Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2001 7:25:43 AM EDT
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20010814/capt.bush_xlm101.jpg[/img]

I wonder why?

Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:32:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:34:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Jarhead_22-
I can't begin to put into words the feeling I get watching President Bush as he salutes the Marine Honor Guard whenever they are present, compared to the disgust I felt when Klinton waved a salute at them. Do the words 'respect' & 'honor' come to mind? They do when I see Bush - but never did when it was Klinton in the pics.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:41:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
the Marines have resumed their custom of always turning to face the President, a traditional sign of respect, which had been unofficially rescinded during the Clinton administration.
View Quote

I love little jabs at Klinton like this, something I would not have known if not for the savvy people here.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:42:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm told that the Marines have resumed their custom of always turning to face the President, a traditional sign of respect, which had been unofficially rescinded during the Clinton administration.
Is this so?
View Quote

raf, from what I understand, with no hard evidence to show that it actually happened, that was a bit of an urban legend.

In the military, you salute the rank, not the man. I saluted officers that I knew had no heart or honor, but I did it because they were wearing bars or leaves, not because I necessarily respected the individual.

Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:45:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Flatlander: Sorry to disappoint, but thats just a rumor.  The Marines surrounding the VH60 or VH3 never turned to face Slick Willy because they were sentries guarding the aircraft, not an Honor Guard, the function these Marines are serving.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:45:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I found this article in another forum.

Although us Army guys talk alot of crap about Marines, I gotta give a big Hooah to you guys...well done/bravo-zulu. :)

----------------

Subject: FW: USMC Respect

CNN recently showed President Bush leaving HMX1(Marine Helicopter Squadron 1).

The Marine at the front step saluted, the President returned it & that was that. Or was it?

As the president walked away, the Marine executed a right face to stand facing the president's back, a tradition that (for those of us "in the loop") has been strangely missing for the previous 8 years.

The traditional Marine Corps mark of respect has now been rendered to the new president, a tradition, I might add, that dates back to the days of sail, when the Marine orderly to the ship's captain always faced him, to be ready to receive an order.

Who says that enlisted men can't hold back when they don't respect someone? For 8 years, they did. Our former draft-dodging president (Clinton) never had a clue.

The Marines did, & for 8 years, they let the whole world know how they really felt about him. Now, they've let us know how they really feel about President Bush...

Mark

Mark L. Evans
Historian
Naval Aviation History Branch
Washington Navy Yard
805 Kidder Breese Street, S.E.
Washington, DC 20374-5060
U.S.A.
(202) 433-2321
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:50:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Nitpicking here...  

The presidents salute is a little sloppy. [:P]

I've never been in the military but I know how to properly do a salute with and without a cover.

Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:52:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:52:36 AM EDT
[#9]
uhhhhh.. i dont think its a rumor.  According to the naval historian, the Marine guards did in fact salute Clinton, but didnt do the facing thing.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:54:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nitpicking here...  

The presidents salute is a little sloppy. [:P]

I've never been in the military but I know how to properly do a salute with and without a cover.
View Quote

Yeah, but don't forget flyboys like President Bush get used to saluting in fore-and-aft caps, and it looks like that's what he's doing. He just needs to straighten out the wrist and bring his elbow up a little.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:57:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:02:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I stand corrected.

Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:09:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:09:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Now if we could only get rid of that pea shooter the Marine is carring and replace it with a 1911.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:40:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:50:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 9:35:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Now if we could only get rid of that pea shooter the Marine is carring and replace it with a 1911.
View Quote

Ain't that the truth, brother. The SEALs went dumped the Beretta when a few of them nearly lost eyes over broken slide stops. It seems the M9 just can't hold up to the volume of rounds those guys put through theirs. They went to the Sig P229, still the 9mm.

Recon bubbas are going back to the 1911, though. They're having them built up by 2112s from bombproof components, and reportedly they're a huge success. FBI HRT and LAPD SWAT have also transitioned to the 1911.

Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Ooh Rah Jar!

Bulldog Out
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 4:19:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I agree. However, this one makes me warm and fuzzy inside. [:)]

[img]http://www.netsnapshot.com/users/1115/images/O3sPEcCoBQIAAFc3cn4_1115_17.pjpeg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top