Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 6:47:42 PM EDT
Was coming back from the Reno Hilton funshow yesterday afternoon, and the CHP was holding traffic at the chain control point out of South Lake Tahoe due to a fatal traffic accident on Hwy 50 a few down the west side from the summit.

Hwy 50 between S Lake Tahoe and Pollock Pines is mostly only 2 lanes, with occasional passing lanes, and goes over Echo summit at 7000 feet. It's been snowing on and off for most of the last week, with chain controls up almost constantly. (4x4 with snow tires ok, all others must use chains) Even with the passing lanes, there's basically only one clear lane on either side because few vehicles go into the snow and ice covered passing lanes. Sunday afternoons this time of year produce virtually bumper to bumper traffic as people leave the S Lake Tahoe areas.

So, according to the CHP, some dipsh*t in a SUV, apparently in a big hurry to shorten his trip by 5 minutes, swerved out into the passing lane going to fast, lost control, and ran into a vehicle heading the other direction head on. Those people went to the hospital.

Fortunately, only the driver of the SUV was killed by his stupidity.

As I, my GF, my son and his GF sat for 2 hours waiting for the road to be reopened, my GF said something very profound....

"Waiting isn't so bad. At least we get to go home tonight, 3 people won't be going home for a few days, and one person will never go home again".
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:50:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Stupid hurts
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Dollars to doughnuts the SUV driver wasn't from the area and didn't know shit about driving in snow.  "Hey, I've got an SUV, I can go anywhere!"

I got my Xterra sideways twice on the I-90 this winter between MT and ID (3 o'clock in the morning - no one around).  ANY panic in those situations and you're going to end up wrecked and taking anyone nearby with you.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:01:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I remember reading a poster when taking flying lessons:  "Better to arrive late in this world than early in the next."
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#4]
It always amazes me how fast people will drive in the snow.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It always amazes me how fast people will drive in the snow.

Ha!!!, tell Me about it!

Try living in the North where people still think it's cool to try to go 70+mph whenever it snows........While I was (Barely) doing 30mph in a 4x4 (in FWD).

Just because they can get going fast, doesn't mean that they >Should< get going fast.....

Every year, in fact several times a year, I see these Idiots on the local roads & highways.

It's amazing that they are still around to breed......I guess they should thank all of the vehicle engineers that keep them that way....Despite themselves.

Tall Shadow
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top