Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 4:42:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:44:54 AM EDT
[#1]
The Final Attack

"That was the moment for the men to set to work. All quickly unsheathed their daggers and rushed at him. First Servilius Casca struck him with the point of the blade on the left shoulder a little above the collar-bone. He had been aiming for that, but in the excitement he missed. Caesar rose to defend himself, and in the uproar Casca shouted out in Greek to his brother. The latter heard him and drove his sword into the ribs. After a moment, Cassius made a slash at his face, and Decimus Brutus pierced him in the side. While Cassius Longinus was trying to give him another blow he missed and struck Marcus Brutus on the hand. Minucius also hit out at Caesar and hit Rubrius in the thigh. They were just like men doing battle against him.
"Under the mass of wounds, he fell at the foot of Pompey's statue. Everyone wanted to seem to have had some part in the murder, and there was not one of them who failed to strike his body as it lay there, until, wounded twenty-three times, he breathed his last."
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:49:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Impress your friends.

Arrive at your customary hangout today and announce gravely

Cave Ides Martem!

Pronounced "kaw-way ee-days mahr-tem"
(Beware the Ides of March)
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:49:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Plus yesterday was Steak and a Blowjob day!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:52:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Shit!! I forgot all about steak & blowjob day
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:54:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I still want to know what the hell an ide is
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:58:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Google is my friend..... So Shakespeare could have said beware the ides of July (or any other month) but this quote has come down through the centuries so everyone remembers March.  Oh, the advantagtes of a liberal arts education...

___

The term Ides comes from the earliest Roman calendar, which is said to have been devised by Romulus, the mythical founder of Rome. Whether it was Romulus or not, the inventor of this calendar had a penchant for complexity. The Roman calendar organized its months around three days, each of which served as a reference point for counting the other days:

* Kalends (1st day of the month)
   * Nones (the 7th day in March, May, July, and October; the 5th in the other months)
   * Ides (the 15th day in March, May, July, and October; the 13th in the other months)

The remaining, unnamed days of the month were identified by counting backwards from the Kalends, Nones, or the Ides. For example, March 3 would be V Nones—5 days before the Nones (the Roman method of counting days was inclusive; in other words, the Nones would be counted as one of the 5 days).
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:04:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

IT WAS!?

Hell, I got the steak anyhow. Maybe I shouldn't have kicked her butt at Trivial Pursuit.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:12:28 PM EDT
[#8]
bump for the illiterati.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Alia Iacta Est.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#10]
When does HBO's Rome start up again?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top