Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2006 6:23:52 AM EDT
Currently, I have SSID broadcast disabled, 128-bit WEP, and MAC address filtering.

Am I cool or do I need to upgrade to a WPA-compatible router?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:33:42 AM EDT
[#1]
You're probably okay.  Has WEP been hacked?  Yes, but unless you've seriously pissed off somebody with ub3r-133t hax0r skills, you're good to go.

Edited to change WPA to WEP.  Sorry, I need more coffee.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:35:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I would do it, with TKIP, if range isn't an issue. The harder your target is, the more likely they will move onto another one.

Bob

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:38:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Currently, I have SSID broadcast disabled, 128-bit WEP, and MAC address filtering.

Am I cool or do I need to upgrade to a WPA-compatible router?

To make you feel not as good, ssid brocasting disable and mac address filtering are next to useless unless your only enemies are "noobs".
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:43:22 AM EDT
[#4]
some routers if not capable of WPA now.  all they need is a firmware update.

and yes i would appply the update and use WPA    5 radom keys is better than one static
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:44:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

It's a Linksys BEFW11S4 V.2. It doesn't support WPA, even with the BIOS update (it has the latest BIOS).

Hell, it doesn't even support 802.11g.

Time to upgrade?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:45:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes,  upgrade to WPA ASAP
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:28:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a Linksys BEFW11S4 V.2. It doesn't support WPA, even with the BIOS update (it has the latest BIOS).

Hell, it doesn't even support 802.11g.

Time to upgrade?

yes
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys. I knew I would have to spend more money.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Essentially, only someone who has time and a little skill can get onto your network.  If you don't want that possiblity then do upgrade to a WPA-enabled router.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:49:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Essentially, only someone who has time and a little skill can get onto your network.  If you don't want that possiblity then do upgrade to a WPA-enabled router.

True, and I made it a point in my previous post to say that WEP had been hacked.  My point was that with so many people running completely wide-open wireless networks, the measures that mattja has taken are probably sufficient to convince would-be lurkers to move on to an easier target.

I think a fair analogy would be a person who routinely locks his car.  Would it be harder to steal his car if he had a theft-prevention system installed?  Yes, but since most of the people on his block leave their cars unlocked with the keys on the front seat, his car is probably secure enough.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:52:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah I'm not arguing with you, just summarizing.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I think you are ok with just WEP enabled.  Can it be broken?  Yes.  Will someone take the time to hack into it when he can just drive down the street and access the five or so unsecured networks he would be able to find?  Probably not.

I would upgrade though to go from B rate to G rate however.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top