User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 7:36:26 AM EDT
www.thepeoplescube.com/red/viewtopic.php?t=637

By Red Square
3/10/2006, 10:13 pm

Open letter #2 to Google from the People's Cube
(posted on Google.com Help Center at 8:30pm on March 10, 2006

"Out of sight, out of mind" - translated into Russian and then back into English, the idiom turns into "invisible lunatics." That also describes The People's Cube's search results in Google.
Dear comrades at Google:

At some point, quite recently, our popular site "The People's Cube" (ThePeoplesCube.com) was purged from Google search results. MSN , Yahoo and other search engines still have it - but Google has erased/blocked any link to the site in its database. One can still find links to us from other sites - but not even one from Google to ThePeoplesCube.com. We tried American, French, German, British, Australian, and Russian versions of Google - they used to give us traffic only a few days ago - but all we got was the same line in various languages: Sorry, no information is available for the URL thepeoplescube.com. And if we clicked on Find web pages from the site thepeoplescube.com we got Your search - site:thepeoplescube.com - did not match any documents.

~ The first time we saw this line it was written in Chinese - 对不起,找不到网址 thepeoplescube.com 的信息。 We used to look up The People's Cube for fun in the communist-censored Google China only weeks ago - and reported it on our site in a story called Google's Great Leap Forward. Of course our site was blocked by the Chinese government, with Google's consent, along with legions of other Western sites - but we couldn't imagine that only a few weeks later we would get the same results in English. The last time we checked we still lived in the United States - not China - but hey, whoever controls the information is the boss.

If it were a glitch in an algorithm it might throw our rankings back to the end of the line - but this is a total removal. We suspect it is also a deliberate removal - much in the spirit of 1984-style historical revisionism - removal of a "people's enemy" from life and history. Sergei Brin's Russian parents might tell him stories of people in Stalinist Russia disappearing, along with all their pictures and records. "Out of sight, out of mind" - translated into Russian and then back into English, the idiom turns into "invisible lunatics." That also describes The People's Cube's search results in Google.

We can only think of three reasons for this:

Google is retaliating against sites that ridiculed its Google China project.
Google has begun to implement its Google China policies in the rest of the free world.
A left-leaning Google employee who's got access to the database was suffering a nervous breakdown over the mockery of Marxism on our site, and so he or she dastardly removed/blocked The People's Cube, hoping to "improve" the public discourse by silencing the competition.
You tell me which one it is.

The People's Cube is a business corporation selling products on the Internet. A drop in traffic, caused by a malicious tempering with search results, has affected sales and that gives us grounds for you-know-what.

We'll start by posting this letter on our site and wait for your reply. We'll gladly drop the matter and similarly drop this post into the "memory hole" if we get a quick response from you and our high rankings in Google get immediately restored. An apology would be nice as well.

If you can, we'd appreciate if you pass the following word to our former compatriot Sergei Brin: "Seriozhka, konchai duraka valat' - bylo vremia kogda my toboi gordilis'!" (Sergie, stop making a fool out of yourself, we used to be proud of you!)

Keep the Cube rolling,
Comrade Red Square

APPENDIX I

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:41:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I tried to access Sportsmans Guide (I think) a couple of weeks ago. May have been CTD. Anyway after getting on the site I tried to look up some ammo and got a "Order from the Catalog" message. Came back here and linked thru the Ammo Price List in the AR-15/Ammunition forum. No problemo. All search engines suck to some degree. Least/worst I guess.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok, lets all get together and start our own CONSERVATIVE search engine.

www.Conservoogle.com

Then we can censor all the lefty wackos out!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:48:54 AM EDT
[#3]
They recently scrubbed my site from their searches, yet I'm still ranked and still in the db.  Not sure why.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:00:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I tried to access Sportsmans Guide (I think) a couple of weeks ago. May have been CTD. Anyway after getting on the site I tried to look up some ammo and got a "Order from the Catalog" message. Came back here and linked thru the Ammo Price List in the AR-15/Ammunition forum. No problemo. All search engines suck to some degree. Least/worst I guess.

Same thing happened to me.  If you search google for SG, the ammo ordering info and display does not show.  If you simply type the correct SG homepage in your browser, the ammo information shows up.  

Google must have the US confused with China.  What a$$holes!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:57:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Ummm, guys?  That's *NOT* what he's talking about.  Google has removed all traces of existence of his site from their search engine.

For example:

And:

Adding keywords that appear on the site doesn't turn up anything either.

By contrast, if you do a search using "site:ar15.com", you get tons of links to the site:

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:22:45 PM EDT
[#6]
So much for "don't be evil".
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Google is acting like its trying to help the Main Stream Media silence the internet, but why?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:43:06 PM EDT
[#8]
My guess is that as Google was doing their "scrub" for "The peoples Republic of China", they were caught in the mix.  Can you say "ooooooopppps".
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't trust google any more to give an honest search. I view them as a malicious idiot savant.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:43:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I doubt it's anything so sinister.
One thing I do know that will get a site booted from Google's listings is if the site uses methods that are intended (or appears to be intended) to boost its relevence index. This can be HTML code on the site (such as circular linking) or it can be things like click fraud (hiring click farms).

If the peoplescube was doing this (or appeared to be doing this) they may have been tossed out. But usually Google makes some attempt to contact the offending site before shooting.

(the interesting thing about click fraud is that anyone can do it to any site they want [or any site that they dislike!]--and therefore create the impression that the site is engaged in click fraud,,,, and get it rremoved from search engines)
~
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:53:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Why are you people whining?

Let me whip out my ARFCOM philosophy 101 book, page 2 "a private company can do whatever it wants, they have the right to list who they want or not" "if you dont like it dont use them, the market will solve all man kinds ills" "rights only apply in relationship to the Gov't" SO sayeth the great ARFCOM hive mind.

You know Mussolini once said that 'fascism' was nothing more then private enterprise in charge of Gov't. have a nice day.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:08:53 AM EDT
[#12]
They may not have read this and got booted.

www.google.com/webmasters/guidelines.html
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:41:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:05:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
They may not have read this and got booted.

www.google.com/webmasters/guidelines.html

That is why I prefer Google over Yahoo and other search engines...hard to get quality results due to all the trash sites...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:16:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Google censoring even more websites from their directory...who are they working for now?  

a) Google is a private company and can therefore do what they like with their search engine. Only governments can censor.

and

b) They are working for their shareholders
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top