Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 9:53:52 PM EDT

3/2/2006 - LACKLAND AIR FORCE BASE, Texas  -- Maj. Bryan Adrian, a student with the 342nd Training Squadron, died during training here Feb. 15. He was transported to Wilford Hall Medical Center where he was pronounced dead at 1:55 p.m.

Major Adrian, a 41-year-old from Anchorage, Alaska, was taking part in water confidence training as part of the Combat Rescue Officers Course. He was assigned to the 176th Wing, Alaska Air National Guard.

Air Force officials are investigating the incident.

Anybody ever been through "drown-proofing" or water confidence training?  A 41 year old trying the CRO course, more power to him, but obviously not the best idea.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:30:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:56:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn,  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:20:18 AM EDT
[#3]
RIP
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:05:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

3/2/2006 - LACKLAND AIR FORCE BASE, Texas  -- Maj. Bryan Adrian, a student with the 342nd Training Squadron, died during training here Feb. 15. He was transported to Wilford Hall Medical Center where he was pronounced dead at 1:55 p.m.

Major Adrian, a 41-year-old from Anchorage, Alaska, was taking part in water confidence training as part of the Combat Rescue Officers Course. He was assigned to the 176th Wing, Alaska Air National Guard.

Anybody ever been through "drown-proofing" or water confidence training?  A 41 year old trying the CRO course, more power to him, but obviously not the best idea.

I'm not familiar with this.  Could you give me the Cliff notes version?

Kent
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:07:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Damn.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:16:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not familiar with this.  Could you give me the Cliff notes version?

Kent

they basically drown you so that if you are ever in that situation you don't panic

and yes, I have been through it and I think it serves more as a tradition than any actual benefit.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:20:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Somebody is going to be in big trouble over this incident.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:31:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Hmmm...

High stress?  Forty-one years old?   I'm thinking "coronary."
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:00:13 AM EDT
[#9]
 I did drown proofing when I was 19 and ahain at 20. I would recomend that a 40 + year old be in excellent health.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:48:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm going out on a limb here to point out that if the man was in the CRO pipeline, he was probably in better than excellent shape and had been more thoroughly screened than most Air Force personnel.  That said, bad shit happens sometimes and things slip through.  Also, if he was not properly screened, that's even more of a shame.

RIP Major Adrian.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:50:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm going out on a limb here to point out that if the man was in the CRO pipeline, he was probably in better than excellent shape and had been more thoroughly screened than most Air Force personnel.  That said, bad shit happens sometimes and things slip through.  Also, if he was not properly screened, that's even more of a shame.

RIP Major Adrian.

Jim Fixx was in excellent shape, and he still died of a heart attack.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:53:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Wow, that sucks.  I've had a few friends go through it for pararescue.  A badge of honor to be sure, but often times you do apparently drown just to be brought back to life.  And yes, they recounted that the purpose was to ready them for a situation where they could drown but wouldn't panic.  From what I hear it's relatively safe, it's not often that you hear of someone actually dying from the experience.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:55:46 AM EDT
[#13]
i've done cwst and water confidence courses but whats this drown proofing stuff?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:55:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Is CRO = PJ?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:02:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Is CRO = PJ?

I think that's what they call the Pararescue guys that are ossifers.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:02:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

RIP Major Adrian.

Jim Fixx was in excellent shape, and he still died of a heart attack.

Arguably he was not.  Just because someone runs a lot, does not mean they are in excellent overall physical shape.  While Jim Fixx tallied up amazingly mileages, jogging, he had massively high cholestral levels, had previously lead an excessive lifestyle prior to taking up running, and had a family history of coronoary trouble.  

But, your point is made.  This is why I said above that things slip through.

ETA:  Whatever the cause, preventable or not, it's a damn shame that Major Adrian died.  But, at least he was doing what he thought was the right thing and it was in the service of his country.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:04:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is CRO = PJ?

Up until recently Pararescue was 100% enlisted.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is CRO = PJ?

Up until recently Pararescue was 100% enlisted.

Yes.  I actually met an Lt who was a PJ CMSgt (they were operating out of Patrick AFB, FL).  Leadership apparently talked him into getting a commission and being one of the first PJ officers..  I was under the impression that he wasn't very pleased about having to commission, but didn't want some other Lt to come in and screw up their operation.  I was unaware that they were bringing in O-4s thought.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:10:37 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
i've done cwst and water confidence courses but whats this drown proofing stuff?

Well, it could be where they tie your arms behind your back and you bobb up and down for a time in water over your head or it could be just treading  water vertically followed by the face down in the water till you regain control of your breathing.  The latter is what I did down in P'Cola and Jax..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top