Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 11:21:52 PM EDT
Last year I sent a watch back to the factory to be serviced.  Long story short the company said they never received it, but I had proof and eventually they ended up replacing it.  I always had a feeling the watch got pocketed when the box got opened at the factory.  This past weekend I saw what I think was my watch on EBay.  I say that because the watch was being sold with a brand new factory box that is not correct for the age of the watch, the seller has no idea which model it is beyond the model number, and says that the scuffs on it are from being a dealer sample.  Funny thing is the scuffs are in the same place that I had scuffed on mine before it was sent back for servicing. The seller also lives in the area where the factory is.  I swear it’s my watch, but I can’t prove it, beyond recognizing it as mine.  I have the original box and owner’s manual, but I don’t have the serial number.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:25:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had to do "retrievals" for friends who'd had their bike stolen, then found them for sale on eBay or craigslist.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:31:59 PM EDT
[#2]

In Denmark, the police stole a motorbike from me once!  

I moved into an condo complex close to the army base I was stationed at, and apparently my new neighbors didn't realize the motorcycle (an offroad/cross bike) belonged to me, and complained to the local police who impounded it.  (Because it was an offroader, it didn't need or have registration, so they couldn't "trace" it to me.

When Itthought my bike had been stolen, I obviously called the police - who told me it had been impounded, but I could go and pick it up at their warehouse.

Funny thing is, when I went, the guys who managed the warehouse (civilian employees) "couldn't find" it.

Bastards.  Because it wasn't registered, I have no doubt that one of those bastards stole it, and either sold it, or enjoyed riding around on my bike.  

That was over 20 years ago, and I'm still pissed!  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#3]
The seller may have aquired it through legitimate means, and I'm not accusing them of stealing it but I swear this is my watch

I just wish I could prove it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:42:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't most high-end watches have serial numbers on the back plate or lugs?  If you kept records on the watch maybe you can casually ask the seller to disclose the SN.

ETA: Doh!  Didn't read the part about you not having the SN.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:49:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Don't most high-end watches have serial numbers on the back plate or lugs?  If you kept records on the watch maybe you can casually ask the seller to disclose the SN.

Usually they do, but I don't have it.  When I bought it 12 years ago the dealer wrote down the model number as the serial number, and I didn't know any better until it turned up missing last year.  The box and UPC code bar relate back to the model number too.  The serial number was on the inside of the caseback. I have had to open the watch to get it. I never did that since I didn't want to break the seals on the water resistance.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:41:32 AM EDT
[#6]
"Buy the watch"

When he gives you the payment info (addy, etc) go pay him a visit with "Big Bertha"
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:13:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks like it belongs to roumi01 now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top