Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2001 10:26:23 AM EDT
New shooter on the way, my faithful pickup is on it's way out to be replaced by a more family oriented truck.

90% of the driving will be by Mrs Citadelgrad, with the baby, but I still want something I can enjoy driving.

NO OFF ROAD use, 2WD only.

Possible future use towing a 23' deckboat around HAVASU, no more than a few (under 5) miles.  

I initially thought the Lexus RS300, their small SUV type, but am swinging back towards a TAHOE.

A few requests:

No bigger than the TAHOE, please, it must fit in my garage.

No "X brand" SUCKS!!! replies will be helpful in any way.  Specific concerns should be set forth, but this is not a Ford vs Chevy thread.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:31:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I recently purchased an "SUT".
Dodge Dakota Quad-Cab.
Great looking and performing.
EXCELLENT VALUE.
[url]http://www.4adodge.com/dakota/index.html[/url]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a 4runner and a Tacoma and I'm feelin fine.[smoke]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:32:09 AM EDT
[#3]
check out the Trailblazer from chev-got lots of power to haul yer stuff.
I had a friend who owned a brand x, he hated it-it was always at the shop, major POS.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I have test driven the Xterra and really liked it. A good solid build with not much body roll during cornering. It has pep but not raw power. This is a fun little SUV, very ruged and inexpensive. Definitely built for fun.

If you want power and a plush interior, I would recommend the Durango. Ruggedness, power and comfort.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:36:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not sure how it lines up with the Tahoe size-wise, but my 2WD Durango fits in the garage easily, and my 5'3" wife is very comfortable driving it. I bought it based on my father's recommendation, after he had his for two years with no problems. I've got 15000 miles on mine with no maintenance squawks at all, just oil and filter changes and windshield wiper blades.

I got the 5.9L, or 360ci, engine. It's the largest that Dodge puts in the Durango. It will easily tow anything you want, and a tow package comes in the SLT plus option package. You get the class II hitch, wiring for the lights, a bigger radiator and a transmission cooler.

Mine has a full leather interior, a CD player and a rear air conditioner unit.

I'm not sure what other specific features you're looking for, but I'd be glad to answer any questions.

Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.

Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#6]
How about looking at a Explorer sport track.  You will have plenty of room, haul lots of gear, and still perform some of the duties of your trusty 'ol pickup.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I got the 5.9L, or 360ci, engine. It's the largest that Dodge puts in the Durango. It will easily tow anything you want, and a tow package comes in the SLT plus option package. You get the class II hitch, wiring for the lights, a bigger radiator and a transmission cooler.

Mine has a full leather interior, a CD player and a rear air conditioner unit.

Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.

View Quote

Well I've had the pleasure of riding in the Jarhead mobile and I gotta tell. That Durango is impressive. Could be a party mobile too cause of that 3rd row seat in the back. Like I said its go a plush interior built for comfort and you do have power there
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Buy a 97-98 Pathfinder or Fourunner.

SOMEONE ELSE has taken the big hit on fair market value, and both the Nissan and Toyotas run forever.

NBN
(never buy new)

Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I have owned in the past four years the following, A range Rover, Land Rovery Discovery(POS), A mercedes Jeep and I currently own a Mercededs M320 and a Hummer.  My favorite of the bunch has been the Mercedes M320, with the hummer as the followup.

Lots of fun, and as safe as they come.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:44:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey, GRAD, how ya been?  Passed off any 'good' advice lately? [;)]  Congrats on the upcoming pooping machine.

You're going to miss your truck if you get a Tahoe or some other enclosed SUV.  If you don't want a big one (I LOVE my Ford Superduty Crewcab) you might consider some of the new mid-size crewcab trucks.  Ford Supercrew (great engines) or the new Chevy that looks real swoopy (comanche??).  I'd go with the Supercrew, though, as I've heard the new chevy is pricey.  Plenty of room for the family to grow in, good rear seat room, pickup bed for the wifes' landscaping ("honey, that tree [150' Sequoia] is perfect!!) projects, great engine (already said that) and it'll pull your partyboat.  Major Murphy's Dodge Dakota crewcab would also be a good selection.  All the new, little crewcabs (Nissan, Toyota, Chevy S-10, Ford Exploder thingee & etc.) would end up being too small both inside and in the engine compartment.

Hope this helps.

CB

Edited to point out that the Dodge Dakota can be had with the same engine (360 c.i.) that Jarhead22 has in his far too plush Durango. [:)]

Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Love my new Acura MDX, beats the RS300 hands down.  7 passenger seating, a navigational system thats simply awesome, great gas mileage and excellent build quality.  The only problem is finding one - had to wait a couple of months and travel to Tucson from the SF bay area to pick mine up, but well worth it IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:48:22 AM EDT
[#12]
The Tahoe would be a nice choice, especially if you want to tow a big boat. If you want something "different," check out Chevy's Avalanche, although I think it may be 4WD only.

My wife had a 98 Blazer. Avoid them. The S10 platform doesn't compare very well to the fullsize Chevys. My 2001 Siverado is a very nice truck (except for the damn DRLs).
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:49:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Claybuster,
I think you are thinking Avalanche by Chevy.  Got to drive one at the dealership, nice interior, firm handling, but still gives you that nice truck feel.

Citadelgrad97,
I recomend the Avalanche, or the Denali.  Let us know what you chose.

Ice
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:50:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Buy a 97-98 Pathfinder or Fourunner.

SOMEONE ELSE has taken the big hit on fair market value, and both the Nissan and Toyotas run forever.

NBN
(never buy new)
View Quote

I moved from a '95 Toyota 4Runner to my present Durango. Let me tell you: the 3.0L V6 in the 4Runner is [b]way[/b] underpowered if you plan to tow anything. It struggled going up the hills in Orange County, CA, let alone anything serious. If you get one, it will run forever (300K miles is not unusual) but that motor is a dog if you want to tow.

Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I had a four paragraph reply all ready and my computer crashed before I got a chance to post it.

Here are the highlights:

My mom just bought a GMC Envoy (same truck as the Chevy Trailblaser).
It kicks ass!
Its set on a full truck frame and has an inline 6cyl rated at 270hp. It feels very fast for its size. I beleive the tow rating is somewhere in the 6,000 lb range.
Prices are in the low $30's (Chevy's are approx $3,000 cheaper).
I'm not positive about the 4X4 if its an option or not. I think you can get it in 2 wheel drive.

At the very least if you're not going to buy one, do yourself a favor and take one for a test drive. It will definitely leave you with a smile on your face.

The only downside to these vehicles is that they've only been in production for a few months so I'm not sure what bugs will be popping up.

Check out the GMC Envoy at:
[url]http://www.gmc.com/envoy/main.html[/url]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:56:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Claybuster,
I think you are thinking Avalanche by Chevy.  Got to drive one at the dealership, nice interior, firm handling, but still gives you that nice truck feel.
View Quote

Thanks, Ice.  I'm sure you're right.  I saw an Avalanche this weekend up in the mts.  Sharp looking truck.  Too bad it's a Chevy.  Sorry, GRAD, couldn't pass up just one little dig being the dyed-in-the-wool Ford man I am. [:)]  Actually, Chevy has GREAT engines and now they have the Allison tranny in their big trucks.  Good gear.  Just a personal preference.

Could Comanche be that hideous thing that Pontiac is putting out now?  You know the one.  Looks like a flat-sided beetle on steroids.  Whatever you do, GRAD, don't get one of those.  You couldn't get by all the people laughing their asses off at it. [:)]

CB
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Can't beat a 4-Runner.  Safe, long life, V6 has plenty of power unless you're gonna tow a boat, in which case buy a Sequoia.

Tracer Technology
[url]http://www.tracertechnology.com[/url]
Law Enforcement & Military Equipment
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:59:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
90% of the driving will be by Mrs Citadelgrad, with the baby, but I still want something I can enjoy driving.

NO OFF ROAD use, 2WD only.
View Quote

Sound like you dont need an SUV at all. A minivan would fit your intended use better.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#20]
I am looking too. I am going to check out the new 2002 Jeep Liberty, 210 hp 3.7l v-6 with 225fp torque. It comes in both 2 and 4 wheel drive options. It's in the same size range as the RS300 and other smaller SUV's. I really like the "retro" Willys type front grill and lights.

I may also check out the Mercedes ML 320. The ML's have similar performance ratings to the other sub-SUV's, except for the AMG55 of course. It's about $12,000 more, base price. The ML's are all-wheel drive, so no 2X option.

The RS300's are supposed to be really good SUVs, although they kinda have that "station wagon" look. The Acura MDX looks a lot like the RS, and has won a bunch of 'best ofs' too.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm gonna chime in and say go Toyota. They are IMO the most reliable brand on the market today.
4-Runner being my top choice. Take a look at the new Toyoya Sequioa. Haven't heard much about it, but it's supposed to be in the Tahoe/Expedition class.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 10:42:33 AM EDT
[#22]
When my family grew from three to six, I ended up trading in my Explorer for a Tahoe.

There are times when I wish I had the extra space of a Suburban, but there are times that I wish for a Roadster.

The nice thing about the Tahoe, is that I opted for a bench front.  I absolultely had to have this option, so that I could remove the third-row and still have Six Passenger Capacity.

Good Luck in your decision.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#23]
If you are planning on towing, but staying on the road, [b]think about getting a 4x4 anyway![/b].  
Traction is important when towing over slick roads.  As long as you stay on the road, you can't go wrong with any mid-size American made vehicle.  
Make sure it is tow rated for your uses, and go with a larger displacement engine for better torque.  A V6 is generally only good for very small, light towing.  Get a V8.
European vehicles aren't quite there yet for the most part.

As for me I go off road all the time, so I have a Jeep.  Damn the handling and ride.  I have 50 years left to get old.

Edited for clarity.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#24]
I've owned three S series Blazers and was always pleased with them, however, when I went looking for a 4X4 I wound up buying a Tahoe.  I'll never buy another small SUV again.  The extra room makes it much more comfortable on long trips.  I average about 15MPG which is acceptable to me.

Eddie

Link Posted: 8/16/2001 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#25]
How 'bout an SUT?

[img]http://www.mindspring.com/~joeloftus/shared/hulk1.jpg[/img]

I love it! Four full doors, plenty of power, looks great, enough room in the back for a buck deer. 19k and no troubles yet. It comes in a 2WD as well. Might not fit in yer garage.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Have you considered the Acura MDX, a 3.5l engine, tows 2000lbs, larger than a RX-300, all leather interior, and the steering wheel has the radio channel & volume control (sweeeet!!).  mileage is 17/23

Go to a site like [url]www.toyota.com[/url] and compare all the suvs out there.

All this for $34k to $38k.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 9:45:58 PM EDT
[#27]
The 96-current Toyota 4Runners (third generation) very reliable, and you can do to yours like I did to mine:

[img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/Supercharger-Oil_Filler_Cap.jpg[/img]

The 4 door Dakota is nice as well, and it already comes with the extra horsepower.

Jay
Arizona

"Life is hard:
It's harder when you're stupid"
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Keep in mind, there are still people on the waiting list for the '99 brand X.

Seriously, be sure to look at www.nhtsa.gov
lots of good information on safety and recalls, "hidden warranties" (it pays to bitch), etc.

Also thing about this math:

wt. of vehicle + wt. of boat & trailer

another ratio:   vehicle weight / towed weight
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 10:50:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Toyota Sequoia

Nissan Pathfinder/Infiniti QX4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top