Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2006 4:36:11 PM EDT
Ok, my wife wanted me to ask why did the .gov guy say to day that people should stock up on canned tuna and powdered milk because of the impending "bird flu epidemic."  

Why canned tuna and powdered milk?

BTW, I searched the Bird flu threads and didn't see any mention of this.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:40:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Dupe, but they keep you from starving when you have to bug in to avoid a avian flu mutation that kills 15% or so (if we're lucky) of the people who get it.

Holy shit they are exercising us members of the public. Incompetence has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt that's for sure.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:40:56 PM EDT
[#2]
He should have said canned goods and long term food in general.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:44:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Walmart has Starkist tuna in water 64 cents a can.  Pretty good deal.

A little pickle relish and a dab of mayo...mmmmm.....

I eat two or three aday....throw in a banana and half an apple or orange, maybe some veggies, and your in the Zone.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:46:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Dupe, but they keep you from starving when you have to bug in to avoid a avian flu mutation that kills 15% or so (if we're lucky) of the people who get it.

Holy shit they are exercising us members of the public. Incompetence has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt that's for sure.

Not quite sure what you mean by this, but I am far from incompetent on how to keep my family from starving.   I'm a hunter, no one will ever go hungry at my house, no matter how bad things get, food wise.  I live in a sparsely populated area.

It seems to me that there are more options than just "tuna and milk", or is this the preferred SHTF diet?

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:46:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the current theory is that the flu is spread through airborne droplets from the nose and mouth, the bird flu would probably spread the same way.  Therefore you don't want to congregate in areas where is a lot of people.  Grocery stores being one of them.  If you have a lot of food there would be no need to go to a grocery store. and encounter other people.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:50:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Everyone should keep 20-30 cans of tuna, 2-3 cases of ramen noodles, 4 or 5 cases of bottled water, etc. on hand.

I've got a water source (river) within 300 yards of my home, so I don't worry too much about water.  I've got enough food on hand to last 2-3 weeks, probably a little more with rationing.

I do need to do some work on my gas stoves though.

Need 223 and 9mm ammo, but money is tight.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not quite sure what you mean by this, but I am far from incompetent on how to keep my family from starving.   I'm a hunter, no one will ever go hungry at my house, no matter how bad things get, food wise.  I live in a sparsely populated area.

It seems to me that there are more options than just "tuna and milk", or is this the preferred SHTF diet?

Gun owners are all good in my book. I was speaking of the JBT's confiscating guns while other die in their hospital beds (and elsewhere) post Katrina.

That Argentinian writer who was on the survival forum loved tuna (pie too). Even loved the fishy "juice" on lettuce. That is hungry.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#8]
We have two going already. Try search.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#9]
We have two going already. Try search.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top