Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 7:21:27 PM EDT
Shhhhhh!!!

Construction begins on WTC memorial as families protest

NEW YORK (AP) — With little fanfare, construction workers on Monday began clearing debris from the site of the World Trade Center towers, the first step in building a permanent memorial to victims of the Sept. 11 attacks. Some victims' families rallied nearby to protest the monument's design.

Without the ceremony that usual accompanies groundbreakings, trucks carrying lumber and other equipment rolled down a ramp to the site, and workers started shoveling earth off the north tower footprint.
The memorial, titled "Reflecting Absence" by architect Michael Arad, was chosen two years ago from more than 5,200 proposals. It marks the fallen towers near their footprints with two stone reflecting pools surrounded by a glade of trees.

But some families have protested that parts of the memorial will be as much as 70 feet below street level, including names of the nearly 3,000 people killed in the 2001 attacks and the 1993 trade center bombing.
Dozens of family members held up pictures of their loved ones and chanted "no underground memorial." They said they did not want to descend below street level to remember those killed.
{Symbolically - the planners are obviously trying to bury this whole "9-11 thing" once and for all. }

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:23:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I want something that is 1,000 feet tall and faceing the Middle east. I will call it Big fucking middle fingure and when you see it you will be aw struck and be like fuck osama.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:24:31 PM EDT
[#2]
well that's fucked up.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:25:21 PM EDT
[#3]
This is gonna get interesting.  I went to JFKs memorial the other day.  People have no imagination.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:27:52 PM EDT
[#4]
That's terrible.

No fanfare? No ceremony? Protests?
WTF. OVER!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:28:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I want something that is 1,000 feet tall and faceing the Middle east. I will call it Big fucking middle fingure and when you see it you will be aw struck and be like fuck osama.

I think either you or the "Field of Buffaloes/Bison" guy should have won.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:37:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I say for we construct and mobile memorial..... We can begin the build with the B-52 that will drop a nuke on the Middle East.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:39:13 AM EDT
[#7]
That many families, they'll never agree on any one design, so the leadership needs to risk pissing off  a few to get the project underway.

Anyone recall how some people initially HATED the Viet Nam Memorial?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:05:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I wish they would hurry up and build "Freedom Plaza" They could have been done by now
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:23:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I say build back up the same way and the put the U.N. on the top floors!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:31:41 AM EDT
[#10]
so they aren't going to rebuild the towers? They're just gonna put some memorial in the hole in the ground where the basement used to be?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:34:55 AM EDT
[#11]
9-11 never happened.  

Just like the holocaust.

There's the #1 reason to own firearms, right there.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:36:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
That many families, they'll never agree on any one design, so the leadership needs to risk pissing off  a few to get the project underway.

I know plenty of Vets that STILL hate the Vietnam Memorial.

People hate the WW2 memorial.

People hate the Korean War memorial.

There is a Vietnam Memorial in Chicago that lists everyone from the state of IL that were killed during the war. It is also below street level and people hate it.

Can't please everyone.

Av.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:37:44 AM EDT
[#13]
what are the chances of the memorial flooding in NY and doesnt it snow heavily there also?  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:38:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I wonder if it had been the UN that was hit and taken down, would it have taken them 5 years to even break ground for a replacement, or would we already be looking at a new building standing on the foundation of the old structure?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
what are the chances of the memorial flooding in NY and doesnt it snow heavily there also?  

Not a chance and yes.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:44:15 AM EDT
[#16]

That entire construction project is completely fucked up, because so many different people are invovled.  I believe the port authority still ownes the land, but another guy/company owns the lease - and the designs for the new buildings and memorial were at the city/state level or something like that.

Groundbreaking is supposed to start soon - and various governors and senators are trying to throw their weight around, but things are apparently partly being delayed because there is doubt over whether four building are feasible as part of the Freedom Tower complex (or would create a surplus of office space) so Bloomberg has apparently suggested just building two, which is pissing off the architects ...

Basically, it's a mess.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:50:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
so they aren't going to rebuild the towers? They're just gonna put some memorial in the hole in the ground where the basement used to be?

Kinda fitting for the attitudes these days in the U.S. huh?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:51:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Just wait till they build the mosque on top of it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:56:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Build a huge memorial, the biggest in the history of the world.  Theme the memorial in a way that calls a spade a spade, do not apply any PC garbage to it.  Then build an ICBM site next to it, with nukes pointed at the Middle East 24/7.  Oh yes, and I like the middle finger idea, too.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Sounds like a great memorial for us to build . . .
in Mecca.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:04:39 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I wish they would hurry up and build "Freedom Plaza" They could have been done by now

+1!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:04:47 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
9-11 never happened.  

Just like the holocaust.

There's the #1 reason to own firearms, right there.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#23]

Yup, and there are people that still take offense to it. I know a candidate that ran for the Florida House in 2000 that was going to donate the left over campaign funds to the Travelling Wall and have it hosted in Ocala, FL., again. Well, when the big-wigs in the democratic party found out where the candidate was going to donate the left over funds, they came down on him about it. Well, the candidate made damn sure they would know how he felt about the wall and unfortunately he lost and there weren't any funds to donate.

I know how I felt the first time I saw the wall. I would check names, dates, reflect on things that happened in my life on the dates on the wall and it made a profound impact on me to know so many men died on various days of my life when I was a kid riding a bike, or fishing, or whatever, and they were in the thick of shit, and died to bring freedom to a repressed people and to stop communism from enveloping the entire world.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:10:46 AM EDT
[#24]
they can model the finger after this one

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:23:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I wonder if it had been the UN that was hit and taken down, would it have taken them 5 years to even break ground for a replacement, or would we already be looking at a new building standing on the foundation of the old structure?

They would have taken your house, city block, etc via Eminent Domain and built anew there..... just because they could.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:58:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Remember THIS "memorial"?

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:23:23 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Remember THIS "memorial"?

worldnetdaily.com/images2/93memorial.jpg

Yeah, I remember clearly. Did we put an end to that shit or what?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They would have taken your house, city block, etc via Eminent Domain and built anew there..... just because they could.

I live 4 hours away; that would be a heck of a building.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:50:17 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I live 4 hours away; that would be a heck of a building.

Well, I know you were talking about foundational rebuilding, but I was talking about them just building over your site our of spite.

Because, you know, a peace officer without a blue helmet is just another subject........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top