Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 12:55:53 PM EDT
at least in wash, dc and virginia! i thought it was just me that was having trouble getting in for the last week or two but i ended up calling our help desk in norfolk and, nope, it's banned...fucking navy gets it, no prob, but apparently information about m-16's is just too fucking controversial and risky for the corps...hope these asshats don't end up in iraq where they might do some real harm!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a damn shame.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#2]
tagalog
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Go ahead and make that "men's department" crack again OK.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:58:42 PM EDT
[#4]
The Marines banning a gun site?

W T F over?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:00:18 PM EDT
[#5]
If the USMC wanted you to be on ARFCOM while at work they would've issued you a login name!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:00:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Can you still hit up DUNG ?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#7]
It depends on the proxy/filter whomever controls the internet access (I'm guessing private vendors) use. Some like Websense download/use a central rules file that the software company publishes. That list is maintained by some liberal douchebag, because the list is basically a politically-drawn one.

Other proxys and firewalls are a bit more even handed with their weeding out of inappropriate urls.

There's two ways around it: Find a free anonymous web proxy outside and configure your browser to use that, or use one of the many aliases ar15.com has (jobrelatedstuff.com, etc).

Unfortunately...outside of that there's not much anyone can do to help

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It depends on the proxy/filter whomever controls the internet access (I'm guessing private vendors) use. Some like Websense download/use a central rules file that the software company publishes. That list is maintained by some liberal douchebag, because the list is basically a politically-drawn one.

Other proxys and firewalls are a bit more even handed with their weeding out of inappropriate urls.

There's two ways around it: Find a free anonymous web proxy outside and configure your browser to use that, or use one of the many aliases ar15.com has (jobrelatedstuff.com, etc).

That's my bet.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:06:34 PM EDT
[#9]
man, i can still hit up the dung heap, ak.nutz, glock.com, foshizzle.net, assweb, falfiles...but the thing is, arf.com is huge. there are a huge number of posters and that means i guess it's hi-viz and it caught someones attn.

actually, the marine corps DID issue me a log in name! just not for here! but this site is an incredible reference tool for us, i can get more m-16/warpac weps goodness here than i can out of a whole pile of "green monsters." there's just so much experience and knowledge here.

i'm gonna see if i can get this changed.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:10:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe all the free speech in GD is too much for them.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Websense has different categories of websites that a company can implement to block access to categorized groups of websites. This is what the companies want and are paying for.  A company can set up overrides to allow access to any website that is blocked if it chooses to.

There are ways around Websense but it would likely get you fired if you used them.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:18:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah well, NMCI blocked the FALFiles for the Navy too.

Pisses me off but I am more productive now.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like someone didn't know that USMC doesn't really stand for Uncle Sams Minor Children...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I havent been able to log on through the Legacy or NMCI Network for over a month.  

HKPRO still works.

-BJohnson
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Judging by some of the crap that comes through here, I think the Marine Corps made a sound decision.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:33:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Air Force does, too.
Try:    jobrelatedstuff.com
There is also another mirror site I have tried at work, but the name escapes me.

Help from the pros?

B_S
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Air Force does, too.
Try:    jobrelatedstuff.com
There is also another mirror site I have tried at work, but the name escapes me.

Help from the pros?

B_S

mcuzi.com?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Judging by some of the crap that comes through here, I think the Marine Corps made a sound decision.

hahahahahahahaha
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

If they're stupid enough to use a proxy to filter traffic but make it possible for web clients to go outside to an external proxy instead, then I want my tax dollars back.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:47:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

+1

I work in a USAF NOSC and that is how our proxy works.   We get issues with the damn updates to the policy file, seems every other update it puts under different categories and we get a shitstorm of complaints of websites being blocked that shouldn't be.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#21]
"What the fuck are you smiling at ARFCOM boy!? Do you need that forum to be in my beloved corps!?"

That's ghey.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I use a navy computer, and while they haven't blocked arfcom yet, they started blocking falfiles about two weeks ago.  They started blocking any images from photobucket a couple months or so ago.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the way they do it.  Very hit and miss.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

If they're stupid enough to use a proxy to filter traffic but make it possible for web clients to go outside to an external proxy instead, then I want my tax dollars back.

There are probably transparently proxying web traffic (all port 80 gets filtered/logged), but an external proxy could be on any port (3128 is the usual, but not hard to configure to some abitrary port number.)

They could use a tool to sniff packets to identify unauthorized proxies based on payload content, not port.  But of course you could use SSH and tunnel your proxy in encrypted ssh packets.  The network admin/snoop looking at this stream won't know if it's an interactive login, copying some files, encrypted peronsal telephone calls, or what.

However, I wouldn't want to be the one standing tall before the Man explaining why I was ssh-ing to random servers out on the Internet.  "So I can proxy my unauthorized web traffic" would not be a good answer.  "So I can watch my kids on the web cam" has a nicer ring, probably get a warning instead of immediate dismissal.

Cellphone with EDGE wireless internet, cabled (no bluetooth, the walls have ears) to a personally-owned laptop, while hiding in the john, that's the marignally safe way to browse at work without leaving a network/system trail.  Alternatively, one might consider WORKING at work, and browsing at home.

The way technology is evolving, we may end up playing solitaire with old-fashioned paper cards to while away the dull hours

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
If the USMC wanted you to be on ARFCOM while at work they would've issued you a login name!

Hey... don't drag me into this.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:27:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

There are probably transparently proxying web traffic (all port 80 gets filtered/logged), but an external proxy could be on any port (3128 is the usual, but not hard to configure to some abitrary port number.)

Any security engineer worth his salt would make that impossible, and not just to block unwanted web traffic.

What a good security model consists of, in part, is blocking ALL OUTBOUND connections and forcing legit outbound connections through a proxy.

Why?  To prevent idiots from setting up reverse SSH tunnels, etc, which compromise your network.  

You don't just selectively block outbound HTTP and force that to a proxy (btw, I don't think they're doing transparent proxying.)  That leaves way too many holes which allow for much Worse Things(tm) than someone going to a naughty web-site.

The better proxy filters are even capable of spotting someone trying to piggy-back a protocol directly through the proxy over HTTP/HTTPS, even an encrypted protocol like SSH starts out with a brief cleartext transaction.

So, I repeat: If they're stupid enough to allow this, I want my tax dollars back.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:35:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks to me to be the work of some REMFs with nothing better to do than pocket pool.

I say the internet needs to be free to roam to all military computers just like it does in the civilian world. Open up the information superhighway to ARFCOM!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Ohhhhh PLEASE find us an email address we can all voice our distaste to !

This is one of THE most Pro-military, Pro-American sites out there !

What a crock.....  I don't even wanna HEAR that the guys over in Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. can't get through....  

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Maybe all the free speech in GD is too much for them.

Perhaps with the ROP stance it has become a site under review.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Looks to me to be the work of some REMFs with nothing better to do than pocket pool.

Always is.

The filter where I intern is awesome. The best is when you're working on a counter-terror related thing, and you get denied access to a site containing information because of "violence". Yay IT department! The other great part is it's only randomly operating. I also had to use an alternate email address because my university webmail site was not allowed because of "College/Sports". Naturally this was after I'd given it out and had things I needed in my inbox.

Of course most people are pissed because they can't see ESPN.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:20:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Wonder if my pushing for the XM8 and HK416 had any effect?  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:26:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
at least in wash, dc and virginia! i thought it was just me that was having trouble getting in for the last week or two but i ended up calling our help desk in norfolk and, nope, it's banned...

I'm banned from www.USMC.mil by the USMC.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#33]
What are you maggots lookin' at?

Uncle Sam pays to shoot dirt bags, not act like a buncha fairy skirt wearin' secreatry sissies loking at some damn gun site!!

If anything on that website was that GDamn important, you would have been breifed on it!!

The corp supplies you with your own damn gun so go out there and kill something!!!

You maggots are dissmissed!!!!

Sorry, Just kidding around!!!  

Check out all the sites you want, screw the high command, this taxpayer gives you permission. If your C.O. gives you any crap, you have that wiener IM me and I'll straighten him right out!!!!!

Really everyone thanks for keeping us free, we at home support you. Don't listen to any of that media crap.  Thanks again...

C.M.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#34]
i run VNC server on my home computer so anything that is blocked at work or school, i just log onto my home computer.  its not good for extended viewing, but for a quick peek it works.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top