Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2006 8:55:36 AM EDT
Yeah, back when I was in college, Ramen noodles (10/$1) were a staple.

I like to cook, and do a pretty good job, but still can't get over my addiction to the things.

Easy, quick, tasty.  

And, last time I hit a well stocked Oriental Store, I got some Udon noodles....DAMN, they are good.

Anyone else?

Got a favorite kind?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:02:06 AM EDT
[#1]
When I  left college, I promised myself I'd never again eat Hamburger Helper or Ramen Noodles.

It's been 5 years and I don't miss either.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:02:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Personally, I like noodles also, but there are many more different kinds of quick cook noodles than ramen and udon(japanese noodle).  At my last trip to an Asian supermarket, there is a 1/2 of one side of an asile way stocked with various instant noodles in many different flavors.  The problem is the mainstream supermarkets only stock maybe 5 different noode companies and maybe 10-15 different varieteis.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:07:46 AM EDT
[#3]
they put my son through college & He's still hooked...5yrs later...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I've found that the best kind are the ones you can only figure out what is in them by the pictures on the front.    I did learn to NOT use the whole red pepper package in most of them.

Never got much into Hamburger Helper.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:10:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Ramen is good while you are in college and then after, to remind you why you went to college.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:12:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Personally, I like noodles also, but there are many more different kinds of quick cook noodles than ramen and udon(japanese noodle).  At my last trip to an Asian supermarket, there is a 1/2 of one side of an asile way stocked with various instant noodles in many different flavors.  The problem is the mainstream supermarkets only stock maybe 5 different noode companies and maybe 10-15 different varieteis.

Is there much variety in flavors among the kinds that the Asian markets sell? All the supermarket chain stuff tastes pretty much the same.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:12:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I ate so much of that stuff in Japan last month!  There are these little noodle shops everywhere there and the stuff is just awesome!

Then you have the sushi restaraunts that have a conveyor and the sushi just passes around the "bar" and you grab what you want.  If that isn't there then you just ask the chef and he sets it up for you!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:13:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I recently rediscovered Ramen Noodles.

I love these things.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:21:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I ate so much of that stuff in Japan last month!  There are these little noodle shops everywhere there and the stuff is just awesome!

Then you have the sushi restaraunts that have a conveyor and the sushi just passes around the "bar" and you grab what you want.  If that isn't there then you just ask the chef and he sets it up for you!

Whenever I go to Japan I gain weight.  I love the food over there.  Have you tried gyoza?  Typical lunch where I was working was gyoza and ramen.  Dang now I am hungery.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:22:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Dose anyone else strain the water and just eat the noodles?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I have three current favorites:

1.  Korean instant noodles.  I think they are called kimchee noodles.  Very spicy stuff and very bad for you!  So bad that I gave them up for Lent.    About $1/pack when purchased individually

2,3.  Trader Joe's udon noodles.  They have two varieties.  About $3 per pack (frozen).  Add some freshly chopped scallions, sesame oil and some Vietnamese chili sauce and you're good to go.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whenever I go to Japan I gain weight.  I love the food over there.  Have you tried gyoza?  Typical lunch where I was working was gyoza and ramen.  Dang now I am hungery.  

Ate gyoza till my stomach hurt!  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:27:48 AM EDT
[#13]
At the Hong Kong Mall on Westheimer in Houston, you can buy dozens of different brands of Ramen noodles.

I like them but at my age (50) they have too much cholesterol and transfatty acids in them.  Yummy on the tummy but killer on the carotid.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:37:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Ramen noodles are good on a cold day with a few carrots and mushrooms thrown in.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:43:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I didn't know what gyoza was, so I looked it up on google, they look like they would be pretty good. I love dumplings and the like.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:45:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I didn't know what gyoza was, so I looked it up on google, they look like they would be pretty good. I love dumplings and the like.

You have no idea, lol!  They give you this soy/rice vinegar dressing...  Sooo good!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:27:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes.

I like the Thai and Korean varieties the best.

For variety and extra protein, pop in a raw egg and let it cook in with the noodles.  

Scallions, onions, tofu, and mandu (pot stickers), can also be added in addition to flavored oils.  Some packs come with a little oil packet already.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:02:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have no idea, lol!  They give you this soy/rice vinegar dressing...  Sooo good!

We ate them with soy-rice vinegar-chili oil mixture.  Dang those were good.  I haven't found any in the USA that were as good.  

Valkyrie where in Japan were you?  I spent some time in Fukushima prefecture ( south of Sendai ).

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:10:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I like the ones I get from the Asian Grocery Store.

taste alot better then the crap the chain stores have.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:13:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Yum!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top