Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2006 10:56:01 AM EDT
I AM LOSING MY FRICKIN MIND DEALING WITH THIS!

I am running Win98SE and have a Sony DVD/CD Rewritable Drive with Nero software.  I have used the InCD that comes with the Nero to copy files to a Memorex CD-RW disc from my hard-drive for back-up purposes.  I have in the past retrieved files from the disc to look at and update.  NOW, I cannot find anything on the discs.  When I pull the files on the disc now they all come up as Incd (D:) with the contents on the disc as Files, Autorun, OpenHtml.  The disc is labeled "backup files" but does not even show that as the label anymore.  Arghhhhhhh!

I have searched all morning and downloaded a few of the freeware utilities that are supposed to help in the restoration of the files, and one of them, IsoBuster shows the files on the disc, but they want you to purchase the full version to recover them.  The others didn't even show me the files I am missing.  I need FREE utilities!

Regular software discs etc. do not give me problems, just the ones that I have used to copy.

Has anybody got a clue on what I can do to recover these files from a CD-RW disc?  Any help would be very much appreciated!!!!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:57:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you tried a different computer? Or restarting the one you're working on?

Also, don't be afraid to pay for quality utilities...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:00:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Are the discs scratched?  If so, buy one of those "game saver" things that buffs out the scratches.

Have the discs been exposed to direct sunlight, or wide swings in temps?  If so, you may be fooked.  Definitely try them on another computer, though...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:01:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I have re-installed the software and re-started several times.  I know, I just cannot afford $30 right now.

Yes, the discs are perfect condition.  Less than 3 months old.  Shiny mirror finish.  Probably popped in and out less than 10 times, because they are just for backing up certain files.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Happens to me all the time.  Usually, popping the disk into a different computer is all that is necessary.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Happens to me all the time.  Usually, popping the disk into a different computer is all that is necessary.

Interesting.  I will try it.  Any other suggestions in case it doesn't work?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:10:11 AM EDT
[#7]
you need to install the packet reading software on the computer you are trying to read the data on.  its on the original nero cd
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:11:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
you need to install the packet reading software on the computer you are trying to read the data on.  its on the original nero cd

I did re-install all of the Nero CD.  Then I went and downloaded all the updates on their site.  I will load at the link you sent me and see what happens.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did re-install all of the Nero CD.  Then I went and downloaded all the updates on their site.  I will load at the link you sent me and see what happens.  Thank you!

Shit!  That didn't work either.  The files are on the disc, because IsoBuster located them on there.  Will attempt to find another computer to try them on.  It was my understanding that you could only view them on a computer with the Nero, I will see.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:32:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Try some of these...linky

I have used 'restoration' for recovering deleted files. I am still trying to find another one that I have heard of, cannot remember the name...

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Try some of these...linky

I have used 'restoration' for recovering deleted files. I am still trying to find another one that I have heard of, cannot remember the name...

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Ok, here it is another link...I think I  have a full version of this somewhere. The trial version should let you know if you can recover some files. It should work for CDs also. Let me know if you want me to try to find my full version...I am not sure how 'legal' my copy is.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Bump for night crew from page 7.  STILL PULLING MY FRICKIN HAIR OUT! NOTHINGS WORKING!  Please Help!!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:57:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Bump for night crew from page 7.  STILL PULLING MY FRICKIN HAIR OUT! NOTHINGS WORKING!  Please Help!!!

No comfort here: I had the same thing happen; Win98/ Me, with Nero. I burned a few CD-RW discs with JPEGS and now I can't retrieve them. Neither the original system nor any program on my current computer even picks them up, nor shows their existence on the discs.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No comfort here: I had the same thing happen; Win98/ Me, with Nero. I burned a few CD-RW discs with JPEGS and now I can't retrieve them. Neither the original system nor any program on my current computer even picks them up, nor shows their existence on the discs.

Thanks, you make me feel so much better
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#17]
You have an IM
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:44:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I have this problem all of the time with my DVD-RWs, when they fail Windows can't see the files, but the data is still there I believe.  I think burning software clobbers/corrupts the VTOC of the DVD-RW.

The software that I'm currently using Sonic RecordNow DX(this is a feebie software that came with my DVD drive), has a little feature where it can copy a piece of data on a DVD bypassing the VTOC to your harddisk in .ISO format, this function works independent of the VTOC.  I used DAEMON Tools to simulate a DVD drive.  I use Sonic RecordNow DX to read the newly created file to the DAEMON drive, which to Windows look a regular DVD,  and then treat the DAEMON as just a ordinary DVD and copy the data to my hard disk.  And you're done.

Okay with that in mind, I bet that Nero has a comparable function somewhere.

I've learned my lesson, DVD-RWs and CD-RWs are not 100% reliable, you can loose your data if you're not careful, and you must take this into account.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I have this problem all of the time with my DVD-RWs, when they fail Windows can't see the files, but the data is still there I believe.  I think burning software clobbers/corrupts the VTOC of the DVD-RW.

The software that I'm currently using Sonic RecordNow DX(this is a feebie software that came with my DVD drive), has a little feature where it can copy a piece of data on a DVD bypassing the VTOC to your harddisk in .ISO format, this function works independent of the VTOC.  I used DAEMON Tools to simulate a DVD drive.  I use Sonic RecordNow DX to read the newly created file to the DAEMON drive, which to Windows look a regular DVD,  and then treat the DAEMON as just a ordinary DVD and copy the data to my hard disk.  And you're done.

Okay with that in mind, I bet that Nero has a comparable function somewhere.

I've learned my lesson, DVD-RWs and CD-RWs are not 100% reliable, you can loose your data if you're not careful, and you must take this into account.

Thanks.  I can tell you that I am looking to do something different in the future.  This really sucks!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:07:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I haven't used packet-writing software since 1998 for this exact reason.

After you get your files back go buy a thumb drive.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:55:09 PM EDT
[#21]
There are two problems you must resolve to find a solution. #1 you wrote these disks using a "mounting software" like making your RW-CD a sort of "second hard drive". This requires the special software you used to create it. If you take off or erase that software from your comp, then the comp will be unable to read the disk format. your gonna need to reinstall in-cd and then try to get the software to retreive the files. keep screwing with the "in-cd" program until it works.
#2 The Cd-rw you used might be for shit. I read an article that said that ALL writable laser media (DVD's,CD's) etc are lousy for long term storage (1 to 3 years at most!) i once bought the really cheap Cd's without even a top label on them. After 2 weeks they were unreadable! pure shit. Finds a good brand and try to stick to it, If you want long term storage (100+ years) you need magnetic media like tape, or floppy disks or zip drives.

The fact that your comp reads just a few files that are not what you stored tells me that the info is on there it is just compressed onto a format that only the "in-cd" program can read. maybe you could even pop it into another comp that also has IN-CD installed and see if it can read the disk.
good luck.

ETA: In-cd is NOT nero software, it just comes bundeled with it. it is made by ahead inc. I suggest you download the latest in-cd version and also the reader as well. THEN uninstall the old version then reboot the comp. THEN reinstall the newest version and reader and see what comes of it. Also look all about the net for solutions to this software glitch, using google, someone might already have had that problem.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks guys for all the help!  I was able to find Adaptec UDF Reader Driver that allowed me to retrieve my files and place them back on my harddrive.  I am a happy sum bitch!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:00:15 AM EDT
[#23]
I am running Win98SE

Upgrade, that system will drive you nuts.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:06:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Glad you got your files back.. Be aware that CD-RW's have a limited number of burns before they go tits up like you experienced. They also experience compatability issues with other CD drives more often than CD-R's.  I burn an R once, then toss it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#25]
WinstonSmith: You are correct, there is a finite number of times you can burn the disk, after that it is worn out.  When my DVD-/+RW disk start to get IO errors, I relegate them to back up of less than important data, at some point the DVD drive won't even mount the DVD/CD in question and then its the junk heap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top