Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2006 1:46:25 AM EDT
Parking flap ends in arrest
March 14, 2006 12:50 am
Fredericksburg.com
By KEITH EPPS

Police are accusing the owner of a North Stafford shopping center with getting a little carried away in dealing with a parking dispute on his property.

Nicholas Khatchi, 78, of Clifton, the owner of Patton K. Plaza on Garrisonville Road, was charged with threatening several people with a gun while dealing with the dispute, Sheriff Charles Jett said.

Khatchi was being held down in a barber shop in his shopping center when deputies arrived shortly after 2 p.m. Friday.

According to Jett, the dispute began when a tow-truck driver pulled into the shopping center that afternoon and took up five parking spaces.

Someone who was getting gas at a nearby store approached the driver and asked him to move, Jett said. The driver refused, and walked toward the barber shop.

The citizen went into the store after pumping gas and asked someone to contact the Sheriff's Office. Khatchi showed up at that time, Jett said, and told the citizen he would take care of it.

Khatchi confronted the truck driver as he was walking in the shopping center, Jett said. According to the sheriff, there were conflicting stories about what was said, but the driver's response clearly didn't satisfy the shopping center owner.

Jett said Khatchi followed the driver into the barber shop and told the barber not to provide service to the driver. The barber balked at Khatchi's demand, Jett said.

Jett said Khatchi is accused of then pulling a .22-caliber handgun out of a holster and asking, "Do you know who I am?"

Jett said people in the barber shop somehow talked Khatchi into putting the gun back in the holster, then took him to the ground until police arrived.

Khatchi, who has a valid concealed weapons permit, was charged with brandishing a firearm and disorderly conduct. He was released on his own recognizance.

Jett said the Sheriff's Office would not have gotten involved in the parking dispute because the shopping center is private property. However, he said Khatchi could have had the vehicle towed.

To reach KEITH EPPS:540/374-5404
Email: [email protected]

fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2006/032006/03142006/175303
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:09:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I really don't get it.  I would have been overjoyed at the irony of watching a towtruck being towed away while the owner gets all irate yelling at the other towtruck driver.  I probably would've even grabbed my video camera to tape it for posterity.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:12:28 AM EDT
[#2]
What a fucked up world we live in.

I'll bet the poor tow truck driver feels like a victim.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:12:39 AM EDT
[#3]
"Do you KNOW who I am?????"
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:14:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I really don't get it.  I would have been overjoyed at the irony of watching a towtruck being towed away while the owner gets all irate yelling at the other towtruck driver.  I probably would've even grabbed my video camera to tape it for posterity.

That would have been classic.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:18:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I tow truck drivers.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:59:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Can you just imagine the irony of seeing one tow truck driver put the boot on the other tow truck driver's vehicle? I can just see the victim tow truck driver jumping up and down, screaming "don't you know who I am? I'm the MF'ing tow truck driver who is going to tow your goddamned ass later on".

It would have me rolling on the ground in tears.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:04:38 AM EDT
[#7]
what a moron
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:06:27 AM EDT
[#8]
some people just get worked up, and make an Assssssssss  out of themselves
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:08:38 AM EDT
[#9]
straight brandishing, no question.  not smart.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:17:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

If he is the owner of the private property can he be charged for brandishing a weapon in his own building?  Seeing as he told the guy he couldn't park there the tow truck driver was then treaspassing.  If the driver then became confrontational it would seem like the owner was justified.  If someone you didn't know parked their vehicle on your lawn and when you told them to move they got in your face...would you draw your weapon?

So the barber defended the tow truck driver and then tackled the owner of the building...I bet his lease doesn't get renewed.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:54:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If he is the owner of the private property can he be charged for brandishing a weapon in his own building?

- The barber has the store location leased from the building owner so the owner can't do whatever he wants just because he owns the overall building.

Seeing as he told the guy he couldn't park there the tow truck driver was then treaspassing.
Where in the story is it said that he told the driver that he couldnt park there?

If the driver then became confrontational it would seem like the owner was justified.

- If the driver had been confrontational you might be right.  However it certainly doesnt appear that was the case.

If someone you didn't know parked their vehicle on your lawn and when you told them to move they got in your face...would you draw your weapon?
- apples and oranges.  That has nothign to do with this incident.

So the barber defended the tow truck driver and then tackled the owner of the building...I bet his lease doesn't get renewed.
Who cares.  Good job for him not being bullied by the property owner.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:57:20 AM EDT
[#12]
The owner should have told him to remove himself from his property immediately or face a trespassing charge.  Police could get involved at that time.

jd1
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:00:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

well, he wasn't flashing his AMEX card, so how was anyone supposed to know?

he's a friggn assclown and it sucks that he had a ccw, let alone a ccw and had the nerve to threaten somene with a .22 of all things.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:01:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:01:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If he is the owner of the private property can he be charged for brandishing a weapon in his own building?

If you rent an apartment can the landlord come in and do anything he wants?

Seeing as he told the guy he couldn't park there the tow truck driver was then treaspassing.

No he's not. Trespassing is when you are told to leave and don't.

If the driver then became confrontational it would seem like the owner was justified. If someone you didn't know parked their vehicle on your lawn and when you told them to move they got in your face...would you draw your weapon?

There is absolutely no proof or statement that the tow truck driver was "confrontational". He just wouldn't move his truck.

He may be better off if it doesn't.

Bottom line, is someone who refuses to move a vehicle or even "trespassing" cause to draw and point a weapon? What exactly was this numbnuts going to do if the driver still refused?

Sad. More ammo for the antis.

eta: What if the tow truck driver had a CCW and been armed? It's likely he could have articulated in court that he was in fear for his life.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:01:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:18:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:23:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I"M RICK JAMES BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:27:36 AM EDT
[#19]
So much for that guy's CCW.

Oh well...Sounds like it's better he not have a firearm.

Next time somone double parks he may draw down again.....

"Hey you double parked!"
"Oh yeah, well, F' you!"
*POP-POP-POP-POP*

IIRC, carrying a .22 in TX for CCW is a crime....Dunno if it is there.

I think the lightest you can carry is a .32 in TX.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:28:43 AM EDT
[#20]

this is the kind of material liberals LOVE.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:29:53 AM EDT
[#21]
dumbass
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:43:32 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted: If the driver then became confrontational it would seem like the owner was justified.

Not unless he had reason to be in fear for his life.  That's not plausible here, at least from the information provided.  He was the one who escalated the incident.

Quoted:If someone you didn't know parked their vehicle on your lawn and when you told them to move they got in your face...would you draw your weapon?

Absolutely not.  Would you?  Wow.  If your answer is yes, you might ask yourself whether you have the temperment and reasoning ability to CCW.  If anyone were justified for producing a CCW in this case, it was the tow truck driver.

Quoted:So the barber defended the tow truck driver and then tackled the owner of the building...I bet his lease doesn't get renewed.

True, but that's immaterial to this discussion.

The tow truck driver was an ass for what he did, but the owner is the biggest ass of them all for totally over reacting and putting all CCW licensees in a bad light, given the microscope we are always under.  He's a hot head.  You and I have both met them.  Folks who are that easily angered to the point of drawing down - probably should self screen when it comes to the question "should I obtain a ccw permit?"

Sad because it'll hurt us all.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:46:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Aaaah, yes!!

That immortal quote instantly identifies the user as a complete ASSHOLE, no exceptions!

(not FieroLoki)

I hate people that use that line.   Of course the old man could be so senile that he does not know who he is.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:58:44 AM EDT
[#24]
So, did the guy get his hair cut??
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:48:12 AM EDT
[#25]

According to Jett, the dispute began when a tow-truck driver pulled into the shopping center that afternoon and took up five parking spaces.

Someone who was getting gas at a nearby store approached the driver and asked him to move, Jett said. The driver refused, and walked toward the barber shop.

The citizen went into the store after pumping gas and asked someone to contact the Sheriff's Office. Khatchi showed up at that time, Jett said, and told the citizen he would take care of it.

What business was it of this clown to regulate the parking situation in a shopping center in the first place???

Pulling the gun in this situation was a huge asshat move IMO.  Whatever happened to "Don't draw your firearm unless you have the intention of using it"?  So this guy was willing to shoot the truck driver over taking up too many pkg spots?  Not exactly a life and death situation or one that could not have been handled by other means.  I.E.  having the tow truck towed as mentioned above by others.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:22:01 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If he is the owner of the private property can he be charged for brandishing a weapon in his own building?  Seeing as he told the guy he couldn't park there the tow truck driver was then treaspassing.  If the driver then became confrontational it would seem like the owner was justified.  If someone you didn't know parked their vehicle on your lawn and when you told them to move they got in your face...would you draw your weapon?

No matter where he is, the problem with brandishing, is pulling a gun on another person.

Whether or not the parking job was bad or not, that isn't a reason to pull a gun on another person.

The owner was confrontational, since he tracked down the "violator" told a merchant not to serv him, and when the driver didn't move to fix the parking job, he pulled a gun.

If someone parked on my lawn, and disregarded my request to move the vehicle, even if they balled up their little fists, NO I would not need a gun to settle an arguement. Something about not being scared...................... Nor would I get into a heated arguement over someone parking on my property.

OLY - You're on my property, please move your vehicle some place else.
Parker - What if I don't
OLY - dialing a tow company

Next, when you open your property to be used commercially, you have to expect to serve the public. Ever heard the customer is always right? The tow truck driver was a customer on that property.

If he was driving a flat bed tow truck, would it even fit in parking spaces at a shopping center? I would rather have him take up five spaces, especially ones not real close to the store, than try to use one, and have the ass of his truck sticking so far out of the space that it blocks a lane.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:22:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Dumbass.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:24:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:25:39 AM EDT
[#29]

A tow truck driver in Fredericksburg, VA, huh?

I'll bet he was going to get his mullet trimmed.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:29:41 AM EDT
[#30]

OLY - You're on my property, please move your vehicle some place else.
Parker - What if I don't
OLY - dialing a tow company

There is simply not enough "tough guy" factor in that.

I have to deal with private property/trespassing all the time.
Clients would like me to physically throw people off the property,
but, I prefer not to go to jail.

GoonBoss-  Sir/M'am, you are on private property and, are now trespassing.  Please leave the property now.

Subject (usually)-  F' you!

GoonBoss-  Sir/M'am, you are on private property and, you are trespassing.  Please leave the property now.

Subject (usuall)- F' you!

GoonBoss-  Sir/M'am please leave the property at this time, or I will call the police and have you removed.

Subject (usually)- F'you!  Call 'em!

GoonBoss- *Draws down with cell phone and calls cops*.

Not very sexy, but, effective enough.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:36:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Are you sure it wasn't really Junior Soprano?  Maybe Katchi is just an alias?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:42:06 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aaaah, yes!!

That immortal quote instantly identifies the user as a complete ASSHOLE, no exceptions!

(not FieroLoki)

I hate people that use that line.   Of course the old man could be so senile that he does not know who he is.

Ordinarily, you're right, because it's usually John Kerry trying to butt in line at Starbucks or an airport. In this case, though, being that the old guy was the owner of the lot where the truck was parked, it most certainly does make a difference who he is, and it's an appropriate question.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:43:22 AM EDT
[#33]
old people... only thing they are good for is soylent green..
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:07:58 AM EDT
[#34]
kiss your ccw goodbye dumbass.

it's fucksticks like this that give us a bad name.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top