Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2006 2:12:28 PM EDT
I'm thinking about just soaking everything in gasoline overnight and then scrubbing the exterior of all the parts with one of those ultra fine sandpaper pads.

Good idea or bad idea?

School me please.

I've got a 7.62 bore brush... that'll work for a .308 barrell, right?
Also, I've got some Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber... is that ok to use?

Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Gas BAAAAAAAAAAAAD  MMMMMMMKay?

Use brake cleaner dude.

ETA: Everything else in your list is good to go.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I just picked up my 1919 kit today.  I'm going to fill my basement sink with hot water and simple green.  It works great on oil and grease.  Then I'll give it a good scrub and blow them off with air.  I'll hit them with brake cleaner before I gunkote them.

Simple green is easy on the hands and your head (fumes).  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#3]
you could get some slip 725   or   MPro 7  if you wanted a little more gun specific cleaner but still "safe" like simple green.

I'd use a toothbrush and scrub everything.   and yeah, a 7.62 bore brush will work.    .308 and 30-.06 and 300 WM or WSM, etc etc are the exact same diameter-    .308

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Simple Green fumes hurt if it's too concentrated.

Take all the pieces that can fit and stick them in the dishwasher by themselves, vertical, if possible, and run it through a pots and pans cycle.

Use brake cleaner or a water/simple green solution on the barrel, then spray it off with WD-40 to displace the water.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:57:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Simple Green fumes hurt if it's too concentrated.

Take all the pieces that can fit and stick them in the dishwasher by themselves, vertical, if possible, and run it through a pots and pans cycle.

Use brake cleaner or a water/simple green solution on the barrel, then spray it off with WD-40 to displace the water.

I like that idea.  Its not going to jack up my dishawasher though, is it?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:05:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd clean the cosmoline off with kerosene or diesel, then spray that off with brake clean, let dry, then CLP the parts then wipe them down with an old t-shirt.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:06:23 PM EDT
[#7]
use gloves and do it in a ventilated area because those chemicals can absorb into the skin and damage the liver.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:23:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
use gloves and do it in a ventilated area because those chemicals can absorb into the skin and damage the liver.

Um... how about kerosene... I didn't use gloves for that yesterday.  It burned the shit outta all the cuts on my hands.  Is my liver going to go tits up now too?

And what is CLP?  Is that like Gun Scrubber?  And is there any specific brake cleaner I should use?

eta: I soaked some of the parts in kerosene about 24 hours.  Then I scrubbed em with a wire brush until it was a uniform light green gray.  Wire brush isn't taking off more than its supposed to, is it?

Thanks for all the replies.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:03:10 AM EDT
[#9]
jeez I wouldnt use a wire brush. That may take off some of the parkerizing.  I would use a tooth brush instead.

Brake cleaner is available at any autoparts store, its like carb cleaner but a bit more effective, it can damage the liver. It does take ALOT though.

CLP is the light oil that the .mil uses to lube thier m16's. You can get it at any gunstore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top