Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 7:14:04 PM EDT
Got a few short rounds that I forgot to throw away at the range..Whats the best way to dispose of them safely?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Just throw them in the fireplace.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Ok... Ill come over to your place and pitch 'em in.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:20:55 PM EDT
[#3]
You could pull the bullet, pour out the powder, and deactivate the primers with a little oil in the case. The powder can be poured out in a thin line and ignited. But wear safety glasses, gloves, and some protective clothing through the entire process. And don’t actually hold the round when pulling the bullet. Secure it in a vice and keep your hands clear at all times.

There’s very little chance it will go off, but why risk an eye or a hand?

Or.

You could just put them in a mason jar somewhere and stick it in a closet. When the jar gets full just toss it in a lake or something.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:22:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All they do is pop.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All they do is pop.

Exactly
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#6]
You could do what he said above or else drop by the local police station and say you want it safely disposed of and they should take care of it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Got a few short rounds that I forgot to throw away at the range..Whats the best way to dispose of them safely?

Place a quarter pound stick of C-4 on top of each round and blow them in place.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:26:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like the way C-4 talks about using C-4.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Sell them at the next local gun show.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now THAT sounds fun.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You could pull the bullet, pour out the powder, and deactivate the primers with a little oil in the case. The powder can be poured out in a thin line and ignited. But wear safety glasses, gloves, and some protective clothing through the entire process. And don’t actually hold the round when pulling the bullet. Secure it in a vice and keep your hands clear at all times.

I pulled some WWII 8mm Mauser rounds that failed fired from a buddy's G98 mauser.  First, if you are going to use a kinetic hammer, you need to break the neck seal, a black tar-like substance, by using a loading press by pushing it down a tad. After that you use the kinetic hammer to pull the bullets.  The poured the powder into container and lit it with a match, and it burned very slowly with a blue flame for about 30 seconds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top