got the fine words of Occifer Jackboot who is trying to cover his ass for beating down a girl while she was on rollerskates?
BWhahahahahahahahaha... typical BS I've come to expect from these threads
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Why talk to 8 people who were witnesses and signed statements when you've got the fine words of Occifer Jackboot who is trying to cover his ass for beating down a girl while she was on rollerskates? BWhahahahahahahahaha... typical BS I've come to expect from these threads

Because the 8 people aren't directly involved in the case?  They aren't the beater or the beatee in the case.  Witnesses equal "BS" for you?  This is the typical response I've come to expect from the us vs. them/cops are never EVER wrong crowd in these threads.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:51:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Hope an illegal sneezes on his donut.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#20]
The Police Officer wrote a false report that covers his ass.  What did you expect him to write?

8 witnesses say the LEO is lying.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uhhhh yeah I know that duh!  Would you agree that an indictment at least sheds a different light on the incident????
Would you at least acknowledge that a drunk female on roller skates could hurt you if she wanted too? I wouldn't want kicked in the shins with roller skates, would you?

If you believe in the justice system at all you have to accept that a grand jury looks at an incident before they indict.  Of course an indictment isn't a guilty verdict, but it's a part of the wheels of justice.

From your title, it seems that you didn't understand to distinction between an indictment and a verdict.

As far as the grand jury is concerned, they found enough evidence to warrant a charge. That is all.
YOu cound be indicted for a thousand different things, but it doesn't meant that you are guilty of anything.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:53:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Because the 8 people aren't directly involved in the case?  They aren't the beater or the beatee in the case.  Witnesses equal "BS" for you?  This is the typical response I've come to expect from the us vs. them/cops are never EVER wrong crowd in these threads.

- Nope witnesses dont equal BS. Your "when you've got the fine words of Occifer Jackboot who is trying to cover his ass for beating down a girl while she was on rollerskates?" statement is.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- The mere presence of complaints doesn't mean anything. I've had people file complaints against me for false arrest when I served arrest warrants on them.

those are actually good questions,  why wouldn't they take the statements of those 8 into account?  why have the popo not interviewed any of them ?

sounds like they don't want to know. why is that?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:13:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Running out of popcorn here.... This thread ought to be suspended until after the verdict.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

those are actually good questions,  why wouldn't they take the statements of those 8 into account?  why have the popo not interviewed any of them ?

- Maybe they havent gotten to them yet. Maybe they have reviewed the affadvits and see obvious differences in them.  Who knows?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This incident spurred a multiple page thread about the Dallas PD in particular, and police officers in general.....now what ya got to say???????

well dumbass, indicted AIN'T Convicted....come back in six months....
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

wait, you actually think the Dallas PD will investigate and talk to possible witnesses?  It's quite clear you've never lived in Dallas

But I'll admit, I am biased on this topic.  I've had 3 experiences with the dallas PD in the last 2 years, (two car break in's and one hit&run auto) all left me less than impressed...  Especially when I gave them the license plate # of the guy that hit my car and they still haven't done a thing about it.

EPOCH
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- Maybe they havent gotten to them yet. Maybe they have reviewed the affadvits and see obvious differences in them.  Who knows?

It has already been before the grand jury already. WTF?
sounds pretty fucked up like they really don't want to know. I can't help but wonder why that is..
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:32:36 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wait, you actually think the Dallas PD will investigate and talk to possible witnesses?  It's quite clear you've never lived in Dallas

But I'll admit, I am biased on this topic.  I've had 3 experiences with the dallas PD in the last 2 years, (two car break in's and one hit&run auto) all left me less than impressed...  Especially when I gave them the license plate # of the guy that hit my car and they still haven't done a thing about it.

EPOCH

Nope .
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
It's "not described in the officers resports" because its SOP for cuffing a proned out suspect.

They never leave out the part about reading the Miranda warning even though it's SOP for interrogating a suspect in custody.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The Police Officer wrote a false report that covers his ass.  What did you expect him to write?

8 witnesses of the girls friends say the LEO is lying.

The defendant is presumed innocent and will have her day in court.  

Internal Affairs is investigating the officer.  

We'll see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Kevin Clancy, Ms. Metzinger’s attorney, said he was disappointed that he was not allowed to present evidence to the grand jury that would have offered a different account of what happened.

I'm not a "cop hater" but this indictment proves nothing.  Only one side got to present evidence and the standard for indictment is very low.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Arrest often look "brutal" to sheeple, I am not surprised, nor am I suprised with the sheeple responses here.

Just judging from the injury totals, there was no excessive force.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Jesus christ this post is like a colection of Drug arestees bitchin about gettin searched. Uncooperative is uncooperative. Male or female. Cops are not paid to prize fight men or women. She was endangering herself and others. She fought the officer. She got off light. Parkland takes five hours to dispence asprin. Last but not least If a woman bites or scratches you would you even raise a hand to her? Id' hit it takes on two meanings.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:50:01 PM EDT
[#35]
This thread again.....wait, she's innocent, there is a picture of her with her hands on the police car, obviously I want her pie, oopps, I mean that proves shes innocent. I mean if I stick up for her she'll give me pie, darn it,  I meant to say obviously the cops are jbt's.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:52:31 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Arrest often look "brutal" to sheeple, I am not surprised, nor am I suprised with the sheeple responses here.

Americans being referred as "sheeple" tend to cause Americans to really fucking hate cops.  Treat the general public as your enemy and we will be.  Is it Serve and Protect or Insult and Berate that's scribbled on those cruisers we all pay for?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Did they plant any cocaine...I mean sheetrock on her??/ lmao
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#38]
DUPE!!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:04:40 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Americans being referred as "sheeple" tend to cause Americans to really fucking hate cops.  Treat the general public as your enemy and we will be.  Is it Serve and Protect or Insult and Berate that's scribbled on those cruisers we all pay for?

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:23:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Damn...and after the wonderful, polite, rational discussion we had in the "cop basher" thread, we have to go back to this shit, from both sides.
Oh well....

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:31:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Thought I'd check back in and find out if there's any new developments...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:44:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Where's markm?  Only the power of 87 can save this thread.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:50:00 PM EDT
[#44]
"Eight witnesses to the arrest have filed sworn affidavits saying that Ms. Metzinger was not intoxicated and that she did not resist the officer. "

How exactly does this excuse the officer? I mean - where is the evidence here?

We have a cop with 1/8th" scratches (from what? Can you make scratches that small with a finger nail?) and bruise on the chin. I am assuming there is photographic evidence.

And then you have 8 people saying that she didnt resist etc.

I am by no means a cop hater - but I dont think every cop has a golden halo.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:52:57 PM EDT
[#45]
In the last thread many people said "wait and see" and so far this little announcement proves nothing one way or the other. So it's back to "wait and see" I suppose. I will say that the DPD has never inspired great confidence and this is why you probably have so many people even here in Dallas who won’t take the cops side. When you work in a police department with a history of corruption and brutality it’s hard to prove you’re a good cop just doing your job.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:57:24 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm not taking a side here, but a newspaper article that states 8 witness for the girls defense were not allowed to testify on her behalf does nothing to prove the cop was right.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:57:40 PM EDT
[#47]
ryann.Even your signature.
"I've had my last fight in general disscusion-maybe not."Is combatative.
It seems from this thread and the last "cop-bashing"thread that this is just how you go through life.
Unfortunately you give these cop haters more fuel for their fire.
Is this how you are on the job?
Everyone not wearing a badge is wrong and needs to be shown who the authority is?
I hope not.
Good luck ryann.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:01:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Very disappointing thread.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top