Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2006 9:34:56 AM EDT
The senior center that I volunteer at is in need of some new computers. They're running PII's and Win 98 and I'd like to help them upgrade their systems. Does anyone know of companies that have a donation program for seniors?? or does anyone know about any .gov programs or anything through the phone companies?????
(I was under the impression that one of the many fees that the telco's collect was supposed to be used for low income internet service and possibly computers)

TIA y'all.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Try getting in touch with the IT dept. for your local/regional network provider.

We used to donate tons older computers by 20 footer trailers to non profit organizations. They were basically servers running various tasks converted for "home" PC use.

Our current setup does not allow it to be converted for non commercial use, at least not economically feasible. In between that and some enterprising fellow from Texas are buying 'em up and refurbishing them.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanx... I have Time Warner here and the behemoth SBC / ATT....

do u know the name of a specific program for donations?? or do I just call 'em up and ask for the It dept??
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:34:23 AM EDT
[#3]
shameless bump
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:36:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Ask at whatever college or municipal agencies are in your area, find out when they upgrade their systems and what they do with the old hardware.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:46:11 AM EDT
[#5]
The thing is.. we're a small municipality(8,000) next to a huge city(1 million +). So we don't get access to many of the 'city' offices and services. We get some support from the count, but not much. I'll contact the ISP's in the area today.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:56:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Try Microsoft, they have programs for things like these and love publicity.  You might also want to try an ISP, sometimes they have programs for charity also.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:34:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Free stuff from Micro$oft??????.

Is there a name for the program???

I don't know how far I'd get just ringing them and asking for free stuff.

Any help is appreciated. <insert senior smiley>
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top