Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 6:22:28 PM EDT
New unit to focus on insurgent tactics

By Matthew Cox
Times staff writer

The Army recently stood up a new unit designed to find ways to fight insurgent tactics like suicide bombing and kidnapping.

The Asymmetric Warfare Group, activated March 8 at Fort Meade, Md., is the senior Army leadership’s answer to combating asymmetric weapons and tactics such as the use of improvised explosive devices in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to a recent Army press release.

For now, the unit is made up of about 60 soldiers from 12 different military occupational specialties, but there are plans for it to grow to about 400 soldiers, the release states.

The unit’s commander, Col. Robert Shaw, is a Special Forces officer who has commanded two Special Forces A-Teams. He has also served as an instructor at Army Ranger School in his 24 years of experience, the release stated.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#1]
About frikken time!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Death squads.

But if you really take the gloves off and let the professionals handle the insurgency problem, there wont be one in several weeks.  But a large mechanized army like ours will always have problems like we have now.

Executive Outcomes for example would have torn the insurgents a new butthole.  But the could do what they wanted and they had NO restraints on their actions and tactics.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Before I click......

Is this the lame ass redneck thing?

ETA:  I guess it's ligit....

Company level unit at best.
Underfunded experimental unit outside TO&E.

Those of us who have been outside TO&E as a unit realize it's not super fun.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:25:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

By Matthew Cox
Times staff writer

The Army recently stood up a new unit designed to find ways to fight insurgent tactics like suicide bombing and kidnapping.

The Asymmetric Warfare Group, activated March 8 at Fort Meade, Md., is the senior Army leadership’s answer to combating asymmetric weapons and tactics such as the use of improvised explosive devices in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to a recent Army press release.

For now, the unit is made up of about 60 soldiers from 12 different military occupational specialties, but there are plans for it to grow to about 400 soldiers, the release states.

The unit’s commander, Col. Robert Shaw, is a Special Forces officer who has commanded two Special Forces A-Teams. He has also served as an instructor at Army Ranger School in his 24 years of experience, the release stated.

60 men.......versus more than 12,000 estimated insurgents.....shit.....there are 5 million people in Baghdad alone.......not to be a downer, but I don't see this as being very effective.....
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Before I click......

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:28:26 PM EDT
[#6]
you know what we are doing in iraq is very similar with what the israelis have been dealing with for almost 50 years. their survival depends on dealing with the same type of craziness. and after all that time, they finally decide that they will just wall themselves off from the crazies.

so i wonder if we are just learning the same lessons the israelis have learned. no technology, no tactics, nothing stops them unless you kill them all or physically separate yourself from them totally.

they don't want any type of 'democracy' or freedom that as we understand it. they only respond to despots and strongmen. will we be able to accomplish something that no one else has been able to do?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:29:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

By Matthew Cox
Times staff writer

It will be fine.  Think about what Jack Bauer can do all alone!  

60 men.......versus more than 12,000 estimated insurgents.....shit.....there are 5 million people in Baghdad alone.......not to be a downer, but I don't see this as being very effective.....

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Before I click......

Calm down.  I thought it was a circulateing internet joke.  I see it's not.

See my ETA.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#9]
If they really wanted to be serious about the insurgency, they would ressurect the Phoenix project from Viet Nam and turn it loose on the Sunni Triangle.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If they really wanted to be serious about the insurgency, they would ressurect the Phoenix project from Viet Nam and turn it loose on the Sunni Triangle.

They need a unit willing to fight dirty. Do things that would make politicians CRY. Take it fast and hard to the enemy and play their game better than them  Put a Richard Marchinko type in charge and turn them loose
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
...The unit’s commander, Col. Robert Shaw, is a Special Forces officer who has commanded two Special Forces A-Teams. He has also served as an instructor at Army Ranger School in his 24 years of experience, the release stated.

I met this guy at a gun show.  he sells beef jerky and porcelain dolphin figurines during his off time.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:30:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...The unit’s commander, Col. Robert Shaw, is a Special Forces officer who has commanded two Special Forces A-Teams. He has also served as an instructor at Army Ranger School in his 24 years of experience, the release stated.

I met this guy at a gun show.  he sells beef jerky and porcelain dolphin figurines during his off time.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Death squads.

But if you really take the gloves off and let the professionals handle the insurgency problem, there wont be one in several weeks.  But a large mechanized army like ours will always have problems like we have now.

Executive Outcomes for example would have torn the insurgents a new butthole.  But the could do what they wanted and they had NO restraints on their actions and tactics.

The issue here is payment. Companies like EO generally only work for rights. Ie. Mining, Drilling, etc Rights. This is the business the owners of companies like EO (now closed) are in.
Also this is where the *REAL* money is made.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't we already have a unit formed to fight unconventionally---SF?  The Washington Post had an article on the new counterinsurgency acadamy in Iraq;  and how SF wanted nothing whatsoever to do with teaching counter insurgency tactics to "straight leg" army units.  SF had to be ordered to provide instructors.  

This effort is about three years too late.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Paging Colonel Hunt...Colonel David Hunt...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Before I click......

hr

http://www2.gol.com/users/coynerhm/TexasAntiTerror.jpg
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:09:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I wish they would quit the political bullshit and get busy!  Let the bombs rip and the boys start shooting........no questions asked!

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:02:27 PM EDT
[#18]
60 men...sheesh. I bet its all gonna be desk jobs for them, analysts and such.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
60 men...sheesh. I bet its all gonna be desk jobs for them, analysts and such.  

That's the idea.
You guys do realize this a group whose purpose is to study asymetrical warfare, and advise the army on how to use current forces to conduct a successful counterinsurgency.
I expect they will be watching "The Battle of Algiers"  many, many times.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:29:46 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They need a unit willing to fight dirty. Do things that would make politicians CRY. Take it fast and hard to the enemy and play their game better than them  Put a Richard Marchinko type in charge and turn them loose

+ a freakin billion
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:47:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:50:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Any of the old RLI guys still around to hire as consultants?z
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:56:49 AM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:04:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+ a freakin billion

I too absolutely agree with the above!!! What I don't understand is why the Military advisors who have knowledge of the bs that has been going on since we got there have NOT suggested this already!?!?

This is exactly what is needed over there right now, we have enough people in country who have been there plenty long enough to know the exact ins and outs  of who is perpetrating all the bullshit and put them out of our misery.

After all did they learn nothing from Vietnam?? This hearts and mind bullshit will not work until all the combatants are killed. Yeah we have won the war but should we be willing to lose the peace because a bunch of islamic extremists are willing to carry on the fight???

If we don't mop up the insurgents now, after we leave they will just start right back up as soon as we leave and turn Iraq into another Cambodian type killing field just like what happened in Vietnam and Cambodia.

After all does anyone really believe that the political and millitary structure we leave behind will be willing and able to stand up to Al-Queda?? We all know that they are behind the insurgency right now, as soon as we leave they will institute a scorched earth policy that makes what is going on right now look like a friendly picnic. Hell half of the standing Iragi Army is just waiting to turn and join them right now!!!!.....
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:46:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Hey, there's a new CBS TV show about a CT military unit.  Coincidense?  I think not...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:53:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+ a freakin billion

I too absolutely agree with the above!!! What I don't understand is why the Military advisors who have knowledge of the bs that has been going on since we got there have NOT suggested this already!?!?

This is exactly what is needed over there right now, we have enough people in country who have been there plenty long enough to know the exact ins and outs  of who is perpetrating all the bullshit and put them out of our misery.

After all did they learn nothing from Vietnam?? This hearts and mind bullshit will not work until all the combatants are killed. Yeah we have won the war but should we be willing to lose the peace because a bunch of islamic extremists are willing to carry on the fight???

If we don't mop up the insurgents now, after we leave they will just start right back up as soon as we leave and turn Iraq into another Cambodian type killing field just like what happened in Vietnam and Cambodia.

After all does anyone really believe that the political and millitary structure we leave behind will be willing and able to stand up to Al-Queda?? We all know that they are behind the insurgency right now, as soon as we leave they will institute a scorched earth policy that makes what is going on right now look like a friendly picnic. Hell half of the standing Iragi Army is just waiting to turn and join them right now!!!!.....

oh Lord +infinity
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top