Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2006 7:49:39 AM EDT

John Ringo is a former Airborne soldier who now writes fiction - mostly military sci-fi.  His newest book is called Kildar.

Its about a former SEAL who decides to leave it all behind and travel the world, living off of the millions of dollars he earned in a previous Ringo novel called Ghost.  On a whim he buys an old castle and the surrounding valley in Georgia (the eastern European country) when he is snowed in there for the winter.  Once he learns that Chechen rebels are using the valley he now owns as a supply route, he starts arming and equipping the locals as his own light infantry militia, to fight off the rebels.  

The book is basically about using nearly unlimited funds to form a private army, then kicking Islamofascist ass with it.  

I liked his first novel in this series, OK, but this one is starting out a lot better - I'm about 1/3 of the way through right now.  The cover art is cheesy and somewhat misleading, but the book is definitely worth reading.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:51:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Wait till you read Choosers of the Slain (3rd book in the Kildar series)

BTW: Into the Looking Glass is another great read.  The part where civis show up to bail out the national guard with heavier weapons is hillarious.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:51:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Johnny Ringo?

I'm your huckleberry.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:53:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm still waiting for him to revisit the fight against the Posleen.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:58:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Tagged for future book purchase!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:03:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Nice Avitar
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:04:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:06:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought Ghost was pretty good.. I'll have to check this out, thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:08:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

yup

the Ghost series (there is a 3rd book out now on a reader's advance copy) is quite good.

Any book that has the hero kill OBL in the first few chapters wins my thumbs up ;p

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:11:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I read "Princess of Wands" last week.  It has a Christian Soccer Mom/Psychic Channeler/Ninja for a heroine and has a big chunk of the book taking place at a Sci-Fi Book Con, complete with ex-military sci-fi fans and authors.  Sounds like a semi-auto-biographical novel if you are familiar with "Baen's Bar".  Ringo is definitely one of us and he is a prolific writer, to say the least.  In fact, most of the Baen stable of writers seem to be cut from the same cloth.

+1 on the bringing back the horses.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:16:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Tag for later.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:17:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Ordered from Amazon
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:18:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1 on the bringing back the horses.

www.sluggy.net/images/albums/userpics/15818/normal_bun-bun_posleen-938.jpg

Bun bun !!  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:37:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd like to read one where he figures out how to steal the Arab's oil out from under them, and uses the proceeds to further battle Islamofascists.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:40:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

BTW: Into the Looking Glass is another great read.  The part where civis show up to bail out the national guard with heavier weapons is hillarious.

I wish he would write a sequel to Into the Looking Glass.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:41:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I thought the last the two Posleen books written after 9/11 (When the Devil Dances and Hell's Faire) were not up to the standard of the first two.  I also purchased Cally's War and Hero, but lost interest in both.

Ghost was OK, but it seemed written by a sex-starved teenager, with a bunch of scenes pulled out of Penthouse Forum.

This one is finally getting back to what I like about Ringo.

ETA:  Yes, Into the Looking Glass was awesome.  I loved the part where the physicist is unloading an HK USP .45 into the aliens in the house as he reports over the cell phone back to Washington what is going on.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:46:44 AM EDT
[#16]
"The Road to Damascus" is a very good read too.  Describes what happens when the liberals take over...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:57:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:06:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I thought the last the two Posleen books written after 9/11 (When the Devil Dances and Hell's Faire) were not up to the standard of the first two.  I also purchased Cally's War and Hero, but lost interest in both.

Ghost was OK, but it seemed written by a sex-starved teenager, with a bunch of scenes pulled out of Penthouse Forum.

This one is finally getting back to what I like about Ringo.

ETA:  Yes, Into the Looking Glass was awesome.  I loved the part where the physicist is unloading an HK USP .45 into the aliens in the house as he reports over the cell phone back to Washington what is going on.

Thanks for the review.  I loved the main Posleen novels (just re-read them last week, in fact), but never got into Cally's War and Hero, so I decided to pass on Into the Looking Glass.

Sounds like I should defintely get it after all  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:49:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Into the Looking Glass is a totaly different universe.  Nothing to do with the Pols.

IIRC Ringo was talking about a sequel to Looking Glass.

There Will Be Dragons series is also a very interesting read.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:00:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
[
Thanks for the review.  I loved the main Posleen novels (just re-read them last week, in fact), but never got into Cally's War and Hero, so I decided to pass on Into the Looking Glass.

Sounds like I should defintely get it after all  

You should---it's not related to the Posleen at all.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I've read those, and thought they were good - although they were on the verge of getting a little goofy in the last book - but still good!

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:06:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Into the looking glass was awesome, I hope it is made into another series of books.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:06:16 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've read those, and thought they were good - although they were on the verge of getting a little goofy in the last book - but still good!

I thought it was damn funny seals as SEALS
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#24]
oh boy, more to add to the already-years-long reading list
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:12:29 AM EDT
[#25]
yep good series, good bit of kinky sex in the first book but hes doing alot less as the series goes on, He is currently up to 200k words on the fourth book.... he just posted a reallly good scene from it on Baens Bar
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Where in The Bar?  I just looked in Ringo's Tavern.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Who is this John Ringo character you speak of??
Long live the Bun Bun!!  Seriously, if you haven't read any of his work, you don't know what you're missing.  Just look at my avatar!!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:00:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Where in The Bar?  I just looked in Ringo's Tavern.

hmmm seems to have aged off, ill look around and see if i can find it
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I would too, but I read in an interview where he said he was sick of writing about them.  "Hero" for example take place a thousand years afterward.

I still need to pick up "Cally's War". "Road To Damascus" is my latest and was outstanding, though I've been told the political details put people off.   I'd like him to do more writing about Bolos.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Who is this John Ringo character you speak of??
Long live the Bun Bun!!  Seriously, if you haven't read any of his work, you don't know what you're missing.  Just look at my avatar!!!

Was wondering when you'd show up! lol
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:29:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I just ordered some of his works from Amazon.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#32]
tag for home
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:32:17 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
would too, but I read in an interview where he said he was sick of writing about them.  "Hero" for example take place a thousand years afterward.

I still need to pick up "Cally's War". "Road To Damascus" is my latest and was outstanding, though I've been told the political details put people off.   I'd like him to do more writing about Bolos.  

I dont want him to turn into Stevie King Jr churning out garbage. If he needs  a break, fine. I just would like him to revisit the franchise sometime with a new story or two.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:42:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Hero and Cally's war are co-authored by other people. And they don't really seem like Ringo.

I was disappointed with Hero being SO far in the future. It was an ok read but had a different feel than other Ringo only books. 1/2 way through Cally's War now. Same opinion. It seems worth getthing through, but not the page turner that his other books are, ones HE writes..

I really was hoping for more indepth stuff on the Darhel and the resistance..

Read the first book of Dragons.. Very good

Still have to pick up Ghost bt it is on my list.

Also because of Ringo I have gotten into Heinlan (sp?) and Kippling.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
would too, but I read in an interview where he said he was sick of writing about them.  "Hero" for example take place a thousand years afterward.

I dont want him to turn into Stevie King Jr churning out garbage. If he needs  a break, fine. I just would like him to revisit the franchise sometime with a new story or two.

well the next one in the kildar series, the 4th one is currently twice as long a kildar and he says its his best since Gust front.

Edit: i missed my 1k post lol
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:50:27 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Well the next one in the kildar series, the 4th one is currently twice as long a kildar and he says its his best since Gust front.

Edit: i missed my 1k post lol

I checked Amazon, and it looks like the 3rd one isn't even on sale until July?  Am I missing something here?  I JUST picked up Kildar about three days ago at Barnes and Noble, where it was on the New Fiction shelf.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:55:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Ringo's great reading, I have pretty much every book he's released - and he's freaking prolific, maybe a book every other month sometimes.

If you like Ringo, you should check out Michael Williamson's (who co-wrote w/ Ringo on Hero) Freehold series, also available from Baen.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
There were some pretty negative comments about "Cally's War" in the feedback section on amazon.com. Ringo posted a response. I got the impression that he was burned out on the Posleen stuff.

I read "Into the Looking Glass" and thought it was good. If you liked the Posleen books this is somewhat similar.

I surfed Amazon looking for a forum; do you have a link?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:34:08 PM EDT
[#40]

Speaking of prolific - when the hell is David Gerrold going to finish the next "War with the Chtorr" book

I really like that series (except when he tried to get too Heinleiny, and get obsessed with freaky sex - I just skip through that).  The vision of alien "invasion" is extremely clever, I thought - and I really like the way the story is developed.

How many years has it been since the last one in the series?   I hope he (or I) doesn't die of old age before it comes out.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Speaking of prolific - when the hell is David Gerrold going to finish the next "War with the Chtorr" book

I really like that series (except when he tried to get too Heinleiny, and get obsessed with freaky sex - I just skip through that).  The vision of alien "invasion" is extremely clever, I thought - and I really like the way the story is developed.

How many years has it been since the last one in the series?   I hope he (or I) doesn't die of old age before it comes out.

I believe Gerrold is waiting until the Chtorr really do invade before he finishes the series.
You aint' kidding about the freaky sex thing...that just about made me put the book down.  Don't know what the HELL he was thinking.  But then, he has done a lot of books since then with just as freaky stuff.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:12:33 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Tagged for future book purchase!

+1
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I believe Gerrold is waiting until the Chtorr really do invade before he finishes the series.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:23:45 PM EDT
[#44]
You can get the advance reader copy of the 3rd book of the Kildar, Chooser of the dead, on the webscriptions site that Baen has. It was 15.00 www.webscription.net/baen/default.asp
they also have the otehr books for $6.00 each downloadable in 3-4 formats.
It is how I have been buying my Sci-fi lately.
good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
You can get the advance reader copy of the 3rd book of the Kildar, Chooser of the dead, on the webscriptions site that Baen has. It was 15.00 www.webscription.net/baen/default.asp
they also have the otehr books for $6.00 each downloadable in 3-4 formats.
It is how I have been buying my Sci-fi lately.
good stuff.

yep Baen figured since ARCs go for 50$-100s on ebay theyll sell em online, i love it. It is basically the submitted manuscript unrpoofed
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:05:14 PM EDT
[#46]

Okay, I'll just wait for it to be published then.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:09:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#48]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top