Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2006 11:24:05 AM EDT
LEBANON, Va. -- A Virginia emergency medical technician is going to prison for a fatal defibrillator prank.

Joshua Martin, 25, had pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter in January, after jolting a co-worker with cardiac paddles. Courtney Rhoton, 23, died three days after getting the jolt.

Martin cried and apologized to Rhoton's family before being sentenced Tuesday to five years in prison. Four years of that were suspended.

Prosecutors said Martin was goofing around last June when he put the defibrillator paddles to Rhoton's side and gave her a fatal jolt of electricity.

Martin pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter in January.

Martin has been in jail since January. He must serve a remaining 10 months behind bars, followed by five years on probation.

Rhoton was a mother of two.

Rhoton's half-sister, Chanda Lawson, thought Martin should get a life term for her sister's death.

"That's what my sister got," she told the world. "I hope when he lays down at night he remembers those two kids don't have a mommy anymore because of the foolish thing he done."

Martin had no criminal record and had several testify that he was a good, caring man who would do anything for anyone, according to the Daily Press.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:26:20 AM EDT
[#1]
What a douche.  As an EMT, he should have known better.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:27:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Shocking.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Shocking.

Electrifying
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:30:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#5]
You can hardly call that a prank.  EMTs are trained about the consequences that will happen if you misuse that.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#6]
totally dupefiing!  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
totally dupefiing!  

Shame on me.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:35:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
totally dupefiing!  

Shame on me.  

Nah, its been a while.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Its not the voltage...its the current...and even a fairly small current can kill you.

Sad story.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
totally dupefiing!  

Shame on me.  

yeah.....but you didn't know.

that guy was a uber dumbass
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#11]
You dont even need have contact for the paddles to hurt you.

We had one dude take the paddles and aim them at another person a few inches away. They arched and totally knocked the other person for a loop.  Also burned the hell out of them.  Residents were fucking around, needless to say, that one is no longer a resident.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:38:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Very stupid, I thought AED type systems won't work when a person has a normal heart rhythm?

www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD/MGArticle/RTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1137833607005
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:42:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Very stupid, I thought AED type systems won't work when a person has a normal heart rhythm?

www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD/MGArticle/RTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1137833607005

An AED is for retards.  It is automatic and does all the shocking itself.

A defribilator is something totally different.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top