Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 2:30:22 PM EDT
I'll be entering college this fall as an undecided major because I have not yet decided what to do for a career. I am, however, heavily considering medicine. My college has a designated pre-medical track, but I believe that you have to be accepted into that upon your application rather than transferring. If this is not the case, then obviously I'll want to enter into that, but if I can't, then what would be the suggested major? As in, what would be most helpful 1. providing the base necessary knowledge before medical school and 2. providing better chances of being accepted into medical school?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:43:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Any science degree will likely do. Pick something you might consider doing in the event you do not get into medschool or change your mind later.  It is VERY competitive and most are not accepted.

You will need a fair amont of Bio
Year chem
Year organic Chem
year physics

MCATS are the first cut because it will be the only thing you have in common. It is very improtant to do well.

You will need good grades and unless you have a 3.5 or better it will be harder to get in. Less than 3.0 and you can pretty much forget it.

References

Interviews

Things would make medschool easier when you get there:

Anatomy and physiology
Cell Bio
Microbiology
Biochem
Pharm

It really is not that the material is all the tough to understand, once you are to that point of course, it is the sheer volume of it.  About 4 times the pace of undergrad.

Your 3rd and 4th years of medschool are a degrading, shit swallowing, experience you cannot prepare yourself for.  I would go thru Marine Corps bootcamp a dozen times before I would subject myself to that again.
Residency is even more work but a little less shit swallowing.
I doubt it is really what you think it is but I tell everyone that. I worked at Mayo before going to medschool and there were plenty of docs to ask. Only one told me he would do it again. Guess which one I listened to?

Good luck bro, you're going to need it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I have three family members that are physicians and here is what they studied prior to going to med school.

My uncle got his masters in theology then went to med school.  He is now a dermatologist.

One cousin got his PhD in microbiology and worked in the food industry for few years before going to med school.  He is now a hematologist.

Second cousin did the usual BS chemistry then went to med school.  He is doing his residency in pediatric oncology.  

Third cousion studied philosophy and then went to med school.  He is in his third year.

I also have a cousin that has a masters in physics then went to dental school.

I also have a cousin that graduated from med school and then gave it up to go to theology school to become a minister.

You can study what ever field you want as long as you take necessary science, math courses.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:11:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have three family members that are physicians and here is what they studied prior to going to med school.

My uncle (1) got his masters in theology then went to med school.  He is now a dermatologist.

One cousin (2) got his PhD in microbiology and worked in the food industry for few years before going to med school.  He is now a hematologist.

Second cousin (3) did the usual BS chemistry then went to med school.  He is doing his residency in pediatric oncology.  

Third cousion (4) studied philosophy and then went to med school.  He is in his third year.

I also have a cousin (5) that has a masters in physics then went to dental school.

I also have a cousin (6) that graduated from med school and then gave it up to go to theology school to become a minister.

You can study what ever field you want as long as you take necessary science, math courses.

Good luck.

Uhhh........ Dude    

Guessing you're not a doc, eh ??

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#4]
1. most medical schools have a set core pre-required curriculum (2 englishes, 3 maths, 2 physics, etc)
2. take those classes
3. Major in whatever you want
4. Ignore the college's stupid rules

One exception to above -- most medical schools require a letter from whomever is in charge of "pre med" whatever at your college, so even if you never see them because you majored in classical piano for instance, you still have to make nice with them.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My uncle (1) got his masters in theology then went to med school.  He is now a dermatologist.

One cousin (2) got his PhD in microbiology and worked in the food industry for few years before going to med school.  He is now a hematologist.

Second cousin (3) did the usual BS chemistry then went to med school.  He is doing his residency in pediatric oncology.  

Third cousion (4) studied philosophy and then went to med school.  He is in his third year.

I also have a cousin (5) that has a masters in physics then went to dental school.

I also have a cousin (6) that graduated from med school and then gave it up to go to theology school to become a minister.

Good luck.

Uhhh........ Dude    

Guessing you're not a doc, eh ??

Note that I said "physicians".  "Physician" is usually defined as a doctor of medicine or doctor of osteopathy who is legally qualified and licensed to practice medicine.

No. 4 is still in med school.  Not a physician yet.

No. 5 is a dentist.  Dentist is not a physician.

No. 6 graduated from med school but never practiced medicine.  Graduating from med school alone does not make you a physician.

My father is a veterinarian but that doesn't make him a physician... despite that fact that he delivered my brother and sister at home.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top