Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2006 9:43:09 PM EDT
Pretty damn good book....Interesting view of the USMC in the future...this is book two of a triology.
First one was a good read also. Author does a nice job of being technical without getting too bogged down in techno-babble.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:45:19 PM EDT
[#1]
What the F*Ck is that thing on the cover?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:49:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Working on my second run through the Dune series, so I can't claim non-geekdom...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:49:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What the F*Ck is that thing on the cover?

.It's the Alien race The USMC battles. It does look gay, but the book is really good. I agree that the artwork is horrible. Most Sci-fi books have terrible artwork on the cover...I wonder why?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#4]
That thing looks like the kind of thing that you'd wake up in the middle of the night, and it's standing there drinking coffee or something, so you go back to sleep...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:14:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll look that one up.

For other Mil/Sci-fi readers, I'd suggest the Area 51 series by Robert Doherty.  The first 6 books are probably the best Sci-Fi series I've ever read.  He incorperates a lot of history into the books, and they get pretty intense.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:18:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I always liked the Doom series.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#7]
David Weber.  The Honor Harrington series among others.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:51:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Cole...

I was looking for a new book to read, something in Sci-FI/Horror genres.

I'll have to go by my favorite bookstore and see if they can get me these.

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:51:54 PM EDT
[#9]
An interesting read that is actually sort of a "demilitarized", unified Earth meets ETs book is the "Giants" series by James P. Hogan.   Everything is the exact opposite of the "military VS space critters" fare.  The most interesting thing about the book is how it seems all "pro U.N." and such until you get to the third book when things suddenly aren't what they seem anymore.  A very interesting take on "conspiritorial" history and the manipulation of human society.  All of the books are also great mystery/detective stories at the same time.  Very hard sci fi and very unconventional.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:14:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I haven't read any of these but they look promising.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:25:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Just finished the posleen series by John Ringo very very good

David drake, Eric Flint, David Weber, John RIngo.....my four favorite authors....
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:27:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

David drake, Eric Flint, David Weber, John RIngo.....my four favorite authors....

Then I suggest you try S.M. Stirling.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:30:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Dear god, it only took three years to write! I thought Ian Douglas had died or something!

By the way, everyone on ARFCOM should read the Heritage Trilogy of his, some of the best Sci-Fi ever and a very accurate look at the future.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:34:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Most Sci-fi books have terrible artwork on the cover...I wonder why?

It looks like a throwback to 50s style cover art. It doesn't look bad, just typical of the  genre. Guess it depends on your taste in art.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:35:03 AM EDT
[#15]
ATTACK of the DU Trolls!!!  <--  Now that would be a Horror Flick title...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:54:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Most Sci-fi books have terrible artwork on the cover...I wonder why?

It looks like a throwback to 50s style cover art. It doesn't look bad, just typical of the  genre. Guess it depends on your taste in art.

I used to bey the Conan books for their "art"work
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:56:43 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
[I used to bey the Conan books for their "art"work

I used to read those in HS, myself.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:01:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Wow.  I just finished Star Corps last night and was going to look for a sequel today.  Very reminiscient of Starship Troopers.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:03:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Dear god, it only took three years to write! I thought Ian Douglas had died or something!

By the way, everyone on ARFCOM should read the Heritage Trilogy of his, some of the best Sci-Fi ever and a very accurate look at the future.

That's too funny, he did take forever to get the second book cranked out. I do believe Ian Douglas is just another pen name for William H. Keith, who also does other sci-fi...he did 3 books on the Bolo series a while back, among others.  That's why it took so long, too many irons in the fire.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:05:26 AM EDT
[#20]
I recommend The Black Library's Warhammer 40K books.  For military Sci-Fi you'd be hard pressed to find a better series than Dan Abnetts "Gaunts Ghosts".
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:11:56 AM EDT
[#21]

w00t!   all really good

And....here's a place to whet your appetite   www.baen.com  and drill down to the "Free Library"

This site is a "loss leader" where successful authors who agree , post some of their works as free downloads....figuring you'll make up the difference by buying their other books.  Worked with me.

My favorites out there are the Belasaurius series, 1632 and 1633,  ....well actually just about every single one I've sampled.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:15:26 AM EDT
[#22]

Michael Z Williamson, a Baen author (Freehold and The Weapon) is a poster on survivalblog.com. His wife just got back from a tour in Iraq as well.

He is the next big thing, IMHO.  Great books so far.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:18:54 AM EDT
[#23]
John Ringo has some of the best MIL/Sci-Fi, that ive ever read.

the baen free library has i think 2 of his books now or is it 3. very good books. read them and see if ya like em :)
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:19:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Michael Z Williamson is  a great author.   I use the webscription service quite a bit, it lets me take books with me on my laptop when I travel and cuts down on space.

tagging for the other suggestions

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:25:23 AM EDT
[#25]
I'll echo the recommendation above for the Honor Harrington series, still going strong after 12 or so books.

If you haven't read Armor by John Steakley, it's a must.  It has a much better take on the psychology of going to war than most other books and is a pretty good complement to Starship Troopers (the book, please!).

Last, for a more primitive military fiction (with touches of Fantasy Magic) try the Black Company books (there are 10 in the series) from Glen Cook.  Most excellent.  His Garrett, P.I. books are also nice, not military, more fantasy humour but good nonetheless.

Futuristic
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:28:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:33:21 AM EDT
[#27]

Yeah - the art is a little lame.  He should switch publishers (like to Baen).
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:54:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Another vote for the Honor Harrington series. Also the BOLO series of stories and books are fun reads. Who doesn't like sentient war machines?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:01:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Anything by Rick Shelley is good.
13th Spaceborne series is very good.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:04:55 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Yeah - the art is a little lame.  He should switch publishers (like to Baen).

The publisher is Eos.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Another vote for the Honor Harrington series. Also the BOLO series of stories and books are fun reads. Who doesn't like sentient war machines?

Just an FYI, Weber has written 2 books recently on the BOLO tanks. Damn good.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:14:18 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

w00t!   all really good

And....here's a place to whet your appetite   www.baen.com  and drill down to the "Free Library"

This site is a "loss leader" where successful authors who agree , post some of their works as free downloads....figuring you'll make up the difference by buying their other books.  Worked with me.

My favorites out there are the Belasaurius series, 1632 and 1633,  ....well actually just about every single one I've sampled.

yep... and since they saw that ARCs were going on ebay for 100s, they have started selling the unproofed manuscripts online months before publication
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:18:36 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Michael Z Williamson, a Baen author (Freehold and The Weapon) is a poster on survivalblog.com. His wife just got back from a tour in Iraq as well.

He is the next big thing, IMHO.  Great books so far.

yep he is a member here i believe...

and has a bunch of great essays at KeepandbearArms
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top