Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 11:10:21 AM EDT
I want it to a good experience so I am going to a private outdoor range, (we will be the only shooters)

I have a mess of guns, Glocks, 1911, sig, revolvers, .22 pistol/ rifle, shotguns, M4, m1a, garand, mini 14, sks, ak.

Any recommendations?

I only want to bring about 5, I was thinking, ruger 10/22 to get her started, then .22 pistol then 9mm then AR.

Should I just stick with 22's?

Is it better to start with a pistol or a rifle?

any tips for a new shooter, especially a girl, I dont want to scare her off I am so comfortable around firearms i cannot even remember what it feels like to fire for the first time.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I like your selection of firearms; my advice is to bring active targets.  People like to shoot things that explode or make noise when hit.  My suggestion:  plastic milk jugs filled with colored water.  A 5.56 round turns 'em into saran wrap.  Steel plates, cheap soda, eggs, and clay pigeons (on a backstop) are also good targets for handguns and .22's.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Dont just bring .22's bring a 9mm and maybe the AR like you said. Just dont push them onto her if she doesn't want to try them yet.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:16:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Condom
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Id start her off with the lighter recoil stuff, but also think about WHAT you will be shooting at.  Most new shooters can't get into the paper punching thing.  Try some reactive steel plates, balloons, even clay targets propped up on something.

EDIT:  Wow, 4 seconds from beleg on the first time I posted this.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#5]
22, 9mm and the AR should do her.
OTH wifey digs the G29 but only at one mag per range session.
Thats all her baby sized wrists can take. She's shoots it very well.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Id start her off with the lighter recoil stuff, but also think about WHAT you will be shooting at.  Most new shooters can't get into the paper punching thing.  Try some reactive steel plates, balloons, even clay targets propped up on something.

good point, i cannot believe i overlooked that,

I will have to pick up a couple of cases of skeets
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:18:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I think your plan sounds good.  Keep it to just a few guns.  Four or five is a good number.

Start with the 22 rifle, but only load one round at a time into the magazine to begin with.  if it were bolt or lever-action, I wouldn't worry, but a semi-auto needs extra care for a first-time shooter.

The rifle will be easier to keep pointed in a safe direction and easier for you to grab if she's starting to move in an unsafe direction (ie spinning around in excitement to brag about a good shot, not noticing that they're pointing the gun at you).
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:18:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Just make sure you take a digital camera.  Then, post pics.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#9]
If you use paper targets, put them close enough so she can see the bulle holes. I put mine about  7 yards out.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Not listed but pistol caliber carbines are nearly a sure thing e.g. HK 94, Beretta Storm Cx4.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:19:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Just make sure you take a digital camera.  Then, post pics.

+1!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:21:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Bring muffs AND earplugs.  In case she's extra-sensitive to loud noises, she can double up.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:22:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Here's what you should do:

Once you have everything set up, grab your AR. Rush the firing position while doing a few combat rolls  yelling "I'm up. He sees me. I'm down." in between each one. Once you reach the right spot, scream out "ICEMAN!" at the top of you lungs, pause for a second (and I mean ONLY a second) then proceed to do a full mag dump.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:28:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Once you have everything set up, grab your AR. Rush the firing position while doing a few combat rolls  yelling "I'm up. He sees me. I'm down." in between each one. Once you reach the right spot, scream out "ICEMAN!" at the top of you lungs, pause for a second (and I mean ONLY a second) then proceed to do a full mag dump.

yeah she isn't going to be my battle buddy during the live fire!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Start out with the 22s then the AR then the 9mm pistol.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:31:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Be sure to bring a  12Ga shotty with 3"magnum slugs. She'll enjoy that one for the next week.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#17]
All you need is a .22 and a .38!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:35:28 AM EDT
[#18]
M261 and the other similar 22 caliber conversion are often over looked.

simple un tactical (re: lightweight) 9mm AR's are fun too.

light recoiling pistols/revolvers and rifles are key.

very close targets.  eye and ear pro.  good attitude.

thats about it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#19]
A .460 Wby Mag shooting 500 gr solids..
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#20]
I have had two experiences with new women shooters in the past couple months. One being my wife the other being her sister. Started em both out on a .22 pistol for 50-100 rds. Once they got comfortable I moved them up to the 9mm glocks. After that I had my wife shoot one of my AR's. Didnt like it at all. She doesnt dig the rifle thing. She loves my G17 though and thats what she wants to shoot all the time. My S.I.L went the opposite direction. She burnt thru about 250 rounds of 5.56. She definately prefered shooting with my AR w/ the Eotech over my SP1. Makes it easier for them to use a dot. She was a little intimidated by the Garand at first. However, after putting that first round down range, she was hooked. She ended up shooting around 32 rds from the Garand.Other guys at the range were getting a kick out of watching this girl that is 4'11 weighing 95 lbs blasting away with the M1. I wonder if I picked the wrong sister
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#21]
22LRs are good for a beginner because of light recoil. A 357 Mag revolver with 38s and 357s would be good if she wants to try something bigger. For targets, go by Wally World and get a box of clay pigeons and set them up at different distances. Balloons can be used too. Both are good reactive targets.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#22]
The girls I have taken shooting like my AR and AK more than anything else
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:42:49 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

good point, i cannot believe i overlooked that,

I will have to pick up a couple of cases of skeets

Shooting clay targets on the ground isn't as fun as blowing up water bottles.  Instead of spending $5 on a box of clay targets spend the $5 on a 24 pack of bottled water.  Even after the bottle is shot and the water is gone you can still set it back up and shoot it again.  Every girl I have taken has loved shooting the bottles the best.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:43:46 AM EDT
[#24]
ah hell.

just bring a scoped 50 and unscrew the muzzle break.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:44:11 AM EDT
[#25]
If you are going to the desert/woods (depending on where you live), get tannerite
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:53:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Bring muffs AND earplugs.  In case she's extra-sensitive to loud noises, she can double up.

i heard that double bagging actually increases the chance of failure.  but thats probably a different topic.

i'd definitely start her out with a .22lr RIFLE.        if you dont have  bolt action, do as already suggested and load 1 rnd in the mag at a time.  make sure she understsands never to point it where she doesnt want to shoot, even when its empty.

but try not to overwhelm her with rules, too.

i wouldnt recommend any pistol shooting the first day, but thats just me.  unless she said shooting from a bench with a rifle was "ok"        - at which point you could bring out a .22 pistol to see if thats her fancy

have an AR as backup, but i dont think you need anything with a big recoil to make it fun.        a .22 will let a milk jug last more than just one hit.           dont overlook popcans or other smaller items to take out either.

another option: get a glue stick and glue neco wafers on a piece of paper (might need to roughly color them w/ a sharpie)  - i used to shoot at those w/ a 22 and they blow off the page when hit. (they're kind of small though, so maybe not b/c she might get frustrated if she cant hit them.  start with big targets)
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#27]
.22s and stick with them. Bring reactive targets, even if they are just clays that you set out on the berm.

.22 rifles are good if there's a bench that she can rest them on. Otherwise a .22 handgun.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:02:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Electronic Earmuffs for both of you.  It is easer to hear and give instructions.  Also Eye protection.

Do you have a 9mm upper for your Ar?  That will work nicely for a new shooter.  Also with the adjustable stock on the M4 you can bring it in a stop or two so that it fits her better to shoot.

Before you get to the range talk about safety.  

Start slow.  She trusts you to know what you are doing, if there is a mechanical problem with a firearm explain to her how come it can not be used.

Leave the place cleaner than when you get there.  You might have to explain that this is slob shooters or people dumping in the area, and you do not agree with the way they leave the place.

Be ready to answer questions.

Oh yeah:
Digital Camera
Drinks
Sun Screen or warm clothing (whichever is appropriate)
Hand sanitizer or baby wipes
Condoms

The update on this will be worthless without pics.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I like your selection of firearms; my advice is to bring active targets.  People like to shoot things that explode or make noise when hit.  My suggestion:  plastic milk jugs filled with colored water.  A 5.56 round turns 'em into saran wrap.  Steel plates, cheap soda, eggs, and clay pigeons (on a backstop) are also good targets for handguns and .22's.  

+1 +1 +1

AND balloons.  My girlfriend likes the waterbottles and balloons.  I'd say bring some good .22s and the 9 and AR.  Only move up to the 9 or AR if she asks to.  Maybe you can be shooting and having fun and she'll look over and get jeleous and ask if she can shoot the big guns too.  I'd save the waterbottles for the 223.  It's all about making her feel good about herself.  If you make her feel good about herself, she'll like it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I'm up!  He sees me!  I'm down!    OORAH!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#31]
I say being everything from your .22s to your M1A. Jut because you bring them doesn't mean she MUST shoot them. Leave options open. If you start comparing one gun to another and you happen to have both there...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#32]
My girl shot a FAL and AK with no problem.  She didn't shoot my M1A but it feels about the same as a FAL.  She shoots my AR all day long.  I wouldn't worry about recoil.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:27:14 PM EDT
[#33]
The best reactive target I know of is a 10lb block of ice.  I usually bring four or five when taking someone shooting for the first time.  The difference between what a .22 will do (which is usually more impressive than people expect) and what a .45 ACP will do, versus what a .223 will do is VERY informative and entertaining.

I progress this way:  .22 Ruger Single-six, .22 Ruger MkII, .38 snubbie, 9x18 Makarov, 9mm pistol (if I can borrow one - I don't own one), .45 automatic, .357 Magmum, AR15.

Usually, by the time they get to the .45 they're a little fatigued and starting to flinch, so I'll sometimes skip to the AR shooting it off the bench.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Bolt-action .22 if you have one.

Don't be afraid to bring a 1911.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#35]
ive had girlfriends as small as 5'1" 105 pounds that prefered the Glock17 9mm over the little walther ppk .380... so bring handguns of all sizes.  another girlfriend liked the Glock45 over the other two which suprised me also cause its such a large pistol, and she was a smaller girl also.

***************heres my advice.****************
the first time you hand her the handgun, dont tell her theres only ONE round in it.   this is your testing period to see if she will fire the first shot and scream spinning circles with the gun in all directions.  or they also get the weird need to turn sideways with it to talk to you.  i learned the first time my 16 year old cousin screamed while running with a gun.  so when i took a girlfriend out i only had one in the chamber and sure enough after she fired she turned it 90 degrees to talk to me even though i told her to ALWAYS keep it downrange.

good luck and have fun
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:05:43 PM EDT
[#36]
I took a friend on her first range outting. I promised I wouldn't let her shoot anything that would hurt her right up front. She started small and went right up to a 50BMG. Her favorite was the MAC, but the suppressor got as little hot for her. Oh, she did get a piece of hot brass down her shirt and burned a bewbie so if you friend is endowed you might want to warn her.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:09:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Let her pick the guns out and bring some 22.  Also, bring cans to knock over rather than targets.  They like that better.  Hell, I do too!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:00:38 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Oh, she did get a piece of hot brass down her shirt and burned a bewbie so if you friend is endowed you might want to warn her.

PICS!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:02:17 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I took a friend on her first range outting. I promised I wouldn't let her shoot anything that would hurt her right up front. She started small and went right up to a 50BMG. Her favorite was the MAC, but the suppressor got a little hot for her. Oh, she did get a piece of hot brass down her shirt and burned a bewbie so if your friend is endowed you might want to warn her.

You lied, and failed to protect her.  

She'll cherish  that scar on her tit forever.    

Endowed or not, any newbie to the range for their first time should wear appropriate clothing, plus 'eyes-n-ears.'   Including a cap/hat.  It's our responsibility to ensure they have a safe, painless, (scar-less) good time

Think about it.  If you went to do something new that is generally portrayed to be pure evil and came home with a burnt/scarred sac, just how soon would you EVER want to go back?

Then again, if you warned her to wear protective clothing and she didn't,.. well, lesson learned.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:05:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Bring the M203 and load it with a parachute flair round.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:06:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Yes, bring a camera...one so she'll remember the event, and more importantly...so you can post pics...everyone loves seeing chicks an guns...If she's fat and ugly, we don't wanna see that so just tell us you forgot the camera...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top