Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 2:13:33 PM EDT
I'll be cutting about an acre of grass.

Any suggestions?

Any info will be helpful.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:15:53 PM EDT
[#1]
consumer reports liked the john deere models.

some are available at home depot.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Used commercial walk-behind. Cheaper, faster, better for you, lasts forever.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:09:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm looking this spring as well, John Deere was my choice last year, but I'm reconsidering now. Right now Lowes and Home Depot carry similar stuff, Lowes added Deere to their lineup this year, and HD added Cub Cadet. Feature for feature, the Cub Cadets are a better mower for the money than comparable Deere's.  All the John Deere models that Home Depot stocks have a Briggs engine, they are no longer carrying any models with a Kohler. While the Briggs have proven reliable, I have never heard a bad thing about a Kohler lawnmower powerplant. Cub Cadet's have Kohler powerplants, and larger cutting decks for same price compared to John Deere. Cub Cadet seems like a pretty good choice, as I have always heard good things about their quality, until this last couple of months a few friends have stated they had problems with their Cub Cadets from years ago. So then I started looking at the new Toro's that HD is carrying, which maybe the way I go. Only issue I have is that they are stated as having an "Automatic" transmission, where everyone else used a "hydrostatic", I don't know what kind of difference that makes.......
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I looked at the Deere's but just couldn't quite afford one, even looked at some nice used one's. Ended up with a Troy from Lowes, 18.5 briggs w/ hydrostatic trans. Been using it two years and still like it. Harder you push the pedal the faster it goes let off it stops. First thing I did was unhooked the safety so I could mow in reverse . I ain't been easy on this machine but don't outright abuse it either. Pretty tight turning for a rider.

Good luck
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#5]

I like zero turns myself, even for smaller lots.  Soo much faster.  I'm sure you have better things to do with your time than mow.

The Kubota above is of course overkill, but Toro has some nice homeowner models and check out Exmark.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:38:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I am shopping for an acre as well.

I think the difference between the Cub and the JD has less to do with the engine and more to do with JD having a heavier duty frame, axles etc.

I went to my local JD dealer and their prices are equal to Lowe's and Home Depot.

In short, for $200-$300 more you can get a better mower from JD, and buy it from a local dealer (with a service dept) rather than a big chain......

My .02
jj
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Nothing run's like a DEERE I've got a L110 mow just over 1/2 acre does a great job. Beware though if you buy a DEERE from Home Depot there is NO dealer that will honor the warranty. No kidding I bought mine from a dealer and just about the same price......
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:24:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks ya'll.

Looks like a JD from a dealer with a service dept.

Any other info is welcome.

Again Thanks

Dang I'd rather buy a new upper instead.......oh wait I'll just get both
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:25:30 PM EDT
[#9]
SCAG
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Have any of you looked at a Snapper rear engine?
They don't sell to the chain stores because they won't cheapen the mower. They make a good rider mower for a fair price. It's not a tractor style but a very good simple rider.
I had one that I brought rebuilt from a snapper dealer and it lasted for 4 years untill I moved, and it was still running well when I sold it. The guy who bought it was very happy to get it for the price I sold it at with all the records.
For a one acre lot a rider will do the mowing just fine unless it is very hilly. Now if you want to attach tillers or other such attachments a tractor style is better.
Oh for what it is worth you don't equal the JD's at Home Depot with the ones at a JD dealer. The Home Depot Model has been cheapened to meet the mass market. Same for the Cub Cadet at Lowes. Get the Lit. from both and go to the respctive dealer and compare. They are not the same except the name.
I will give you the example of the JD "Gator" sold at Home depot. It is a different model and parts do not mix, at H.D. it is the C.S. model or consumer spec.
The lawn equipment is the same, a consumer model and a commerical model. They are not even made in the same factories, and if mememory serves me right the H.D. model is made by the same factory that makes the Wally World lawn mower. It is the same company.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Where can I find a snapper?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#12]
After spending 3 years fighting with my POS Craftsman riding mower, I asked the guys at the local independant mower parts/repair center which brand they sold the least amount of parts for, they all said the same thing, Snapper.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The Kubota above is of course overkill, but Toro has some nice homeowner models and check out Exmark.

I've tested both Kubota and Toro, and I'll say that Kubota beats Toro on everything except price.  If you hit a fence or a tree with the Kubota it will survice with only paint damages, while the Toro would look like it has been hit by a train.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Goggle Snapper mowers
BTW there was a thread here about the CEO of Snapper telling Wal-Mart to suck eggs when they asked him to make the mower cheaper to fit their price point. that would have ment lowering the quality.
TN. should not be a problem as I have seen them all over the mid west
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:23:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I googled for you I will try the link

linky
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:33:58 PM EDT
[#16]
John Deere's are awesome. You'll learn so much about mower repair owning one, you'll be a mower expert by the time you trade it in for a working model.

Seriously, their mowers suck. My father in law kept buying them, and not one of the 4 he bought was ever reliable. I bought my mom a Cub Cadet 10 years ago, and it's still running like it was new.

You do the math.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
SCAG

I love my SCAG.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:00:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Get a Skag.............nothing else can compare.
        Peace,
             Dragonfire52
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Get a Kubota diesel in whatever size you think you need.

I have one at the ranch that is 17 years old and runs a 48" deck.  The only problems have been some belt replacement, worn out spindle on a blade, and flat tires.  Just the usual wear and tear.  The hydro drive will save you time and headache.

Oh, and my dad thinks he can use it as a shredder, so it tackles some very heavy grass/light brush with no problem.

We use it to mow 3 acres every week and another 6 acres four times a year.  Never a problem with the engine.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:17:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a Dixie Chopper myself.  Several of my friends bought Hustler.  From what I can tell the Hustler looks like it will do a fine job for the homeowner and should last forever.  You should really look at the zero turns from a time savings factor.  I only need to trim my yard about every other mowing.  The ability to get close and stay close is where it's at.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top