Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/14/2006 8:42:31 PM EDT
Just fishined watching the first  Star Trek movie tonight.  I haven't seen this one for probably 16 years.  
Of course as a reminder this is the movie where an alien named V ger  of great power is heading toward Earth.   Turns out that V ger is actually  the NASA Voyager 6 probe.  At the end of the movie a human named Captain Decker merges with the machine Voyager.  The crew of the Enterprise consier this the birth of a new life form.    
My question is,   Is this the beginning of what has become known as the Borg?

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:44:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I have read many theories on that.  The consensus (at least as I remember it) is that Voyager did indeed make it to a Borg-like galaxy.  Mostly likely through a black hole.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Is this the beginning of what has become known as the Borg?

Yes

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#3]
The bald girl aboard the Enterprise that was used to make the probe in her likeness, perhaps becomes the Borg queen?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Turns out that V ger is actually  the NASA Voyager 6 probe.  At the end of the movie a human named Captain Decker merges with the machine Voyager.  The crew of the Enterprise consier this the birth of a new life form.    

Dude!!!  Spoiler warning please!!!
j/k
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:56:16 PM EDT
[#6]
you guys have WAY too much free time to think this shit up
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Turns out that V ger is actually  the NASA Voyager 6 probe.  At the end of the movie a human named Captain Decker merges with the machine Voyager.  The crew of the Enterprise consier this the birth of a new life form.    

Dude!!!  Spoiler warning please!!!
j/k

Something like

Spoiler inside for 27 year old movie you should have already seen or never will.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Ah the finest example of an exception to the "Sequels are never as good as the original" rule.

Honestly, that movie was dull as hell.

I have a book with a great review detailing why it's so boring.  It goes like this:  Paramount wants to make a movie like Star Wars so they can make a bunch of cash too.  They owned the rights to Star Trek.  They wanted to make the most money possible so they wanted everyone to be able to see it.  The movie was written toward getting a "G" rating so even the kids could go see it.  Then they realized that a "G" rating means "boring" and asked the MPAA to give it a "PG" so adults would want to see it.  Problem is, they were already done filming.  Bang!  "G" movie with a "PG" rating.

Orinally in the script, when V'Ger went away, the three Klingon ships were supposed to be freed along with the Enterprise.  The enterprise was then supposed to defend Earth from them and nearly get destroyed in the process.  Would have dovetailed perfectly into the opening of Wrath of Khan where the Enterprise is once again in spacedock.  This idea was scrapped for being too costly.  Some decent action probably would have saved the movie.  Oh well, they did figure that out later...

BTW:  Best ST movies ever:
Pure Action:  Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Best overall:  Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

Worst Ever:  Star Trek V:  The Final Frontier.

ETA:  I was a nerd, but I got better...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:11:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I've never thought about the borg connection.  Post that on some trekkie website and watch them go apeshit.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've never thought about the borg connection.  Post that on some trekkie website and watch them go apeshit.

And then tell them the Enterprise (doesn't matter which one) would be no match for an Imperial Star Destroyer.

Then, go off on how the people of Star Trek are a bunch of commies (no money, working to better humanity, all problems solved utopia shit).
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And then tell them the Enterprise (doesn't matter which one) would be no match for an Imperial Star Destroyer.

Then, go off on how the people of Star Trek are a bunch of commies (no money, working to better humanity, all problems solved utopia shit).

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#12]
As a recovering Trekkie, this shit is funny!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:36:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I doubt there is a connection.  First of all, the Borg didn't even know of humans until Q transported the Enterprise far beyond its borders.  Second, I doubt Q would have been able to resist tormenting Picard about humanity creating the Borg if that were true.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I doubt there is a connection.  First of all, the Borg didn't even know of humans until Q transported the Enterprise far beyond its borders.  Second, I doubt Q would have been able to resist tormenting Picard about humanity creating the Borg if that were true.

+1

There would have been mention of it in Voyager (the series, not the probe).

Plus, in Star Trek: First Contact the queen admits to Data that they used to be just like humans, and they gradually learned to include technology to perfect themselves.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:41:36 PM EDT
[#15]
What the hell was Q anyways? ......  God

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:42:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Omnipotent Being, one of many.  Not god.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And annoying.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:48:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And annoying.

The first time he showed up in the series, yes.  But in voyager, and the follow-on encounters with Picard, I thought he was pretty funny.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I forgot about the Voyager series.   That was the one with the chick captain.  Janeway or something?

If I was stuck out in space, I'd be bangin that like a retard on a drum set!

Edited, cause I was too retarded to spell drum  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:03:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Just fishined watching the first  Star Trek movie tonight.  I haven't seen this one for probably 16 years.  
Of course as a reminder this is the movie where an alien named V ger  of great power is heading toward Earth.   Turns out that V ger is actually  the NASA Voyager 6 probe.  At the end of the movie a human named Captain Decker merges with the machine Voyager.  The crew of the Enterprise consier this the birth of a new life form.    
My question is,   Is this the beginning of what has become known as the Borg?

That's a pretty good idea, however I remember reading in one of those "offical Star Trek manual" book thinigies that the Borg have been in existence for thousands of years by the time we encountered them in ST:TNG.

Boy do I feel like a nerd. Oh, wait, I am one.

Quoted:
The first time he showed up in the series, yes.  But in voyager, and the follow-on encounters with Picard, I thought he was pretty funny.

+1

John DeLance was a really good actor later on in the TNG series.

BTW, I never really watched Voyager. Did Q actually make appearances there, too? Was he too much of a jerk to just "whoosh" them back home?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I forgot about the Voyager series.   That was the one with the chick captain.  Janeway or something?

If I was stuck out in space, I'd be bangin that like a retard on a drumb set!

I would be hitting 7 of 9 like a retard on a drum set.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:06:44 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I was stuck out in space, I'd be bangin that like a retard on a drumb set!

I would be hitting 7 of 9 like a retard on a drum set.

7 of 9 never really did anything for me.   That klingon chick looked better to me.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:15:58 PM EDT
[#23]
NuclearFission?  Gee..  What do you do for a living?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:16:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Hell I liked Q he was more powerful and did not care for political correctness.

I always wanted to see the borg try to assimilate him or see him from the borg perspective.        
Man I need a life.    
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:20:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
NuclearFission?  Gee..  What do you do for a living?

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:24:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I'm sure they do have some sort of monetary system.  Maybe they just don't use paper or coin anymore.  Remember in STVI, Scotty says, "That suits me, I just bought a boat."  So there is the ability to purchase luxeries and similar.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
The first time he showed up in the series, yes. But in voyager, and the follow-on encounters with Picard, I thought he was pretty funny.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+1

BTW, I never really watched Voyager. Did Q actually make appearances there, too? Was he too much of a jerk to just "whoosh" them back home?

He showed up a few times , tried to have a baby with cap janeway.

he would not flick voyager back because they had "things to do"

PLEASE stop this thread, I am not a nerd

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:30:21 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Quoted:
The first time he showed up in the series, yes. But in voyager, and the follow-on encounters with Picard, I thought he was pretty funny.

+1

He showed up a few times , tried to have a baby with cap janeway.

he would not flick voyager back because they had "things to do"
PLEASE stop this thread, I am not a nerd

Apparently not, you do not know how to quote properly.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:35:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Nah the borge cube would have been WAY BIGGER! Anyway Vgers mission was to learn not to asimalate(spelling).
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:32:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Everyone knows that there is an evolutionary scale for the Borg. The first step is amongst us now. It is not and will not be "v-ger." It is of course quite visible on PBS most weekdays. These dangerous life forms are amongst us now convincing our children that they are fun loving and harmless creatures. We now know better.

Beware the first evolutionary step toward the Borg. A blending of living matter with technology.
Teletubbies!

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:53:48 AM EDT
[#31]
OT: The Inidan womanPersis Khambatta that played  that played  Lieutenant Ilia died of a heart attack in 1998.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:30:27 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Everyone knows that there is an evolutionary scale for the Borg. The first step is amongst us now. It is not and will not be "v-ger." It is of course quite visible on PBS most weekdays. These dangerous life forms are amongst us now convincing our children that they are fun loving and harmless creatures. We now know better.

Beware the first evolutionary step toward the Borg. A blending of living matter with technology.
Teletubbies!

Is the yellow one getting a hummer
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:46:50 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sure they do have some sort of monetary system.  Maybe they just don't use paper or coin anymore.  Remember in STVI, Scotty says, "That suits me, I just bought a boat."  So there is the ability to purchase luxeries and similar.

I think the writers moved away from the no-money thing mainly because it wasn't practical.  They still trade with outside races, and working on a barter-only system is rather primitive.  Once Deep Space Nine started, they gave up on it altogether.  Now it seems everyone uses gold-pressed latinum, which apparantly can't be replicated and is valuable for some reason.  It was mostly used by non-Federation races like the Ferengi, but you'd hear about Starfleet officers using it occasionally, mainly Dax and her gambling debts.  I know a better way she could pay them off.  

There was mention of 'Federation Credits' once by Quark that I recall, but he was scornful of them and said they were only good for buying other Federation Credits.  So they have some form of money, just no one else wants it, and they don't really need it for much of anything as long as they stay in the core areas of the Federation.  People on the fringes need some kind of currency for trading with outsiders.

I think that's it in a nutshell.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:53:18 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Teletubbies!

pbskids.org/teletubbies/parentsteachers/images/video.jpg

Dude, that is just plain messed up.  

It's amazing the things I see on Arfcom.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:57:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:00:09 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Teletubbies!

I never noticed. I just grabbeb the pic of the website.

Hmmm.... always wondered why they needed a giant shop vac.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:02:15 AM EDT
[#37]
No, doubt it, since the Borg were unaware of earth humans until Q  threw the Enterprise to the other side of the universe.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:53:49 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the writers moved away from the no-money thing mainly because it wasn't practical.  They still trade with outside races, and working on a barter-only system is rather primitive.  Once Deep Space Nine started, they gave up on it altogether.  Now it seems everyone uses gold-pressed latinum, which apparantly can't be replicated and is valuable for some reason.  It was mostly used by non-Federation races like the Ferengi, but you'd hear about Starfleet officers using it occasionally, mainly Dax and her gambling debts.  I know a better way she could pay them off.  

There was mention of 'Federation Credits' once by Quark that I recall, but he was scornful of them and said they were only good for buying other Federation Credits.  So they have some form of money, just no one else wants it, and they don't really need it for much of anything as long as they stay in the core areas of the Federation.  People on the fringes need some kind of currency for trading with outsiders.

I think that's it in a nutshell.

Federation credits appear to be some sort of rationing system, if that, which is only good among others in the federation, maybe even just the military.  There was one episode where Jake kept trying to borrow money from Nog, and Nog kept making fun of humans for getting rid of money.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:18:57 AM EDT
[#39]
The Borg have been around a while. In First Contact, the Borg were trying to contact their 21st century counterparts by  modifying the Enterprises defelector dish.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:25:06 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

He was the reason I quit watching Star Trek altogether.  Ridiculous bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:25:12 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And annoying.

I LOVED Q!
<------runs outta the geek thread
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:35:42 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I LOVED Q!

OMG!?!  Was there a g-g-g-girl in here?  A real live one?  Should we say something to her?

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:37:38 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He was the reason I quit watching Star Trek altogether.  Ridiculous bullshit.

I suppose you object to Stargates Ascended Beings for the same reason? Its fiction.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:42:12 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I LOVED Q!

OMG!?!  Was there a g-g-g-girl in here?  A real live one?  Should we say something to her?

I'm a geek. Well, I married one and was assimilated.
I love Next Gen (have the entire series on DVD) Been to a convention or four, and have every ST ornament issued by Hallmark.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:00:52 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never noticed. I just grabbeb the pic of the website.
Hmmm.... always wondered why they needed a giant shop vac.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:05:11 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

PromptCritical --> <-- Trekkies

Days worth of entertainment.....
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:17:50 AM EDT
[#47]
I remember my parents taking me to see it. How cruel was it to have them show the trailer for "Empire Strikes Back" and then have to sit through a boring movie.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:56:22 AM EDT
[#48]
I thought John Delancey was hilarious as Q.  My favorite quote: " Hi Worf.  Eat any good books lately?"  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:12:21 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Teletubbies!

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:16:38 AM EDT
[#50]
no, the borg are much older...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top