Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2001 3:12:27 AM EDT
Guys,

I got an invite from some friends to do some black bear hunting this fall in the Adirondacks but other than my AR all I have is a .243 Ruger.  Also since I’m a poor starving student saving up for the 2002 LEGP I need a rifle cheap.

So I was in my local pawnshop poking around and found a .30-06 Springfield but I can’t trust the pawnshop owner so I wanted some opinions.  It is actually stamped Springfield armory model 1903, and the serial is 375727.  It looks to be in very good condition but has a cheap aftermarket Monte Carlo style stock.  

Any idea what this gun is all about?  Did / does Springfield make 1903s for sale to hunters and are they any good?  The pawnshop guy knows nothing about the gun, just the price, he’s asking $250, but I’m sure I could get it for much less.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 3:46:21 AM EDT
[#1]
The model of 1903 was accepted by the US Military as our service rifle in ..1903.  It was subsequently rechambered for a new .30 cal cartridge in 1906.  This cartridge came to be known in the civie world as the 30-06.  This was our primary rifle in WW1 and continued to be issued during WWII due to lagging production of the M1 Garand.  Its based on the Mauser 98.  Great rifle, was considered THE target rifle of its day in the US.  If its been sporterized which is very common unfortunately, its lost some of its value.  250 might be towards the high end unless its in fantastic shape.  Have you considered a used savage 110?

I'm at work so i don't have all my links but you might try the www.gunandknife.com forums for more info.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 3:59:43 AM EDT
[#2]
You want cheap?  Find a Mosin Nagant M44.   You can get a pretty nice one for under 50 dollars.

Link Posted: 8/15/2001 4:40:37 AM EDT
[#3]
This is a low number receiver to be avoided.  Springfield 1903 receivers below the 800,000 range (I can't remember the exact cutoff number.) had problems with the heat treatment and some receivers had failures.  The severity of problem is subject to debate, but it is recommended that rifles with receivers in this serial number range NOT be fired.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 5:31:07 AM EDT
[#4]
What EOD said.  I would consider a low number 03 to be a wall hanger.  If I were feeling brave and stupid, I might shoot it with milsurp '06.  I would *never* shoot it with commercial hunting ammo.

This is an 03 and not an 03A3, right?
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 6:15:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:49:03 AM EDT
[#6]
03A3?  Huh. I dunno, good question.  I guess I'll need to go back and look again.  I suppose more research is in order on my part but thanks for the comments so far.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 9:17:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Run, DO NOT walk, RUN down to that pawn shop and buy that thing.  Take it out and shoot hell out of it until it fails (it WILL) and then you can sue the guy and be a pawn shop owner.

Just kidding (for those that can't figure it out for themselves).  I'd actively avoid that rifle. If for no other reason that it's been defiled by the monte crapo stock on such a fine veteran.  It's a shame that such early number 03's have been ruined in this way.

Bear hunting, eh?  Ever thougt of a handgun?  .44 mag will do the trick and is MUCH more challenging.  

CB
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 9:38:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Bear hunting, eh?  Ever thougt of a handgun?  .44 mag will do the trick and is MUCH more challenging.  

CB
View Quote

yeah after you run out of ammo by pissing the bear off u can c  whos a better runner you or a pissed off bear
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 9:57:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
yeah after you run out of ammo by pissing the bear off u can c  whos a better runner you or a pissed off bear
View Quote

He's hunting BLACK bear in the ADIRONDACKS, cantread777, not griz in BC. [rolleyes]

I have to admit that proferring the idea of the unhuntability of large bears with large handguns is....pretty funny.  It certainly demonstrates YOUR experience in this area.  Sorry for the apparent flame but you have to admit (if you have any REAL, firsthand knowledge of the subject) that the 'faster runner' line only shows ignorance or a pretty lame, hackneyed attempt at humor.

CB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top