Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2006 1:55:25 PM EDT
LINK...

NRA NEWS RADIO was talking about the cases they are working on today.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#1]
If you think the NRA is worthless, off yourself.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#2]
They appear to not want to "thump their chests" too much on their lawsuits. They give themselves a half page every once in a while that I've seen (in the Rifleman). Maybe they should start really blowing out what litigation they do.

But if they do that I bet the NRA haters would accuse them of being boisterous or something.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you think the NRA is worthless, off yourself.

thats how i feel as well
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#4]
They haven't been doing much in Maryland
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#5]
NRA is really sticking it to the liberals, ever since Bill Clinton gave them such a huge boost.  Any gun owner not in the NRA is a complete moron if they really care about the 2nd Amendment.  If every legal gun owner in the US was a member, there would be no anti-gun legislation.  The NRA is already a juggernaut, with the numbers they could have they would crush all opposition.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:01:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
NRA is really sticking it to the liberals, ever since Bill Clinton gave them such a huge boost.  Any gun owner not in the NRA is a complete moron if they really care about the 2nd Amendment.  If every legal gun owner in the US was a member, there would be no anti-gun legislation.  The NRA is already a juggernaut, with the numbers they could have they would crush all opposition.

You said it.

NRA, GOA join them BOTH!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm an NRA life member. I've been disappointed with the NRA in the past. They've done right by us the last few years, however. The AWB went away, we got junk lawsuit immunity for gunmakers, and they are fighting all kinds of BS in the several states right now.

Two thumbs up...for now.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:06:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

What he said.

Balming
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:11:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
They appear to not want to "thump their chests" too much on their lawsuits. They give themselves a half page every once in a while that I've seen (in the Rifleman). Maybe they should start really blowing out what litigation they do.

But if they do that I bet the NRA haters would accuse them of being boisterous or something.

NRA haters can't be any more vocal or deceitful, so who cares what they accuse?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:17:00 PM EDT
[#10]
There was a thread last last weekend about some dumb ass needing convincing to join the NRA. He should go to that link.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:23:33 PM EDT
[#11]
There are two kinds of gun owners..........those that belong to the NRA and those that don't. As long as the number of gun owners who do not belong to the NRA outnumber us that do, we will continue to have more stupid gun laws rammed down our throats.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You said it.

NRA, GOA join them BOTH!

I am a member of the NRA, GOA, JFPO, and the VCDL.  

I won't join Pink Pistols.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Please, join the NRA.
$35.00 a year; or use EPL, Easy Pay Life.
Payable over a number of years, $700.00
Maybe $35. 00 a quarter 'till you are paid off.
My figures may be wrong, however, the last few days have been long, sleepless ones.
They have changed there thinking; knowing how MANY of us Love our " Sport Utility Rifles"
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:42:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You said it.

NRA, GOA join them BOTH!

I'm a Life Member of both, thank you
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I think it a shame that a person who advocates saving our gun rights and who ownes a gun is not a member of the NRA. The most powerful group protecting our rights is the NRA. I am proud to be a life member.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:14:53 PM EDT
[#16]
From a life member, I also recommend that anyone that is NOT a life member of NRA, do join.

The liberals really, really, hate the NRA with a passion.  I was in a Borders Books Store in Pasadena Calif, and I notice employee was behaving strangely toward me, then I remembered I was wearing my NRA baseball cap.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
From a life member, I also recommend that anyone that is NOT a life member of NRA, do join.

The liberals really, really, hate the NRA with a passion.  I was in a Borders Books Store in Pasadena Calif, and I notice employee was behaving strangely toward me, then I remembered I was wearing my NRA baseball cap.

I wish I could afford the cash up front for a Life Membership.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I disagree:

Taken from therre web site...

"MARYLAND

Douglas J. Godesky (Maryland). He is an employee of the federal government. He was subjected to harsh discipline, namely, termination, on account of his membership in the NRA and because he is a gun owner. On June 11, 2004, the arbitrator ruled that "the Agency consciously disregarded previous disciplinary decisions of similarly situated employees." The arbitrator ordered that "the Grievant be reinstated to his position [and] ... awarded full back pay and benefits." He is pursuing EEOC, federal tort claims, and a Bivens action against the agency and individuals responsible.

Keith Barrett (Maryland). He is a Maryland State Trooper. He was charged with a violating a federal law that restricts possession of certain semiautomatic firearms to police officers. The law is unclear whether this applies to duty only or if it includes off duty status. On May 28, 2004, information was provided that Trooper Barrett has been reinstated and his record has been cleared.

David Pence v. Montgomery County (Maryland). This case involved the seizure of firearms from the victim of a home invasion. The police refused to return the firearms. To make matters worse, the firearms were destroyed after the filing of a lawsuit based on 42 U.S. Code § 1983. The lawsuit was filed on March 17, 2003. Mr. Pence's attorney advised on March 9, 2005, that Judge Dugan of the Montgomery County Circuit Court found that the county had denied Mr. Pence due process. The court did issue a judgment awarding Mr. Pence the value of his firearms. A valuation hearing was held following the decision. The judge did chide the county for failing to observe due process, for failing to grant a hearing, and for the county's actions on seizing, retaining, refusing to return, and eventually destroying property and never giving Mr. Pence an opportunity to be heard.

Maryland Gun Safety Act of 2000. Maryland enacted in 2000 a law requiring "Any manufacturer that ships or transports a handgun to be sold, rented, or transferred in the state shall include in the box with the handgun in a separate sealed container ... a shell casing of a projectile discharged from that handgun." A declaratory judgment action was filed to affirm that the law applies just where the legislature said it applies: to manufacturers. The court was asked to enjoin the state from enforcing its new mandate upon entities outside the scope of this law. Meaning of mechanical safety provision was challenged through a declaratory relief action. On April 27, 2004, a complaint for declaratory judgment was filed in the circuit court for Montgomery County. It is captioned James M. Purtilo v. Col. Thomas E. Hutchins, Secretary of Department of Maryland State Police. The defendants filed a motion to dismiss. Plaintiff filed his opposition on September 7, 2004. A hearing occurred on December 9, 2004. The circuit court found that plaintiff suffered no harm and dismissed the lawsuit based on a lack of standing. The hearing results suggest that the plaintiff seek administrative redress first. Once administrative remedies have been exhausted, he could seek relief in court.

Krasner (Silverado Gun Show) v. Montgomery County (Md.). This is an effort by the county to shut down gun shows by prohibiting financial or in-kind support to any organization that allows gun shows. This prohibition applies to the fair grounds located within the City of Gaithersburg. The U.S. District Court granted injunctive relief based on the county's violation of the Tillie Frank state law. The court did not reach the 1st Amendment claims. The case is reported as Krasner v. Montgomery County, 166 F.Supp.2d 1058 (D.Md. 2001). The county appealed to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit. On April 1, 2003, the court sent the case back to the trial court to determine whether the plaintiffs have standing to sue. The trial court still found standing to sue for two of the three plaintiffs. The county appealed to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit. Oral argument occurred on December 1, 2004. The Court of Appeals held on March 11, 2005, that the gun show promoter and exhibitor have no standing to challenge a county law that denies public funding to venues that display and sell firearms.

Troy Bradley Brigance (Md.). He lives in a high crime area in Baltimore. Two drug dealers attempted to invade his home. Mr. Brigance showed up at the front window of his home holding a shotgun. The two men, who had up to that point been kicking and beating his front door, ran to a nearby police substation and claimed Mr. Brigance had for no reason aimed his shotgun at them. Mr. Brigance was arrested. Charges were dismissed on the day of trial when defense counsel was able to show one witness had used the name and address of a man who been dead for two years (the real complainant had outstanding felony arrest warrants), and the other complainant was being arraigned in the same courthouse, but different courtroom, on other charges. This information was provided on September 10, 2004.

Todd Lin Chow (Md.). On April 23, 2003, Todd Lin Chow, a District of Columbia Metropolitan Police Officer in good standing, met with his friend, Man Nguyen, in Maryland. Mr. Nguyen wanted to purchase a pistil from Officer Chow. It was decided that before any agreement to buy the pistol would be consummated and the terms of an agreement would be reached, Mr. Nguyen would first test-fire the pistol at a local shooting range. Subsequently, Mr. Nguyen was stopped by the police and the pistol was seized. Officer Chow was charged with transferring a pistil to a person other than a firearms dealer without first going through the application for transfer process with the Maryland State Police and receiving an approval. He was convicted. On June 2, 2005, the Maryland Court of Special Appeals upheld the conviction. The court held that a "transfer" under the statute includes a temporary transfer without consideration, that is, without payment of anything of value. There are a multitude of "temporary transfer" scenarios where the present decision in Chow will weigh against the everyday activities of firearm owners. A petition for a writ of certiorari was filed in the Maryland Court of Appeals. The NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund filed a motion in support of certiorari on October 20, 2005.

National Capital Skeet & Trap Club, Inc. (Maryland). According to an August 1, 2005, letter this case involves a range and the use of environmental law to attempt to shut it down. The club operated a skeet and trap club on the same plot of land since 1954. In 1979 the Maryland Department of Natural Resources purchased the club's land, incorporating the parcel into Seneca Creek State Park. For a quarter-century thereafter the club operated under state supervision and control. Potomac Riverkeeper, Inc., want an order enjoining operation of the range, clean up and remediation of lead shot, imposition of civil penalties, and imposition of cost and attorneys' fees. The lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court on February 25, 2005. The defendants are the club and Maryland Department of Natural Resources. "

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Over 60,000,000 gun owners in the US, and less than 2,000,000 NRA members. Think what we could do if the NRA had all those 60,00,000? I'm a member of the NRA, GOA, JPFO, and SAF.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Waaaaaa.... but they send me junk mail!!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:33:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Over 60,000,000 gun owners in the US, and less than 2,000,000 NRA members. Think what we could do if the NRA had all those 60,00,000? I'm a member of the NRA, GOA, JPFO, and SAF.

I thought the NRA had more members than that? 3-4M?

I'm a life member of the NRA. I used to be a GOA member but I'm not convinced they do anything useful besides generate a lot of hot air in their mailings.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:54:30 AM EDT
[#22]
If you're a gun owner, but not a NRA member, you suck.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:00:13 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

4 million NRA members.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:55:09 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

1.  Maryland is hopeless as long as we have Baltimore City, PG County, and Montgomery County.

2.  The NRA spent $3 million here back in about 1988 trying to prevent the "Saturday Night Special" law which ended up being a general gun ban.  That was a lot of money for NRA and they lost, and lost clout because of it.  As Neal Knox says, they need to choose their battles carefully.

PS.  We do have a great pro-gun organization in the state, run by Dr. Purtillo, who published Tripwire every month.  Check out the web site (and buy some raffle tickets!): www.myguns.net
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top