Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/13/2006 10:14:05 AM EDT
Tell me about living in Boise Idaho, Medford Oregon and Colorado Springs Colorado.
The family is sick of the bay area in California and are thinking about moving to one of the above places. So if you live there I’d love to hear what you think of them. We don’t need much just looking for a nice neighborhood to raise our daughter and we can’t find that around here. Things we like are hiking, camping, having stores reasonably close, decent weather (not too cold and not raining all the time), letting our daughter walk to school without fear of her getting abducted, good schools, not having shitty traffic, and we would really love to goto subway and having the employees speak English.
So tell me what you like or dislike about where you live.
thanks
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about the others, but medford is pretty close to all of those things.  Do you have a job lined up?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:17:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I have lived my whole life in the Treasure Valley of Idaho. If you can find a job that supports your standard of living it is fantastic. One tip though, live east of where you work. Traffic is my specialty.

Skiing is less than 30 minutes away, hiking can be out your door if you live along the foothills. Schools are OK, Homeschooling laws are the most liberal in the country. Hunting is good. I saw about 100 deer in the foothills just out of town last week during my flight. Also, my family including my grand parents all moved here from California thirty years ago for just the same reason.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:18:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know about the others, but medford is pretty close to all of those things.  Do you have a job lined up?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:18:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Medford is a liberal shit hole. Idaho and Colorado are nice. Try them!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:22:10 AM EDT
[#5]
To be perfectly honest with you, you don't need to leave California to meet the requirements you listed (you didn't mention needing to buy new pistol gripped rifles).

Move to Sonora, or most anywhere in the Sierra foothills.

1. The weather is nice. It rarely snows (lower elevations) and it doesn't rain alot.
2. You are REALLY close to some of the best hiking/camping areas in the United States.
3. There are plenty of stores nearby. Hell, Sonora even has a Wal Mart.
4. Crime is practically non-existant, though I hear jaywalking has some departments up in arms.
5. There are no traffic jams.
6. Everbody speaks English.

7. (...and you didn't hear this from me) Nobody gives a rat's ass whether you're packing, or if you enjoy shooting your unregistered assault rifle in your back yard.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You confusing Medford with Ashland?  I don't remember seeing many Kerry bumperstickers last time I went to Medford, but Fat_McNasty would know better than I.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:23:44 AM EDT
[#7]
If you like trees, move to Medford.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:27:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You confusing Medford with Ashland?  I don't remember seeing many Kerry bumperstickers last time I went to Medford, but Fat_McNasty would know better than I.

Everything south of Vancouver in the valley and along the i-5 corridor is libville!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Everything south of Vancouver in the valley and along the i-5 corridor is libville!

I can't really argue with that!  

I'm in Multnomah county so everywhere else in this state seems relatively conservative.  

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:14:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't really argue with that!  

I'm in Multnomah county so everywhere else in this state seems relatively conservative.  

Roger that!

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:23:41 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Tell me about living in Boise Idaho, Medford Oregon and Colorado Springs Colorado.
The family is sick of the bay area in California and are thinking about moving to one of the above places. So if you live there I’d love to hear what you think of them. We don’t need much just looking for a nice neighborhood to raise our daughter and we can’t find that around here. Things we like are hiking, camping, having stores reasonably close, decent weather (not too cold and not raining all the time), letting our daughter walk to school without fear of her getting abducted, good schools, not having shitty traffic, and we would really love to goto subway and having the employees speak English.
thanks

I would say you would have to cross boise of that list with what you said you needed in your last sentances.If you think Idaho is a utopia your mistaken. Stay in Kali!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:26:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I live just north of medford and I love it here. Great area for motorcycles, ATV, Hiking, Fishing, Hunting, Skiing/Boarding. Medford is big enough to have alot of shoping, not too much and still growing. Employment would be the corncern as the cost of live, although not cali high, is pretty high. Hard to find a nice area/home under 300k. I could (don't) leave my vehicles and home unlocked if I chose to. I live in a very safe neighborhood and the people are very friendly. I moved here a bit over a year ago from Grants Pass. If you need any other info just PM me.

I also lived in denver for 5 years. I left there 5 years ago. IMO stay out of the city and look to the areas like Arvada 10 mins to downtown and 10 mins to the mountains, very nice area and only left there due to a family illness.
Steve
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:27:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I lived in Medford in 1989 & 90.

It  has changed a lot since then.

However:

- good climate.   Very little snow, gone quickly.  

- hot in the summer, but pretty dry heat

- they do get air inversions in the winter, about month of foggy crap

- lot's of wood burning, can be a PIA when the air is hanging low

- good, small college to the south in Ashland

- good skiing in Ashland

- lot's of Califorinicators

- lot's of old folks

- low wages

- expensive property

- can't pump your own gasoline legally

- some real rednecky, trashy areas

- long way from "real cities" - portland 4 hours, san fran 5 hrs

- I wouldn't live in Medford again.   Get outside of that town.

- some great resturants in the area

- some good cultural stuff - concerts, shakespeare, etc...

- it's pronounced "OrY-gun"

- pretty good gun laws

- good rafting in the area

- you are trapped in the valleys in the winter if you only have a sportscar

I still work for the largest private employer in Grants Pass  (1/2 hr north)
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:31:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I live just north of medford and I love it here. Great area for motorcycles, ATV, Hiking, Fishing, Hunting, Skiing/Boarding. Medford is big enough to have alot of shoping, not too much and still growing. Employment would be the corncern as the cost of live, although not cali high, is pretty high. Hard to find a nice area/home under 300k. I could (don't) leave my vehicles and home unlocked if I chose to. I live in a very safe neighborhood and the people are very friendly. I moved here a bit over a year ago from Grants Pass. If you need any other info just PM me.

I also lived in denver for 5 years. I left there 5 years ago. IMO stay out of the city and look to the areas like Arvada 10 mins to downtown and 10 mins to the mountains, very nice area and only left there due to a family illness.
Steve

Pfffttt! And you call yourself an oregonian! You are supposed to fend off evil Calis not invite them in!!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Colorado Springs is a frozen wasteland, you don't want to move here.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:52:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Steve

Pfffttt! And you call yourself an oregonian! You are supposed to fend off evil Calis not invite them in!!!

damn. wel i do have a truck, atv and lots of guns. so im not  a real claifornian. and  a job isnt too important as i can pay cash for a house.
anyone from the boise area?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:02:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Steve

damn. wel i do have a truck, atv and lots of guns. so im not  a real claifornian. and  a job isnt too important as i can pay cash for a house.

Well in that case, welcome to OR. Just make sure you tell your freinds you moved to ID!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Steve

Well in that case, welcome to OR. Just make sure you tell your freinds you moved to ID!

Cape, you're not related to Tom McCall are you [were you?]  We need to put our signs back up.  "Wecome to Oregon, enjoy you visit but please do not stay!"
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

CO Springs rocks.  Kinda highpriced stuff sometimes but other than the high cost of housing and emissions testing, it is awesome.

If a house the size of our $130k house where I live, didnt cost $195k in CO springs in a cookie-cutter suburbanite housing nightmare, I would probably move there.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:34:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Steve

Cape, you're not related to Tom McCall are you [were you?]  We need to put our signs back up.  "Wecome to Oregon, enjoy you visit but please do not stay!"

No but I like the way he thought!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

What have you been smokin'?

Colorado Springs has everything you want.

Easy gun laws.
Easy CCW.
Pretty sceinary.
Places to hike.
Places to fish.
Places to camp.
Places to ski.

Tax base and cost of living are not outrageous.
District 20 schools, Northern El Paso County are the best.
Conservative for the most part.

You'll like it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Oregon - No Sales Tax  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Oregon - No Sales Tax  

yeah but lots of rain
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Easy gun laws.
Easy CCW.
Pretty sceinary.
Places to hike.
Places to fish.
Places to camp.
Places to ski.

You'll like it.

yeah i have a buddy that lives there and he loves it. Im just worried about it being too cold in the winter. I guess ill have to go check it out. still thinking about boise because the weather is nicer.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll bet our winters are milder then Boise.

This winter has been really mild.

Check out the weather channel web page or something, and do a comparison. Or the online almanac thingys.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:10:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Real estate prices in Medford have gone out of control. Lots of retired California types are cashing out their equity and moving to southern Oregon. Finding a job can be dicey, depending on what you do.

There's a ton of national forest and wilderness a short drive away on both sides of the valley. Medford is the major regional town in southern Oregon, and the biggest town between Redding and maybe Roseburg or Eugene, so it's got a lot of stores and such.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I'll bet our winters are milder then Boise.

This winter has been really mild.

Check out the weather channel web page or something, and do a comparison. Or the online almanac thingys.

yeah did that. co springs is on average a lot colder especially in the winter. 4 months out of the year it is below freezing well on the average lows at least
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#28]
well if you decide to come this way let me know and I will hook you up with some places to go.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Steve

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:34:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Oregon - No Sales Tax  

Can't pump your own gas
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:03:51 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Easy gun laws.
Easy CCW.
Pretty sceinary.
Places to hike.
Places to fish.
Places to camp.
Places to ski.

You'll like it.

Hehe.....he was saying it so people wouldnt move there.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:30:27 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Don't know about Cape, but...

I was born and raised in Oregon, and I've lived in Boise. We're moving back there within a year, or until they pass this in-car GPS bullshit, whichever comes first.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:27:36 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Easy gun laws.
Easy CCW.
Pretty sceinary.
Places to hike.
Places to fish.
Places to camp.
Places to ski.

You'll like it.

Oh good point!

Its terrible here. Dont' come. Don't come. You'll hate it. Its high mountain desert. Nothing to see here. Nothing to see. Those other places are better. Good luck!

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:31:20 AM EDT
[#33]
I live just northwest of Medford and it's a great place to live.
Pros
Weather is mild.
No sales tax.
Summer Steelhead flyfishing.

Cons
Liberals are within rifleshot.
High property costs.
Driving downtown is congested.  Go around.
Limited employment.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:41:42 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't know about Cape, but...

I was born and raised in Oregon, and I've lived in Boise. We're moving back there within a year, or until they pass this in-car GPS bullshit, whichever comes first.

<---- Born and raised Never lived in ID but have lived in MT and if the sleepy little town I lived in for a couple year back in the early 80s was still a sleepy little town, I would move back.

But, OR is home and if you can find a good job then settle in and enjoy what the state has to offer.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:46:04 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Oregon - No Sales Tax  

Can't pump your own gas

That is a good thing!

Its funny how people bitch about not being able to pump your own gas. "Takes to long" seems to be the biggest complaint. I can only think of a few times were I would have gotten out of a station faters pumping myself. Then there is the price issue. I live near the border of the state and know for a fact the the gas accross the river is not cheaper then here. The only difference, they have to pump their own. May sound fun to some of you but when its 30 out and the wind is blowing 45mph pumping my own gas doesnt sound like such a great deal.

When on a bike I can pump it and thats the only time I think it matters to me.
CH
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:52:13 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Oregon - No Sales Tax  

Can't pump your own gas

That is a good thing!

Its funny how people bitch about not being able to pump your own gas. "Takes to long" seems to be the biggest complaint. I can only think of a few times were I would have gotten out of a station faters pumping myself. Then there is the price issue. I live near the border of the state and know for a fact the the gas accross the river is not cheaper then here. The only difference, they have to pump their own. May sound fun to some of you but when its 30 out and the wind is blowing 45mph pumping my own gas doesnt sound like such a great deal.

When on a bike I can pump it and thats the only time I think it matters to me.
CH

No kidding.  I really do not see the thrill of getting all smelly with gasoline.  I've filled my fair share times in Washington State and the price isn't cheaper, the time at the pump isn't quicker and you still have to go inside a good majority of the time to pay [as often as Oregon at least].

So you self pumpers have at it.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:09:35 AM EDT
[#37]
What's the reasoning behind not allowing people to pump themselves?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:24:15 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

IBTPYOGC!
In
Before
The
Pump
Your
Own
Gas
Crusaders
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:30:06 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Thier elected officials don't trust the citizenry with something as complicated as pumping gasoline. If there's a better explanation, I'd love to hear it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:31:37 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thier elected officials don't trust the citizenry with something as complicated as pumping gasoline. If there's a better explanation, I'd love to hear it.

Yea thats it
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:34:57 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Easy gun laws.
Easy CCW.
Pretty sceinary.
Places to hike.
Places to fish.
Places to camp.
Places to ski.

You'll like it.

Oh good point!

Its terrible here. Dont' come. Don't come. You'll hate it. Its high mountain desert. Nothing to see here. Nothing to see. Those other places are better. Good luck!

Haha.  

Where you live at?  In CO Springs?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:36:34 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Easy gun laws.
Easy CCW.
Pretty sceinary.
Places to hike.
Places to fish.
Places to camp.
Places to ski.

You'll like it.

Oh good point!

I wish MORE out-of-state gunowners would move here to CO.
It might displace some of the liberal pansies and bliss-ninnies that have taken up residence here.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:38:57 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Medford is a liberal shit hole.

Yup, and overflowing with Mexicans and Cali imports.. But they have a really cool gunshop/gunsmith there!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:03:18 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Medford is a liberal shit hole.

Yup, and overflowing with Mexicans and Cali imports.. But they have a really cool gunshop/gunsmith there!!

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:06:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Well in that case, welcome to OR. Just make sure you tell your freinds you moved to CO

there i think i fixed it for ya cape
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:08:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Go to Arizona.  They'll welcome you with open arms.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:12:00 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Well in that case, welcome to OR. Just make sure you tell your freinds you moved to CO

there i think i fixed it for ya cape  awww jeepers, my internet FU is week
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Not to be rude but Colorado is about full up with Californians.

Texas is nice I hear.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:15:28 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
thanks

COS has all of that.  Well, except for the English speaking Subway employee.  They don't even have that in Boise.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:33:30 AM EDT
[#50]
I pump my own fuel every time I go to Oregon. New Jersey, too. But then again, I drive a commercial truck (diesel).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top