Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2006 11:17:25 AM EDT
Shit....MSNBC has this on a banner on their home page right now.......no details yet......this is not what this state, or this country needs right now.........
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I had better stock up on 12 gauge slugs for putting down cows.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like they are trying to find out if the cow was born before 1997, when the feed ban went into place, just like the previous 2 confirmed cases. If not, this could be bad.....
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#3]
 media hype.   move along.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:30:59 AM EDT
[#4]
One cow.  Yawn.

One thousand cows and I'll take notice.

Ten thousand cows and I'll sit up and get excited.

John
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
One cow.  Yawn.

John

+1

My only real concern would be the effect on Canada and Japan's imports.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Stop feeding them cow brains.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:34:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
One cow.  Yawn.

John

+1

My only real concern would be the effect on Canada and Japan's imports.

Fuckem. Cheaper meat for us.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:40:48 AM EDT
[#8]
unfortunately...thats not the way it works..

the cattle market is a funny thing.

cattlemen have to make money..otherwise they dont raise them...
feed companies...go out of business..
corn market goes down..

this year we have a tremendous drought..
cattlemen all over OK and TX are selling off herds.

its a total bitch..

we need the world market to help us gain...what we lost originally.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#9]

I guess that means that nobody who has lived in the U.S. can donate blood from now on?

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Better be saving those slugs for capping zombies comming after you foaming from the mouth due to the mad cow meat they had eaten.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

No shit. How long have they known this was a problem?  Short-term gain for long-term problem.  Stop f-ing up cows because I like steak.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:48:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Better be saving those slugs for capping zombies comming after you foaming from the mouth due to the mad cow meat they had eaten.

I will just buy several cases.  I prefer 00 buck or the AR for putting down zombies, faster follow-up shot if I miss their heads.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:48:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Someone broke a case of mad cow disease?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:51:26 AM EDT
[#14]
its just media hype, some says OMG that cow is really frigged up, then the media here something o the radio and they turn it all around and go puzzle a story together that they thik will catch the American audience and their ratings go up  

I like how Templar223 said it the most
One cow. Yawn.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:06:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

They don't move as fast as deer, but man, dragging one back to cow camp is a BITCH!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:12:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
its just media hype, some says OMG that cow is really frigged up, then the media here something o the radio and they turn it all around and go puzzle a story together that they thik will catch the American audience and their ratings go up  

I like how Templar223 said it the most
One cow. Yawn.

Problem is, ONE cow can mean that U.S. beef exports are banned to a lof of countries that otherwise buy beef from us.  

So it is an important issue, beyond just danger to consumers.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:13:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They don't move as fast as deer, but man, dragging one back to cow camp is a BITCH!

The trick is to jump on its back, and RIDE it back to camp - and THEN shoot it.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#18]
There are 1000's of other things that we should be worried about.

They got mad cow and the bird flu.

Whats next? Happy Fish Syndrome?

Once the retrial of the poor andrea yates or the senator who wants to move forward on Censure of the POTUS, they will be covering that and forget about everything else.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Wait.... isn't Hillary supposed to be in Alabama this week?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:47:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Stop feeding them chicken crap ( yes, actual feces) from chickens that were fed cow brains, spines, and entrails...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stop feeding them chicken crap ( yes, actual feces) from chickens that were fed cow brains, spines, and entrails...

Also, the MEAT is not infected.  You have to eat the cow brains or spinal matter to get the disease.

ETA:  From the CDC about the UK:

Nevertheless, in the UK, the current risk of acquiring vCJD from eating beef and beef products appears to be extremely small, perhaps about 1 case per 10 billion servings. In the other countries of the world, this current risk, if it exists at all, would not likely be any higher than that in the UK if BSE-related, public health control measures are being well implemented. Such measures would be especially important in a country such as Portugal, which has a relatively high incidence rate of reported BSE.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Latest studies have shown that even the blood may carry prions.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Also, the MEAT is not infected.  You have to eat the cow brains or spinal matter to get the disease.

So beef hot dogs are out right?  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#24]
the issue is bigger than just feeding them animal parts..into their food.

that is 1 aspect.

this disease happens in the wild and in other situations in the market place.

look up some of the data the USDA has compiled.
1 research place had animals becoming sick after being completely cleansed, sterlized and dormant for like 5 years.

there are several what ifs..about mad cow..CJD new varient as well as CWD in deer.
truth be told even the experts can only guesstimate.
dont beleive everything you read in the papers...on this.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:39:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Waiting for the Japanese to again stop meat shipments from the US...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:47:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Waiting for the Japanese to again stop meat shipments from the US...

Already has happened about a month ago.
There was an agreement that if spinal, brain, and other high prion matter was removed in a way that would not contaminate the meat Japan would buy it.
This was in one of the first shipments from America.

Having lived in England for about 8 years, I don't worry much about mad cow disease, but I would be gritty pissed off about this blant breach of contract
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#27]
So this is kind of a reverse zombie movie.   Eating brains makes you into a zombie.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:51:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#29]
I saw several case of Mad Cow when I was in Alabama. It was right after I told the drunk bitch to leave me the hell alone and I didn't want to dance with her elephant ass.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:26:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
the issue is bigger than just feeding them animal parts..into their food.

that is 1 aspect.

this disease happens in the wild and in other situations in the market place.

look up some of the data the USDA has compiled.
1 research place had animals becoming sick after being completely cleansed, sterlized and dormant for like 5 years.

there are several what ifs..about mad cow..CJD new varient as well as CWD in deer.
truth be told even the experts can only guesstimate.
dont beleive everything you read in the papers...on this.

Yep, referred to as sporadic BSE and CWD...
Ferrets can get it too.
Sheep get scrapie...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
unfortunately...thats not the way it works..

the cattle market is a funny thing.

cattlemen have to make money..otherwise they dont raise them...
feed companies...go out of business..
corn market goes down..

this year we have a tremendous drought..
cattlemen all over OK and TX are selling off herds.

its a total bitch..

we need the world market to help us gain...what we lost originally.

muddydog with the clutch, hivemind expert response, I love arfcom
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:37:01 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
[Also, the MEAT is not infected.  You have to eat the cow brains or spinal matter to get the disease.

Except I've seen T-bones and porterhouse steaks that still have chunks of spinal cord material in the bone.

IF it is an infected cow, it wouldn't be a stretch for a few prions to be on your meat in such a case.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[Also, the MEAT is not infected.  You have to eat the cow brains or spinal matter to get the disease.

Except I've seen T-bones and porterhouse steaks that still have chunks of spinal cord material in the bone.

IF it is an infected cow, it wouldn't be a stretch for a few prions to be on your meat in such a case.

Not to mention cross contamination during slaughter...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to mention cross contamination during slaughter...

Exactly.  What is the first thing a slaughter house does?  It's cuts the cow straight down the backbone.  The next cow that comes along gets put on the same table and has same saw used on it and then get's stored in the cooler bumping into the first cow all the way along the assembly line.

As for this case being just "one cow" that may not be true.  Less than 1% of US beef is tested for mad cow.  Only when a problem cow is found is there testing done.  It could be this is just "one cow" or maybe the guy imported a herd from Canada.  It will take a couple days before they trace back to figure out how the cow got mad cow.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#35]
so even if you cook it well done your screwed?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Spam is tasty. Spam is cheap. Spam isn't avian and it isn't bovine. Useless to ROPs. The perfect food for the 21st Century.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Yup. Prions aren't your friend.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Hong Kong has now announced that they will stop importing US beef for an undefined period of time.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup. I recall hearing about a few cows they found that had it.  They incinerated the cows, upwards of 1000 degrees.  When you simple added water to the ashes the prions were back in business.

What happens is this prion travels through your blood, finding your brain.  Then this little prion joins/bonds with other prions on your brain, or the cows brain that would otherwise be harmless.  The bad prion then is able to modify the good prion into itself.  Now you have two in your head.  Now you have 4, 8, 16, etc.

The end result is Spongiform Encephalopathy- literally meaning Holes in the Brain.  Like a sponge.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup. I recall hearing about a few cows they found that had it.  They incinerated the cows, upwards of 1000 degrees.  When you simple added water to the ashes the prions were back in business.

What happens is this prion travels through your blood, finding your brain.  Then this little prion joins/bonds with other prions on your brain, or the cows brain that would otherwise be harmless.  The bad prion then is able to modify the good prion into itself.  Now you have two in your head.  Now you have 4, 8, 16, etc.

The end result is Spongiform Encephalopathy- literally meaning Holes in the Brain.  Like a sponge.

Virtually indestructible by conventional means, only prolonged exposure to extreme heat and powerful acids can destroy them...

They "live" more or less forever too.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:26:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Must eat more Chicken.

signed,

Angus
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:29:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Chickens are fed the parts of cows that are most likely to be infected with BSE.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:39:52 PM EDT
[#43]
To bad all the meat is not free-range raised.hinking.gif
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:02:22 PM EDT
[#44]
<Sam Elliot> "Spongiform encephalitis,it's what's for dinner.<Sam Elliot>
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#45]
i get alot of info since we own a veterinary reference laboratory.

we have been watching deer herds with it for over 20 years.

the Ft Collins Co area was ground zero..
you know where alot of states got deer for transplantation projects...
yep..

Colorado was generous enough to spread the love.
OK and numerous other states welcomed the deer with open arms back in the 50-70's.

the prion based disease is something to behold..
the pathogen gets into the ground..into the feed... anything..then mutates once inside the host.

the one paper that was the most comprehensive was out of MSU i believe. that was the research project that went all to hell..

5-10 years after superfund like cleaning and dormancy of the facility..the new animals were testing positive.

amazing..

all it takes is one sloppy butcher..to cross contaminate a shitload of carcasses..( ie..your sirloin, T bone and other fine cuts, not to mention thousands of tons of ground beef)
for those of you who dont know alot about commerical cattle ..

it is a beast all its own..
3-4 companies carry out 90% of all commerical slaughter. we are talking about a feedlot with 10,000 slaughter steers and cows.

i have seen some where 20,000 head were in the lots or moving into them.

alot of the butchers in these houses are from south of the border..dont really give a shit..and i imagine can get pretty sloppy real quick..

first cow gets a half assed job on the spine removal..

bingo..

400 cattle are cross contaminated before lunch, maybe even the first break of the morning.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:27:51 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
One cow.  Yawn.

John

The problem is that this maybe the tip of the iceberg, I don't know.  There is so little known about this disease.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:31:35 AM EDT
[#47]
muddydog: I a watched PBS documentatary, a scientist buried prions in the ground, and it remained active for a year when he dug it up again.  He said that there is only way to kill a prion, and that was to incinerate it at 900ºF(BTW: this the melting pt of the metal lead for you non-bullets casting shooter).
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:26:59 AM EDT
[#48]
i know..i have read some articles that defy logic on this subject.
way back in college i had to help out on some wildlife studies..basically ripping out brains at check stations for deer that looked..unhealthy.

i have killed 1 deer in my life that was wierd...i mean looked emaciated..walked funny..a failure to thrive type situation..
he was a 1.5-2.5 year old  4pt.

i culled him and did a fairly good going over on the carcass ( not to eat) but just to see what the deal was and saw NO internal issues..
i did not crack the skull..i burned everything..in a old 55 gallon drum

a prion is like the wicked space alien bug..sent to destroy life for the coming masses of aliens.

we are very careful now on cleaning and butchering our deer..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top