Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2006 6:30:22 AM EDT
Okay, the premise is that 2 famlies, one black couple with a teenage son, and one white couple with a teenage daughter, "switch" racial features, and get jobs, and otherwise "live" as the other race, in the community (socially) etc. But they share a household. And assist eachother (allegedly) in the "experience" of being the other race.

I REALLY thought I'd be able to "tell" and some BEHAVIOR does give away the "real" race of the person. But APPEARANCE-wise... it's a TOUGH call. The white family, IMO, ALL "pass" in APPEARANCE as "black". The black teenage son in APPEARANCE passes 100%, IMO, but behavior, affectations he's not really even trying, but he LOOKS good.

I don't know, I'm not all that big on "reality" shows, but this one has me facinated.

The black MAN looks good as a black guy, but a a "white" guy, IMO he looks pretty dorky (I think his wife agrees). The black woman don't look like much , IMO as EITHER race, not UGLY, just not attractive, IMO.

The white man is a BIT of an ass, but I think he comes by it honest. I think he's well-meaning and GENERALLY a good guy... he's just lacking in some critical areas, IMO (but then so is the black guy - just in differing critical areas).

Anyway, I just thought it would be good GD fodder. Next showing is:
Wednesday 10pm (EST) on the FX channel, encore at 11pm. Replays Saturday at 10pm Encore at 11:06pm Saturday. (I don't get the 6 minute thing either, seems to be a "FOX" thing. Maybe a "cable" thing.)
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:32:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I would rather watch re-runs of old Pauly Shore movies.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:33:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I didn't watch it, but I am damn tired of seeing the previews for it while I am watching The Shield.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:37:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I watched it last nite...one observation I had was that the white family does seem to pull off looking black, the daughter especially, but the black family looks more oriental, especially the son. Of course, the son doesn't want to try sounding white so that won't help.

It was interesting and I agree with you. I don't watch very much reality crap, but I suspect this is the same as the other shows in that it is probably VERY edited and produced. I am leery of the final outcome and how truthful it really is.

It is entertaining so far though. I will watch it again to see if the black guy get his episode like the white guy seemed to this time.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:53:06 AM EDT
[#4]
There is simply no way I will degrade my IQ with such nonsense.  I'd rather jerk off my German Shepherd with a rouge cat without leather gloves.  

What strikes me as amazing, though not to my surprise, is how we are constantly reminded race should play no factor in life (a sentiment I wholly agree with), and yet here they are with a new "radical" () show devoted solely to the differences in racial qualities.  Somewhere, someone was paid to develop a show expousing the interest in deceitfulness and varying lifestyles, apply a reality tag, and say it is all in good fun.  Personally, I see no humor in it, nor do I feel any reason whatsoever to imbibe in the utter stupidity of the Hollyweird mindset.

I rate this equal to the Jerry Springer Show, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, and Fear Factor.  Just more input increasing the stupidity of a once proud nation based of principles of faith and honesty.

I don't berate you if you enjoy it--and, since you choose an alternative lifestyle, I can see it's appeasement--but I wonder what the attraction is (not that I care about your lifestyle, I am just musing as to why we would see it in such an opposite light).  Perhaps being a white, Christian male that is not homosexual or even sexually active blinds my sense of current labels of entertainment?  I just kind of feel like we are being singled out in these types of shows.  I don't demean blacks or homosexuals or aethists, yet people like me sure do seem to be the brunt of a lot of subtle beligerence.  It gets old defending myself for my altruistic values.

Thank God I'm not a cop, or I'd be accosted with nonsense non-stop as the one trait to demean I am currently missing.  Oh well, if you're into shows like that by all means enjoy it.  I won't be watching.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:54:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I watched half the first episode and had enough.  Everything on the show is a setup just to get reactions.  Like taking the white dad in black make up and sending him out to look at buying a car to see if he is treated different.  Where did they send him?  A buy here/ pay here lot complete with iron fence and razor wire.  Then he tells the saleman that he has bad credit.  Gee, do you think he might have a slightly difference experience than what he was used to?  At the end of the day when he reported back to the family he said the saleman was still nice to him, came out quickly, answered questions, and just said he would have to put more money down because of his bad credit.  He said in his opinion he was treated in the manner that he's been treated as a white person at a car dealer.  The real black dad got upset and said "well you haven't been black all you life so you didn't pick up on all the racism".  WTF, he might not have been black but he's white and he should have a pretty good idea if he's being treated the same as he always has been.  The the black dad as a white guy goes to expensive pro shop to buy a set of golf shoes and the salesmens helps him try on shoe.  His response is, "Wow, white people get all the perks, I've never had someone help me put on a shoe before".  WTF is that.  If the shoe store he shopped at is anywhere near the car dealer with the razor wire no wonder but when you go in to a high end store, it doesn't matter what color you are the salemen are always going to nice and helpful to get the sale.  The show is playing on those differences and trying to equate it racism so I stopped watching.

The white dad does seem like an ass who is looking for a fight but he comes across as hard working.  The white mom seems like a hippy that wants to get in touch with her emotions.  I predict a train wreck with her.  The white girl seems to take after her mom and wants to learn all about the culture and emotions.  She seems extreamly niave so I predict a train wreck with her as well.  The black mom I don't even know what she looks like as "white" so who knows what will happen with her.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:02:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I watched half the first episode and had enough.  Everything on the show is a setup just to get reactions.  Like taking the white dad in black make up and sending him out to look at buying a car to see if he is treated different.  Where did they send him?  A buy here/ pay here lot complete with iron fence and razor wire.  Then he tells the saleman that he has bad credit.  Gee, do you think he might have a slightly difference experience than what he was used to?  At the end of the day when he reported back to the family he said the saleman was still nice to him, came out quickly, answered questions, and just said he would have to put more money down because of his bad credit.  He said in his opinion he was treated in the manner that he's been treated as a white person at a car dealer.  The real black dad got upset and said "well you haven't been black all you life so you didn't pick up on all the racism".  WTF, he might not have been black but he's white and he should have a pretty good idea if he's being treated the same as he always has been.  The the black dad as a white guy goes to expensive pro shop to buy a set of golf shoes and the salesmens helps him try on shoe.  His response is, "Wow, white people get all the perks, I've never had someone help me put on a shoe before".  WTF is that.  If the shoe store he shopped at is anywhere near the car dealer with the razor wire no wonder but when you go in to a high end store, it doesn't matter what color you are the salemen are always going to nice and helpful to get the sale.  The show is playing on those differences and trying to equate it racism so I stopped watching.

The white dad does seem like an ass who is looking for a fight but he comes across as hard working.  The white mom seems like a hippy that wants to get in touch with her emotions.  I predict a train wreck with her.  The white girl seems to take after her mom and wants to learn all about the culture and emotions.  She seems extreamly niave so I predict a train wreck with her as well.  The black mom I don't even know what she looks like as "white" so who knows what will happen with her.

You have figured it out already...you cannot look away from a train wreck...well, most people. That is the draw.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:05:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Well....it sounded kind of interesting on some of the previews I saw and then the more I thought about it, the more I realized that it would just be a tool to drag out and rehash all the old cliches and social messages  that I am frankly sick of hearing about anyway.  

So why bother.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:10:25 AM EDT
[#8]
So, is it a show about whitie making the white man black so he can keep the white black man down or
is whitie making the black man white so whitie keep the black white man down.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:13:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I didn't watch it, but I am damn tired of seeing the previews for it while I am watching The Shield.

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:13:52 AM EDT
[#10]
No and won't!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:13:52 AM EDT
[#11]
NO I wont be watching. Why would i need to watch this show to prove that people are ignorant? If Hank Williams produced this show, people would be screaming "RACIST!!!"

I'll pass.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:33:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I just record it on the DVR and fast forward through them. It looks much better at triple speed.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:36:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I might give it a try.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:39:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I'll pass.....everytime I see the previews for it...I keep thinking about the SNL skit where Eddie Murphy dresses up as a white guy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:45:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Wish I had the time to but ... don't.

+1 on the Eddie Murphy skit though ... You'd think that makeup would have come a ways since 1985 or whenever that skit was on ... The family still looks like black people that have chalk on their skin or something.

The white family in black makeup looks a little better than C. Thomas Howell in Soul Man though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:47:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, ice cube endorses it so that is enough for me NOT to watch it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:47:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I would rather watch re-runs of old Pauly Shore movies.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:47:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Just another "reality" show which has zero to do with reality.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:54:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Eh, the first episode wasn't great but the show does have potential. The white dad seems to be going out of his way to be polite and agreeable when he is a black man. That in itself tells me he is a bit worried about being proven wrong about his views on racism. However, the black dad also seems to be very angry and paranoid about everything. What I do like about the show is that they are taking two families that both have a lot to learn with respect to race. It's not just an ignorant white family or an ignorant black family.

Hopefully this show will promote the idea that we still have a lot of work to do in order to become a color blind society but that at the same time black people aren't victims and they do believe in stereotypes just like whites.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:56:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Never watched it ,but was watching CNN with Paula Zahn, yea I know don't say it.
Anyways they had them on in a interview, and the black guy was a racist in the worst
way , in every thing he said. But no one called him on it.

makes me sick

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:03:53 AM EDT
[#21]
That is the stupidest premise I have ever seen on TV and will never watch any of that stupid keep hate alive drivel.  Rant off
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:21:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Not going to watch it.   I have sat thru 917 minutes of commercials for it during the Shield this season.  I think I have already seen everything it has to offer.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:24:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'd rather jerk off my German Shepherd with a rouge cat without leather gloves.

THERE's a sigline if I ever saw one!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The real black dad got upset and said "well you haven't been black all you life so you didn't pick up on all the racism".

Another interesting moment was when the white guy in black make-up and the black guy with no make-up were walking down the street together.  The black guy kept saying how white women were fleeing in terror at the sight of black men, and the white guy disagreed that they were only moving to the side a little so they could all pass on the narrow sidewalk.  Same place, same time, same people, and two VERY different perceptions.

I've run into this type of "professional victim" crap myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top