Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2001 12:00:45 PM EDT
If I buy a pre-ban SKS, is it legal (and relatively easy) to put on new furniture (folding stock, etc.) and convert it to accept detachable mags?  Flash hider?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 12:15:14 PM EDT
[#1]

I don't know that much about SKS's but I didn't know that there was a "pre-ban" model.  Is the person trying to sell you this rifle telling you this?  Also I think that if there is a difference between "pre-ban" vs "post-ban" that unlike American made AR's where you can easily call the company or look up pre-ban serial numbers.  With SKS's they're made by everybody throughout the world.  You'll never convince the BATF that some Chi-Com SKS made in some little factory in east flung-dung is pre-ban.  Again, I may be wrong, but I think that the guy selling you this rifle is just blowing smoke up your a$$.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not going to comment on the "legal" issues but let me tell you from experience;

1) Working on an SKS project gun is loads of fun (really) but it will take time, money and a lot of mixing and matching (a Dremel tool should be accessory #1 you purchase.

2) Don't count on anything you buy through the mail actually fitting/working on YOUR gun. I have rebuilt three SKS rifles from "U-fix-ums" (2-Roms.& 1-chi.) I have worked with stocks, gas tubes, trigger groups, magazines, sights, muzzle brakes, bolts & carriers, pins, springs, slings and finishes. NOTHING will "drop-in" except the charges to your credit card.

Most of the "Evil Features" won't improve the basic soundness of the rifle anyway. Think about things like length of pull (stock), trigger work, using the charger clips, headspace, finishes and rattles.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#4]
prob with a "preban" sks is a sks being a imported rifle falls under alot of diffrent laws
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top