Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2006 10:47:26 AM EDT
I was wondering what the opinions on these two are:

Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Bookers

Just your opinions on if you have ever had them. Where do they fall in the bourbon world? Are they generally pretty cheap, poor quality, or are they expensive quality bourbons?
If anyone has ever actually tried either or both please reply with your thoughts!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:53:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a bottle of the rare breed.  Its pretty good stuff actually, but I still rate Knobb Creek and Makers Mark higher.  Not too bad though, I would take it over Jim Beam any day.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have a bottle of the rare breed.  Its pretty good stuff actually, but I still rate Knobb Creek and Makers Mark higher.  Not too bad though, I would take it over Jim Beam any day.

Both the Knobb Creek and the Bookers are from the "Small Batch" collection correct? The bottle of bookers came with a little booklet that listed all of the "Small Batch" bourbons. Knob Creek was one of them.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#3]
another good one to try is Wild Turkey Liquor.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:10:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Both the Knobb Creek and the Bookers are from the "Small Batch" collection correct? The bottle of bookers came with a little booklet that listed all of the "Small Batch" bourbons. Knob Creek was one of them.

I am not sure, I have never tried Bookers, or seen it available around here.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Go ask TomJefferson in the Survival Forum.
IIRC, he's all stocked up on the Rare Breed.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I have tried Rare Breed.  Good, but I still like Maker's Mark.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+1   but, I onlydrink on special occasions, like when a buddy or relative gets out of jail.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1   but, I onlydrink on special occasions, like when a buddy or relative gets out of jail.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:42:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I sure hope you don't drink often.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:52:11 PM EDT
[#10]
So has anyone ever actually tried any of this?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I've bought both. I've also bought Knobb Creek and other 'craft' bourbons. IMHO the rgular old W.L. Weller is the best bourbon going, bar none. It's not too expensive either. It's just great sippin whiskey!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:06:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Bookers is very good.  The liquor store up the street gets like $60 a bottle for the stuff.  The Rare Breed is also good but not up to the level of the Bookers.  IIRC the Rare Breed sells for in the neighborhood of $30.  

Drink 'em both and enjoy.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:52:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Bookers is very good.  The liquor store up the street gets like $60 a bottle for the stuff.  The Rare Breed is also good but not up to the level of the Bookers.  IIRC the Rare Breed sells for in the neighborhood of $30.  

Drink 'em both and enjoy.

I have tried both, but I couldn't really tell the difference. The Bookers seemed to go down easier, but certainly not worth the extra money. I haven't yet developed a taste for bourbon to tell the subtle differences. I am only now able to tast the flavors in the bourbon, I used to just down it in shots, but now I sip a little, "Over the rocks".
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Barrel strength whiskey is too strong for regular sipping. Hell, I like a splash of water in my 90 proof whiskeys. All you taste is alcohol when it is that strong.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:59:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Whiskey is the sweat from Satan's balls.  Or is that Tequilla......
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:24:20 PM EDT
[#16]
tequilla
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Barrel strength whiskey is too strong for regular sipping. Hell, I like a splash of water in my 90 proof whiskeys. All you taste is alcohol when it is that strong.

I never knew this. How much water should be added? I usually let the ice melt a little bit, it makes the bourbon alot less colorful, but it does bring out the the flavor a little more.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:48:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I have never been dissipointed with any kind of Turkey, but Bookers and the rest of the Jim Beam I think blow everything else I've had out of the water.  Knob Creek is my favorite.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never knew this. How much water should be added? I usually let the ice melt a little bit, it makes the bourbon alot less colorful, but it does bring out the the flavor a little more.

Add water to your taste. Whiskey is commonly bottled at around 90 proof. Makers Mark is my favorite of these (and appears to be the fav of quite a few other here). With a 90 proof whiskey, I just use a splash of water. Definitely less water than whiskey, maybe 2:1 whiskey to water. With a barrel strengh whiskey I use more water, but I don't drink those very often.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Add water to your taste. Whiskey is commonly bottled at around 90 proof. Makers Mark is my favorite of these (and appears to be the fav of quite a few other here). With a 90 proof whiskey, I just use a splash of water. Definitely less water than whiskey, maybe 2:1 whiskey to water. With a barrel strengh whiskey I use more water, but I don't drink those very often.

What makes a bourbon "Barrel Proof"?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:07:11 PM EDT
[#21]
At first, I thought the label said "Squirrel Proof" and I thought, are squirrels that big a problem?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is straight out of the barrel.  The barrel proof whiskey is just as if they poured it out of a barrell into the bottle -  its not mixed together to give a uniform flavor.  Thats why one barrell of barrel proof doesnt quite taste the same as another.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:28:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I loves me some Booker's.  I bought a new bottle last night.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Rare Breed......it's okay, probably won't buy again.

Bookers..........great, if around $50@bottle doesn't bother you or only for special occassions(no family)!

Knob Creek.....it's my favorite!

teamroper
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is straight out of the barrel.  The barrel proof whiskey is just as if they poured it out of a barrell into the bottle -  its not mixed together to give a uniform flavor.  Thats why one barrell of barrel proof doesnt quite taste the same as another.  

Additionally, it means that there is no water added before bottling. Straight out of the barrel, whiskey can be as strong as 130 proof. Most people aren't interested in drinking liquor this strong, so it is diluted before bottling, ususally to around 90 proof.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:19:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Since you are one of the few who replied that actually drink it, may I ask how you drink it? Do you add water? Over the rocks? Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I've never tried the Rare Breed or Bookers, but have heard of Bookers being pretty good. I do love my Makers Mark and Knobb Creek as well, and damn near anything is better than Jim Beam.  JB is (IMHO) for mixing with soft drinks... MM and KC are for drinking neat or with ice only.

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Booker's is some good shit. Finally finished my bottle a couple months ago. It lasted about a year or so. Hot ya only need a little bit though. You have to have it on the rocks, sweeet!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:35:20 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Since you are one of the few who replied that actually drink it, may I ask how you drink it? Do you add water? Over the rocks? Thanks for the input.

I rarely add water.  I'll usually take it neat or over the rocks.  It is a strong one at around 120 proof, but it has the best taste of any premium bourbon I've had.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:55:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for the replies!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:07:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Rare breed is just about all I buy.
I can't buy Kentucky Spirit (which is the shizzle)all the time, too expensivce, only a couple of times a year.
Rare Breed Society has freebies which are cool, like my custom labels. (I am not an alcoholic..)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top