Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2006 6:56:11 PM EDT
Alright, my son is 2 1/2 years old and I want to start getting his 1st rifle built.  Obviously, I have some time until he'll start becoming effective with it, but I just want it to be downright badass!

I'm not afraid to put over a grand into it, as I like all of our weapons to be really nice all done, and I like doing most of the tricking out myself, a novice I am, but it's a rewarding feeling to know you did it yourself.

Now, I'm totally unfamiliar with the Ruger 10/22 and am asking for advice on websites, accessories and so on.

Please fill me in with any advice or sites you know about.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Head on over to "The Armory - 10/22" section.  

www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=11

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Even better than that, head to rimfirecentral.com

You head will spin!  I spent a ton of time on there before I built my first "ultimate" 10/22 and it really payed off.  I also worked over all of my factory Rugers and made them shoot much better.  You will learn everything you need to know about gunsmithing a Ruger and will be able to get all of the neccesary parts to do it yourself and at the best price

Have fun...your son is a lucky boy...teach him well
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:16:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't worry about heavy barrels and thumbhole stocks just yet... the boy won't be able to fire it comfortably.

Leave the 10/22 completely stock... you may even have to shorten the factory stock to fit him.

No optics.  Make him learn on iron sights.

Basically what I am saying is, do not pimp out your son's 10/22 just yet.  Let him get accustomed to shooting it first, then when he's ready, add all the cool stuff.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 on rimfirecentral.com
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Kids these days.
In my day, I had to learn on a single shot bolt action, with a manual firing pin(!) I didn't get a semi- until I was 9. I didn't get a 10/22 until I was 18.

Quoted:
Leave the 10/22 completely stock... you may even have to shorten the factory stock to fit him.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Don't worry about heavy barrels and thumbhole stocks just yet... the boy won't be able to fire it comfortably.

Basically what I am saying is, do not pimp out your son's 10/22 just yet.  Let him get accustomed to shooting it first, then when he's ready, add all the cool stuff.

I second this.  My son is 6-1/2 (and a big 6-1/2 at that) and a stock 10-22 is still a long, heavy rifle for him to support anywhere but on a bench.  I'd say that you should start tricking out the 10/22 when he can recite the 4 rules without aid, and he can put 10 rounds on target using iron sights.  If he proves to be a gun enthusiast as he gets older, use "tricking it out" as a positive reward for good behavior.  Trust me, as he gets older, promoting good behavior will be paramount, and "fixing up" "his" rifle will be effective if it's something that he sees value in.  

Now, if you just want to fix it up because you like cool looking rifles, ignore everything I've said and trick away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top