Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 5:07:55 PM EDT
I saw a recreation of the Kennedy assassination on the Discovery channel the other week.

To see how much a bullet deforms, they shot it through a log at very close range(a few yards.) The bullet was relatively undamaged when recovered, in fact it looked almost pristine.

When they shot a simulated human torso at a distance of 70 yards or so, the bullet struck a "bone"(I believe it was a pig's bone.) The bullet deformed quite a bit.

My question is: why does a bullet deform to a lesser degree when fired at very close range into wood than it does from glancing off a bone at much greater distance?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:12:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably because wood is less dense than bone. Or at least most wood.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:11:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I saw a recreation of the Kennedy assassination on the Discovery channel the other week.

To see how much a bullet deforms, they shot it through a log at very close range(a few yards.) The bullet was relatively undamaged when recovered, in fact it looked almost pristine.

When they shot a simulated human torso at a distance of 70 yards or so, the bullet struck a "bone"(I believe it was a pig's bone.) The bullet deformed quite a bit.

My question is: why does a bullet deform to a lesser degree when fired at very close range into wood than it does from glancing off a bone at much greater distance?

The bullet had an opportunity to yaw (turn sideways) going through Kennedy & Connally.

The bullet fired into the log never yawed...it remained point-forward, so it didn't get squeezed like a tube of toothpaste in its penetration
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top