Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2006 9:07:47 AM EDT
So what is the prefered method? RRA NM upper? I use a bore snake and Clp on my standard AR's. My hunting rifles get the same. I have a varmint rifle that I use Butches Bore Shine with patches preceeded by Hoppes and brushes on a coated rod. I just bought a Tipton graphite rod. Seems like it should do the trick..

I also posted this in the Competition forum..  Just want to get a good cross section of methods used by you folks..

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:09:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I shoot a Glock and an AK. My guns don't need to be cleaned.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:15:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I dump mine in lakes when they need to be cleaned.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:15:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I shoot a Glock and an AK. My guns don't need to be cleaned.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Whats a cleaning routine?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:26:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I start at the range before I get home. I have a 3 piece rod I use to run a couple of patches with Hoppes thru and get most of the crap out. Then I soak one more and run it thru to let it work on the barrel till I get home. I have to break mine down to use the case, so I stuff a foam ear plug in the barrel and one in the chamber to keep solvent from leaking out.

When I get home I clamp the barrel in my bench and repeat the Hoppes drill till theres no more carbon. Then I run dry patches thru to remove the Hoppes and repeat the drill with Sweets 7.62 until the barrels clean. While the Sweets is working, I clean the lower, the bolt, etc.

I got one of the plastic tubes to run into the chamber. It has a solvent port you can squirt the Sweets into as the patch is inserted. Really cuts down on the mess.

I'll run one more patch with Hoppes down the barrel and a dry patch the next day, followed by one with CLP.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I generally start by washing my hair and work my way down from there, no baths only showers here.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:33:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Otis.  CLP.  15 minutes max
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:37:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Bore guide,. carbon rod.  Hoppes BR and followed by a CLP treatment.  I get all the copper out.

I never spend more than 15 minutes cleaning the bolt/carrier etc.  Dirt doesn't cause problems for me in these areas but in the bore, a little copper means much more.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:47:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Otis.  CLP.  15 minutes max

+1

Except with Militec.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:52:54 AM EDT
[#10]
A lot less often than I should.  

About every three range trips.

And I've had a touch of rust on my car gun for a month, and I still haven't gotten around to cleaning it.  

I'm so damn meticulous and slow, it takes me an hour to clean two rifles.  That's why I hate doing it so much.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:53:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Balls first then the pits...

oh....wait...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

oh....wait...

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:04:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

oh....wait...

hmmmmm, I shower top-down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top