Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 11:00:27 AM EDT
After swearing that I would never own a rifle chambered for a belted magnum cartridge, I now have four, 3 of which followed me home in the last three weeks, the other I've had a little over a year -
- a Model 700 in .375 Weatherby Magnum,
- a Model 700 in .358 Norman Magnum,
- a Ruger #1 in 7mm Remington Magnum,
- and my beautiful pre-war Model 70 in .300 Mashburn Short magnum.

I may not have lost my mind, but I am sure I will be loosting it, and probably a few fillings.  The .375 has a brake, at least.  The Ruger is the only stock gun, the others have custom barrels and other work.  One good feature - they all have scopes, so that's one aggravation I won't have.  I also have dies for all four, and pretty much a lifetime supply of bullets of all shapes and weights for the two big guns.

I may whack a Missouri deer with them this year, just to see what happens (to the deer).

There is another rifle in .308 Norma Magnum on a commercial Mauser action calling, but the price needs to come down $500.

edited for tc6969:  He wanted two extra letters.  Or is it just one?

And I have no idea how to get rid of Prolly; always around, and always in the way.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#1]
How much did all these set you back, if you don't mind me asking?

I've never even HEARD of the .300 Mashburn Short Magnum.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:13:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How much did all these set you back, if you don't mind me asking?

I've never even HEARD of the .300 Mashburn Short Magnum.

Art Mashburn was a gunsmith in Oklahoma City in the 40's and 50's (I don't know how early he started for sure, or when he quit for good, but he was still working in 1970 in his 80's) that got ahead of his time by developing several true short magnum cartridges, plus a bunch of other wildcats.  He is mostly remembered for his 7mm short magnum and his version of the .218 Bee - both are still popular with shooters that own these rifles.  I recently bought a very early supplement to PO Ackley's book circa 1955 or 1956 that has info for three or four times as many Mashburn cartridges than I already knew about.  I recall that he died in 1982, but there are still folks around that did business or worked for him at his old shop.  The current Mashburn gunshop is related in name only.  A major distinction of Mashburn guns with his cartridges was the lack of freebore that was present in the Weatherby rifles - Mashburn was pretty adamant about the deleterious impact of excess freebore on accuracy.

The .308 Norma Magnum is a dead nuts reproduction of the .300 Mashburn Short Magnum.  The first cases came from .300 H&H brass, but all the brass I have is shortened .338 Win Mag.  I got this gun in an airplane trade, so its cost is fuzzy, but I came out all right.  I also got an absolutely NIB Winchester International Army Match rifle in that trade; it still has the cardboard protectors on the sling swivels.

I did okay on the other rifles.  I got dies with all the rifles except the 7mm (and I traded a Contender case for a set of those, so there's $10 tied up), plus there are two sets of dies for other big magnums, and I doubt I could replace the boxes and boxes of bullets for $300 to $400; I have less than $1700 in the three guns, scopes, cases, primers, and stuff.

This all happened because I was in the right place at the right time one year ago, and the man I met then followed through on his word about another deal - a rare thing these days in my experience.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:18:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Pics man, where are the damn pics
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:27:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, but what does that have to do with Prolly losing your mind?

You should have known better than to trust that irresponsible dolt with your mind!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top