Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2006 11:22:35 AM EDT
Local FOP holding gun safety classes

By Tiffany Cannon
Monday, March 13, 2006 8:23 AM CST

The local chapter of the Fraternal Order of Police, Smith-Dale Lodge 31, will start taking applications for a Citizen's Firearm Safety Course. The course is designed to educate people in the proper handling and firing of their personal handgun. It will also address other concerns such as proper maintenance and cleaning of handguns and will include both classroom time and firing range time.

"If people choose to own and/or carry a handgun, we feel it is important that they become familiar with the correct way to handle them," said Jay Edwards, President of the Smith-Dale Lodge.

"The course will start in a classroom setting and end with the participants on a firing range, utilizing what they have learned. They will be instructed and supervised by certified firearms instructors at all times."

Applicants will be required to furnish their own handgun, fifty rounds of ammunition, pistol permit, cleaning kit and transportation to the classroom and firing range. The cost of the Citizen Firearm Safety Course will be $25.

"This is just another way the local Fraternal Order of Police is striving to serve the people of Chilton County," Edwards said.

The first class will be held on Saturday, March 25 with class size limited to the first 25 applications received. Additional classes will be held each following month. If weather does not permit participants to go to the firing range, the class will still be held and the firing range time will be rescheduled.

This is my old FOP Lodge putting this on. Damn JBT's.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Hard to get angry at that!

Two things though. Pistol permit? WTF is that?

50 rounds? Is the range time only 10 minutes, or what?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

If this is a real question.
Pistol permits are still found in the South.  They are Jim Crowe laws that require you to make an application with the Sheriff for permission to buy a handgun.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pistol permits are still found in the South.  They are Jim Crowe laws that require you to make an application with the Sheriff for permission to buy a handgun.

Not here. Fill out a 3x5 card, send in your $20 and few days later your CCW permit is in your hand.

The Mrs received her permit about a month ago. Put her application in the mail on Tuesday, permit in her hand on Friday.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:47:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If this is a real question.

Nah, it was a jab. And ya, I know about the Jim Crowe laws. I actually bring them up when attempting to explain the difference between legislative intent and literal interpretation. I.e. "What the legislators meant, don't mean shit if it ain't what they wrote". I say this with my best southern accent.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:51:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Subnet- add a "you all" to that and you all could pass.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm actually thinking about signing the Mrs up for this class.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:58:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Subnet- add a "you all" Y'all to that and you all could pass.

Fixed it - ya damnyankee!
BTW.... I grew up in the northernmost of the contiguous states, so I am quite qualified to know what a damnyankee is  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:04:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Well at least you spelled "damnyankee" right.

Y'all is the familiar rendition.

You All is the more formal use.

I had a yawl once. Wish I still did.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:07:57 PM EDT
[#9]
You should sign up for it as well and see how good of a job they do.  I have read several reports of "classes" on arfcom, some were a joke, some were good.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Lemme see if I get this.

You want me to learn the safe operation of a handgun from a LEO ?

Oh man, that's what i'll do.

HS1
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Lemme see if I get this.

You want me to learn the safe operation of a handgun from a LEO ?

Oh man, that's what i'll do.

HS1

They are the only ones professional enough.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You should sign up for it as well and see how good of a job they do.  I have read several reports of "classes" on arfcom, some were a joke, some were good.

I might go and observe.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#13]
When I got mine the Sheriff's secretary called NCIC, and then typed it up and handed it to me.  Where they doing this, Clanton?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:59:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
When I got mine the Sheriff's secretary called NCIC, and then typed it up and handed it to me.  Where they doing this, Clanton?

Yep.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:03:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I might go and observe.

Based on some of the firearms proficiency I've seen exibited from
LEOs, I'd say you are probably just as, if not more than qualified
to teach the same materiel they do.

That said, one can never have too much training.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:12:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I might go and observe.

I did the firearms training at my department.

I've taught the wife but I would like for her to some instruction from someone other than me.

Besides it's only $25 and I like the idea of her having some type of official training.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:45:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I might go and observe.

Knowing a subject and being very proficinet in it is very different than teaching that subject - this goes for any subject and is not limited to firearms.

While I am more proficient in shooting than most others I see at the range, I would have a difficult time teaching my wife. There's too much other history that interferes with a student/teacher relationship. I have seen this almost every time I observed a guy trying to teach his girlfriend how to (shoot, scuba, drive, etc...).

Formal training is a good thing, and the trainer does not have to be a world-class shooter to teach a basic course. Knowing how to teach would be more important.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top